The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the antics back?

verybcman

If you're talking about right at the end of the game where the Canucks drew like 3 or 4 penalties .. those were all penalties. Kesler may have embellished a LITTLE bit on that boarding/hitting from behind call, but he was hit on the numbers with his face towards the boards so it was a penalty regardless.

"Dives"? Well Burrows did a beauty. "Embellishment"? Oh yes, Lou for sure, Kes on both penalties (he went down like he'd been shot, laid still for just a moment and then shot right back up) and, yes, even Sedin went down really easily. They're back, no doubt about it. The problem? It got us a point.

Speaking of "gamesmanship" anybody else laugh at Kesler complaining about the ice in the shootout, trying to psych out the noob goalie. Didn't work very well did it?

Guest Gumballthechewy

Just an fyi for everyone else, you can get a boarding penatly without hitting a guy in the numbers as well. In fact the 'hitting in the numbers' term is no where mentionned in the rulebook.

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

Well I guess we should never get a PP again because every time one of our players hits the ice it’s a "Dive" or "embellishment". I find it so pathetic that we seem to be the only team heavily scrutinized for this act, yet every team does it to some point or another. When someone from our team does do it I can’t stand to watch it but to say that we are the only ones who are guilty is rather juvenile.

Haven't watched the replay, but at the time I thought Kesler saw the hit was coming and turned his back just a little bit. Is that diving or embellishing? I don't think so, but I'd prefer he didn't do it. Refs have an up-close view of these things and get a pretty good idea of how certain players play. Players get reputations for themselves and it affects future calls. I think this is why we were so screwed by the reffing in the BOS-VAN final.

You mean that game against Dallas where the penalties in the second were 6-3 against us? Here's what I want - I want the refs to oversee the game with integrity. I want the penalties to either not be called at all (did you not notice how great that was?....where, in the first the pace of the game was fantastic? Let's do more of that) or called consistently on both sides.

Until then, we're lucky they don't use bull and airhorns to get the refs' attention. I don't like diving either, but didn't really notice anything that every single other team doesn't do.

Burr and Kes play with their hearts on their sleeves (Lu too)....with drive, determination, passion and intensity. So a bi-product of that is that everything is intensified and, in some cases, over dramatized. Hard to rein it in when you're fully engaged.

Archived