The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wiese or Volpatti?

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Man, that is a tough decision but with Booth coming back and everybody currently in game shape (knock on wood) one of these guys is gonna have to be in the press box (unless AV decides to troll these forums by sitting Kassian...). They've both been playing really well and brought a lot of effort and energy to the lineup but they both bring different things as well.

Edge to Wiese

-speed & skating

-board battles

-can play on the PK

Edge to Volpatti

-fighting

-hitting and physical play

-occasional fourth-line scoring

Even

-passing and playmaking

-not taking dumb penalties

-overall effort

That's how I see it at least. I think the best and most likely route is to platoon these two guys depending on the opponent and who's going best at the time, because they're both good on the fourth line and it's best to keep them up to game speed.

Volpatti hands down for me. I like what he brings to the 4th line. I can't stress that part enough. You don't need 4th liners to make pretty plays and score. You need them to make big clean hits and get some energy in the lineup. A little bit of intimidation is what we need more than soft hands. Plus at least Volpatti can fight, and do it well I might add. I was so impressed with him challenging Reaves against the Blues just to get some emotions going. He plays with heart.

Archived