56 replies to this topic

#31 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

If you want to win the cup, then yea you need your 4th liners to score at some point.

Patty is the better fighter, but still, he has been destroyed in half his fights this year. Neither is a match for the big boys, best to go with the better player.

If you are expecting the 4th line to put up points then volpatti at least has a goal while playing exclusively on the 4th, while dale has gotten time on the 2nd and 3rd and fanned on shots.

I dont think either guy is going to score really, its more of a nice surprise when 4th liners score rather than being expected.

I would go with a volpatti-lapierre-kassian 4th line (amex on 2nd), although im sure av would wake up in cold sweats thinking about a possible defensive breakdown of volpatti and kassian on that line, but man would they hit and play physical on that line.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 18 February 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#32 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

I disagree. I think you have to look at the teams identity here. When you have 2 lines that are barely scoring then you need everybody to chip in offensively every now and then. But if you have 3 dangerous lines like we do with the combination of Schroeder, Hansen and Raymond on the 3rd line then I think you can afford to have somebody in your lining who's more on the intimidating side and who's capable of standing up for his teammates and others.

Weise is more than willing, he is bigger than Patty, at least in height. I know they both sport a whopping 1 point each this year, still, Weise is the more potent offensive and defensive player. He can hit, he doesn't choose to as often, but no doubt he can. Playoffs roll around and he'll get the memo. Fighting is so scarce in the playoffs, I see it as less of a factor and the majority of time to improve should be used on Dale as he is still so young and showed good production in the AHL. Also he's been killin penalties pretty well.

Weise lead the league in defensive % starts last year as a winger and came away pretty mistake free.

Would like to play em both, but that seems unlikely without injuries. Injuries are bound to happen tho.

We won 2 SCF games with goals from Lapps and Torres. Even a small offensive upside can make a difference, especially on a team that has suffered scoring droughts.

#33 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Volpatti 100%. He has genuine grit and an edge to his game. With Weise, it's all forced.

#34 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Volpatti, he knows what he's getting paid for, I feel weise try's to be a star once in a while and fails miserably, there both fast, volpatti is tied with lappy for 21st in league with 40 hits and team lead and is a plus 1 where weise isn't far behind at 33 but is a minus 1, pretty sure we see them take turns playing that is if kassian doesn't get sent down instead

#35 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Volpatti by a country-mile but should his play drop AV shouldn't hesitate to put in Weise, that way they both motivate each other to be the best they can be.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#36 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Volpatti

#37 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,480 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Beat me to it; although Volpatti is the better fighter.

I dont get it; one suspension and he's toast? He's certainly the better player.

Maybe the Canucks felt jilted because they signed him and he took half a year to play, or had an addiction... ??? :blink:

He definitely did not have the speed, and as soft as his hands were with the puck, Kass's were better. But last year Kess did not deserve Bitz's spot. I just don't get how he completely disappeared?

Bryon Bitz

#38 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Seeing how AV has no idea what he's doing I'm sure he'll make a new coin to flip.

#39 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

how about nun i say we trade for brouwer or someone and have higgins-lapierre and kassian

#40 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Aaron Volpatti is out. David Booth and Dale Weise is in tonight.

You play Volpatti against the Blackhawks. You play him against Dallas. You play Weise in Nashville and Detroit.

Posted Image

#41 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

From what i have seen Pinizzotto over both of them but if i had to pick one of these two it would be Volpatti.

I hope ths guy can finally get healthy and get some games with the big club in. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people and become a fan favorite!

As far as Volpatti and Wiese go imo their overall play is pretty much even but Volpatti is a much better fighter and is just a overall meaner guy.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 19 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#42 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Looks like Vigneault is going against the CDC consensus and keeping Wiese in there...I think AV knows what he's doing, Wiese had a point in the last game and Chicago doesn't really have any tough guys.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#43 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Both. Raymond can sit

Try watching 1 out of the last 5-6 games... Wow. He has been one of our top 5 best forwards.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#44 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I really like both of them to be frank.

It would be nice to solidify positions and lines even if it meant a change of personnel. We could package 2 of Booth, Raymond, Hansen, or Higgins for a stellar second line winger. Then, we'd have 4 fairly set lines with both Volpatti and Weise on our 4th (which increases our team toughness). We wouldn't be underutilizing anyone (e.g. Higgins on the 4th) and would have an upgrade on the 2nd line.

#45 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Both. Raymond can sit

You are an idiot.

#46 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I really like both of them to be frank.

It would be nice to solidify positions and lines even if it meant a change of personnel. We could package 2 of Booth, Raymond, Hansen, or Higgins for a stellar second line winger. Then, we'd have 4 fairly set lines with both Volpatti and Weise on our 4th (which increases our team toughness). We wouldn't be underutilizing anyone (e.g. Higgins on the 4th) and would have an upgrade on the 2nd line.

What good would a stellar winger do us if he has to play with Kesler? Good as Ryan is, he is not known for puck distribution.

#47 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I don't know who Wiese is but I prefer Weise. Also, why the long face?

#48 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,734 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

AV is a LW, Weise is a RW - Booth is a LW...

#49 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

AV is a LW, Weise is a RW - Booth is a LW...

And guess who's getting the nod?

AV's taking the night off.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#50 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I like both for all the same reasons the OP outlined. (BTW, good assessment.)

I reckon it depends on the opponent. Weise is bumping more than hitting, he is probably hurt. But brings speed. So slot him in when the team brings its speed game to a particular opponent.

Patty can slot in when the match up calls for more rough and tumble grinding against other opponents.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#51 kingfreako

kingfreako

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I voted for Weise.

Oh wait, it's not a poll...
Posted Image

#52 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Both. Raymond can sit

Can't tell if serious...

#53 dhawk11

dhawk11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Both are equally useless, and do nothing except sit in the box and put us a man down.

So the thread is about who is worse?

it's a tie

#54 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

i like both of them as fourth liners...still miss tanner glass though but if i had to make a choice between the two, im gonna vote volpatti

#55 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

What good would a stellar winger do us if he has to play with Kesler? Good as Ryan is, he is not known for puck distribution.

What if the winger was a stellar playmaker? I just know that we need a bonafide 2nd line winger, not a rotating door to play beside Kesler (I love Hansen, but him and Raymond beside Kesler just won't cut it as a 2nd line). Having set lines will dramatically increase chemistry come playoff time.

#56 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

As of right now, I'll go with Wiese.

Although, Volpatti might get more points playing with Ovechkin.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#57 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Awesome and relevant thread bump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.