22 replies to this topic

#1 RFK

RFK

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I wanted to pose a quick question before tonight's game.

Sports commentators have obviously devoted a great deal of attention toward the Hawks/Canucks rivalry in recent years. I have seen two countdowns (a top 5 and a top 10) examining the most noteworthy episodes between the two teams. The Roger Neilson incident that provided the foundation for 'towel power' topped both lists.

While this was indeed a very historic moment for our franchise, does anyone else find it ironic that this incident (billed by many as the peak moment) had no actual bearing on the Canucks/Hawks rivalry? Indeed, it preceded the rivalry by several years (in my estimation, anyway). The two teams met in the '95 playoffs but that series was very brief. The rivalry didn't come about until the late stages of the 2008-09 season.

Edited by RFK, 19 February 2013 - 10:48 AM.

"This is, without a doubt, the most inconvenient war in history!"

-Charles Emerson Winchester III

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,166 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

We've been claiming an anti-canuck ref conspiracy ever since that white flag.
Posted Image

#3 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Towel power was less about a rivalry between the Canucks and the Hawks and more about the rivalry between the Canucks and the refs.
Posted Image

#4 Viking13

Viking13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm not sure what your question is in your post... What are you asking exactly??

Edited by Viking13, 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Bush league fans have made Luongo the scapegoat for Vancouver's shortfall... Typical...

#5 RFK

RFK

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure what your question is in your post... What are you asking exactly??

I was essentially asking if the fans appreciate the irony of this episode being widely regarded as the best moment in the Canucks/Hawks rivalry.

I apologize if it wasn't clear.

#6 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

I dont think so. The actual rivalry we have now didn't begin until '09, before that I dont recall any rivalry to speak of.

#7 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

I was essentially asking if the fans appreciate the irony of this episode being widely regarded as the best moment in the Canucks/Hawks rivalry.

I apologize if it wasn't clear.

I don't think it is "widely regarded as the best moment" in the rivalry. As you said, it was a long time ago and predates the current rivalry by a long time. It is an iconic moment in Canucks history but doesn't have much association with the Black Hawks IMO.

#8 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

as stated before, the towel was not waved at the hawks in surrender. it was waved at the refs by a coach who could see plainly that the refs could not be beaten.

#9 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

as stated before, the towel was not waved at the hawks in surrender. it was waved at the refs by a coach who could see plainly that the refs could not be beaten.

Even though I remember the incident, I had actually forgot that it was against Chicago!

I believe a lot of the credit for the fan's picking up on this and bringing towels to the next game goes to Butts Giraud, of Dog's Ear T-shirts (if I remember correctly he made and/or gave out the towels for fans to bring to the next game).

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,095 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

most noteworthy moment between the Canucks and Hawks /= anything to do with the rivalry between the Canucks and Hawks

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#11 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

it was canucks vs refs

#12 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

best moment in Canucks-Hawks rivalry: burrows game 7 OT

towel power: conceived as a result of our frustration with reffing. today, an awesome display of vancouver fandom.

#13 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

i wonder how the refs see it. i still see the towels waving as a call for a fairly reffed game. not to hope we get favoritisim.

Edited by canidiot, 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#14 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm not a fan of that white towel statue out front of the building. Doesn't anyone else think its funny to have a big statue of a guy surrendering out in front of the arena?

#15 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

i just tried to imagine AV waiving a white towel at the refs...that made me laugh

#16 canuckseh29

canuckseh29

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

The two teams met in the '95 playoffs but that series was very brief.

They lost in 4 straight in the second round to the 'Hawks. They lost in overtime, I think with a goal scored by Chris Chellios, and this would be the last goal scored and game played by the Canucks at the Pacific Coliseum.

6933864811_196d845896_m.jpg

Canucks all-time leaders in Points, (As of Jan 16th, 2013):

1. Henrik Sedin (838 pts - 192 goals - 646 assists [1st all time] 2. Daniel Sedin ( 801 pts - 305 goals [3rd all time], 496 assists [second all time] )   3. Markus Naslund (756 pts - 346 goals [first all time] ) 4. Trevor Linden (733 pts - 318 goals [second all time] - and 415 assists [third all time] ), 5. Stan Smyl (673 pts - 262 goals [third all time], 411 assists), , 6. Thomas Gradin (550 pts), 7. Pavel Bure (478 pts - 1.12 point per game [highest as a Canuck] ), 8. Toni Tanti (470 pts) 9. Todd Bertuzzi (449 pts) 10. Don Lever (407 pts)

#17 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

It's still one of the greatest Hawks/Canucks moments. Rivalry aside. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the defining moments of our history.

/=S=/

#18 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

best moment in Canucks-Hawks rivalry: burrows game 7 OT

towel power: conceived as a result of our frustration with reffing. today, an awesome display of vancouver fandom.

Although it should still be used as our frustration with reffing - cause they certainly haven't changed :D

#19 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

i just tried to imagine AV waiving a white towel at the refs...that made me laugh

Posted Image

/=S=/

#20 RFK

RFK

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

It's still one of the greatest Hawks/Canucks moments. Rivalry aside. I'd go as far as to say it's one of the defining moments of our history.

Absolutely. Its topping those lists indicates that it is of great significance to the league as well. Not a testament to the rivalry between the Canucks and Hawks but instead Neilson's daring and audacity. I think we've reached a consensus here.

#21 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

i think it really started when we "slayed the dragon"

Posted Image

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm not a fan of that white towel statue out front of the building. Doesn't anyone else think its funny to have a big statue of a guy surrendering out in front of the arena?

Roger was a genius and he started the whole tower waving phenom that is now seen as normal in every NHL rink today.
This was Roger's protest and to me,a silent but powerful act of defiance.

#23 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think the feelings if rivalry only came out in the last 5 years cause before that, for about 25 years, both team sucked large. Hawks and Canucks have arguably been the top 2 teams in the west for 5 years or so, hence the rivalry, as each is standing in the other's road to glory. Oh yeah, also, the Hawks have(or had) alot of good canadian players and that really pisses me off, as a canuck, more fuel for the fire.

Edmonton and Calgary still have a rivalry but it's not so pronounced these days cuz both teams suck so much, nothing really to fight for, if you see what I'm gittin' at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.