The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Some emotion please!?

kamaole

I have believed in the Canucks, Coach AV and all for years. But, I must admit I am getting frustrated...before you all scream back, just consider this:

Ok, I know AV loves the "calm and collected" approach and the "no highs, no lows" but this team from the coaches to the players looks down right sedated!!! It's time for some emotion! The cool approach has brought us to presidents trophies but beyond that, we lose it. That calm approach works in the regular season for the most part...but I wonder if it IS time for some highs and lows? Some urgency, some emotion & pride; some "jam" and "chutzpah". Luongo gets run over last night, Kesler hit twice in the shoulder area and we looked like we did not care; "oh well". I am sure they care, but from where I was sitting looking at the jumbotron, what I saw: Coach chews gum, says nothing. Players look straight ahead sitting on bench staring into space. There is no consequence for other teams pushing us around.

After being a life long season ticket holder, I finally want to see some spirit and some "ya, you want The Cup, you'll have to go through us to get it!" attitude. Time for Coach AV to go all "Tortorella" at times.

Where has the heart gone? If I hear "be patient" one more time from coach, players or GM, I will be angry. That approach needs a changin'!

I also have a problem with the response after lu was run (there may have been a tiny push on backes) and the boarding calls on kesler. All 3 should have generated a response, but nothing. I don't expect it from this team considering no one ripped duncan keith's head off after his cheapshot on dan sedin.

The thing about the calm cool and collected approach during the season and then playing with emotion in the post season is the team isn't used to playing with emotion. Season play is more than just establishing a position going into the playoffs, its about finding, building and developing the tools needed for a deep playoff run.

I'm with you OP, this team needs to start playing with more emotion, energy and intensity, and then carry that play into the playoffs.

Hi again,

Yes, I know it's early in the season. However, we ended the playoff run 2 years ago against Boston the same way with the same phrases heard ("be patient. Let our skill take over. No highs, even keel etc...") and Boston when they woke up, took it to us. We lost the cup before they even realized what was happening. Last year, same thing. LA was on fire and we approached the game the same way. This year, again, the same approach.

I dont' see this team flipping the switch in the playoffs; they are lulled into a style that borders on catatonic. I want to snap my fingers and yell "wake up!". There are very few teams that can play low key in the regular season to great success then switch it up all of a sudden for playoffs.

That is why I am respectfully worried. I have heard a few phrases lately that concern me like "we were up 3-1 at the start of the 2nd, so we thought we had them". Really, not even half way through a game and you are content to sit back and take it easy in this league? Another one by BIeksa lately: "we did our thing early on and then we knew our skill would just take over". Really? In other words, the defence could then sit back?" That was in reference to the D falling apart a bit as the game went on.

Yes, time will tell. Maybe I am worried for nothing.. I have a funny feeling though, that we are going to hear "be patient" again.....all the way to losing in the playoffs....

i agree on all accounts.. this team under AV seems complacent.. the players may not act like it but for the fact that they cant seem to play a full 60, just like most of last season, their actions tell a different story.

lately they have not been playing great hockey but as the op said there seems to be a real lack of emotion, particularly from the coach and its become a problem imo. obviously none of us know what happens in the locker room but I for one would like to see our coaching staff be more engaged with our team..

Watching some Canuck games ,reminds me of watching those wild animal shows.

The ones where a lion or cheetah will take down a zebra or wilderbeast etc, and when the chase is over and they caught one of them, they calmly watch one of them being eaten alive (maybe one of the many reasons us fans hate the " zebras", is because subconsciously,we dont like it when our team behaves like the animal zebras) :)

I wish folks would stop saying "look at our record". It's what we are seeing (or not seeing) that predicts the future. This team needs some jump ASAP.

Even on the radio today hockey analysts were saying teams around the league know Vancouver to be somewhat weak & therefore no consequence to taking some liberties with our players. It's not about being goons, but it's about team togetherness; one-for-all kind of mentality.

Like I said, I might be wrong.....time will tell. If the Canucks don't go far in the playoffs, or even get in (remember, we are on a 2 game losing skid, going into Detroit, Chicago and Nashville...could become a 5 game slide worth 10 points), it will be due to lack of emotion, but hey.....

at least they will be "patient"/.

Archived