The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BBQ'n thick steaks..

nux4lyfe

There's a ton of fail advice in this thread. Wetcoaster is the only one in this thread I'd want cooking my steak as he's pretty close.

The french know how to cook their fine meats. For a steak you basically start with a room temperature steak, lightly oiled with salt and pepper. Next, get your oven going as hot as it will go, throw a cast iron skillet on the stove on high, and add your fat so there is liquid at the bottom. Most places say to use grapeseed or canola oil as they have the highest smoke points, but I prefer lard (I render it myself from pork leaf fat). Drop the steak in the pan, let it sit for about 2 minutes until the bottom looks "done". Flip it over, wait a minute, then throw the pan in the oven. Wait 4 minutes, flip, wait 5 minutes, then let it rest on a wooden cutting board for 10 minutes.

If you have a thicker roast like a prime rib, you do something similar but with the oven at a lower temperature. I usually use 275 F just to keep things moving along. Let the roast get up to room temperature, lightly oil the outside, add salt and pepper. Heat the roasting pan (cast iron if you can) up on the stove on high, add lard. Sear all sides of the roast for 2-3 minutes each until the outside is nicely browned (it'll still be raw on the inside of course). Put the roast on a cutting board, let the pan cool, and if the lard has blackened, throw it out. Heat the pan on med-low heat, add more lard. Then add 1/4c butter, several sprigs of thyme (they will pop in the oil so be careful), and several cloves of smashed garlic with the skins still on. Stir this around until the liquid takes on the flavour of the herbs. Put the roast back in and baste the roast with the liquid in the pan. Put it in the oven and baste the roast regularly.

I know obviously you'd miss out on the whole char bit on the outside for flavour, but I've heard good things about the whole steamer or 'cooker' things. Any of you meat people know if steamers are actually any good? It's one thing to hear about it in passing or see it on TV, but can the steamed and pressure cookerstuff be as good and flavourful as from on a grill? I know smoked is suppose to be the best but what a pain in the ass to have to wait like an entire day for it.

I know obviously you'd miss out on the whole char bit on the outside for flavour, but I've heard good things about the whole steamer or 'cooker' things. Any of you meat people know if steamers are actually any good? It's one thing to hear about it in passing or see it on TV, but can the steamed and pressure cookerstuff be as good and flavourful as from on a grill? I know smoked is suppose to be the best but what a pain in the ass to have to wait like an entire day for it.

Diamond shaped is nice

shapediamondbwlabeled.jpg

But I prefer square shaped.

shapesquaregraylabeled_pw.png

Oh wait.... If you rotate a diamond shape 45 degrees you get a square and if you rotate a square shape 45 degrees you get.... so just carefully place the plated steaks howsoever you wish for the desired geometric effect.

diamond-shaped.gif

Archived