The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BBQ'n thick steaks..

nux4lyfe

Anyone got the formula, I'm trying to grill some steaks but since they are so thick, I have no idea how to go about them, Google want's me to read essay's that I don't have time for, so if anyone has it pat down plz help me out, about the temp and cooking mins, Thanks!

Are they still mooing? If so kill the cow first.... next turn grill up to high and put steak on for 5 seconds then flip and put back on to grill for another 5 seconds and your done!!!

Or cut to make thinner slices and marinate for 24 hours... depends on the cut I guess.

Rule of thumb is 4 minutes per side on high heat for 1 inch thick steaks for medium rare.

Add 2 minutes per side for each additional half inch

Add 2 minutes per side for medium, additional 2 minutes for mid-well and so on

On a bbq grill?

Get it as hot as possible. Depends on the grill but, I find 3-4 minutes per side is good for steaks that are about 1 inch thick. Then close the lid for maybe another 3-4 minutes (for medium rare) depending on how well done you want it. Then, most importantly, wait for 10 minutes afterwards to cool down. Do not cut into them right away or else it will bleed out all the juices.

Always cook steak on the highest heat possible.

Get an aggressive sear on them and then rest for a long time (15-20) mins on a board under foil and a kitchen towel.

If a steak is extremely thick follow the same procedure but perhaps throw the lid down as well and cook them longer than you would a thin steak.

Pretty much common sense. Just remember that resting is always key to getting the perfect cook on a steak.

Always cook steak on the highest heat possible.

Get an aggressive sear on them and then rest for a long time (15-20) mins on a board under foil and a kitchen towel.

If a steak is extremely thick follow the same procedure but perhaps throw the lid down as well and cook them longer than you would a thin steak.

Pretty much common sense. Just remember that resting is always key to getting the perfect cook on a steak.

K, I've never rested steak 20 minutes, but it will go cold long before even the 15 minute mark at medium rare. Also cooking the steak at its highest heat possible will make a thick steak raw in the middle and burnt on the outside as far as I can see.

K, I've never rested steak 20 minutes, but it will go cold long before even the 15 minute mark at medium rare. Also cooking the steak at its highest heat possible will make a thick steak raw in the middle and burnt on the outside as far as I can see.

First things first. You take the steak out of the fridge like an hour before you cook it so that it gets to room temperature. Not super long so that it breeds disease but just long enough to get warm. Like an hour or two.

Then crank the BBQ to maximum. As in turn every burner on to max. Super max. If you are using coals get them super uber red hot burning. If there's a thermoter on there then it should be at like 700.

Then put them on (each on directly over a burner) for five mins. Close lid right after to keep heat in.

Flip them. Cook five more mins.

Enjoy.

If you have an infrared side burner, do two mins a side on that, and then put them in for four each side on the main q.

This is my formula for the steaks I cut myself that are about 1 inch thick.

If your steaks happen to be a real fattty one like rib steaks I might take a little time off of even that as the melting fat cooks it even faster.

But the faster the better if it's a good cut of steak you just want it hot enough to kill the nasties and juicify the blood but not so much time to actually stew the beef. This is a steak not a roast.

Make sure the steaks are at room temperature,

This recipe works well with steaks from 1 1/2 inches on up. Just adjust the cooking time and if you really want to be sure use an instant read thermometer to check the centre. The temperatures noted below will rise about 5 degrees as the steak rests for 5 minutes, I wrap my steak in foil and then in a towel to stay warm.

Medium rare (126 degrees F core temp): Cooked to a red warm centre. No part of the steak is cold and very little of the steaks juices have been cooked away. This is how I like my steak.

Medium (135 degrees F core temp): The centre is hot and red surrounded by pink. The outside is brown and fully cooked. Medium has every part of the steak is piping hot when eaten.

Anything more and you cook the juices out.

Here is a standard pan sear recipe (cast iron pan or grill pan) that starts on the stove top and finishes in the oven (a standard technique used by restaurants for thick steaks) - Just make sure that the steaks dried and then are very LIGHTLY oiled - I use grape seed oil as it has a much higher smoking point than canola oil. Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper after oiling. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe/index.html

Archived