25 replies to this topic

#1 hero11

hero11

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Any one else disappointed in the lack of National Anthem coverage before the games?
Ever since I was a little boy, I can remember Hockey Night in Canada and the the national anthem being played every Saturday (at least). Listening to my parents sing along, and learning the words myself, always reenforced my pride to be Canadian, and the family bond it builds as we prepared to watch our Canucks. Now, as I sit with my son to watch hockey, one thing that is always looked forward to is the singing of the anthem. He was old enough to see how Mark Donnelly can get an arena of 18000 people to become one voice, 18003 including ours, and the powerful feeling of solidarity and pride it gave. He learned how to sing all the words this way, refreshing my own memories as a kid.
Rarely is it played anymore, and it's quite a letdown in our house.
It would seem that the almighty dollar is that is generated by a McDonalds commercial is more important than broadcasting the once proud moment of an entire province or country watching and singing our National Anthem at the same time.
Please bring the National Anthem coverage back!!!

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,768 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Playoff coverage is enough. imo Anthems just get in the way of the games starting. Afterall, it's a national anthem, but all Canadian fanbases hate each other. Nationalism?

Drop the puck.
Posted Image

#3 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

when else do we sing the National Anthem on a regular basis? Playing it before televised sporting events should be mandatory.
Posted Image

#4 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I always find anthems so cringe worthy, and unecessary... That's one of the reasons why I love TSN.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#5 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I thought this was going to be about phasing out the singing of the anthems before games, and I was going to wholeheartedly agree. Can someone enlighten me as to why we sing the Canadian and American anthems before games?

Posted Image

#6 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Can someone enlighten me as to why we sing the Canadian and American anthems before games?

Because it would be weird if we sung other countries anthems.

Edited by Monty, 19 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#8 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I hate having to sit through the anthems

It's bad enough with the damn refs fake dropping the puck and waiving people out of face offs and stuff.

Just drop the damn puck!

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Can someone enlighten me as to why we sing the Canadian and American anthems before games?

Because the teams are either from Canadian or American cities....

#10 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I don't think they can just add commercials in the anthem's stead. There is a limit to how many commercials can be shown in an hour. They would just prefer to show something else that might add value to the game. I like the anthem's but I often just take advantage and go to the toilet.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#11 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I love seeing the anthem sung before games, particularly the Canadian anthem in Canadian cities.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#12 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I thought this was going to be about phasing out the singing of the anthems before games, and I was going to wholeheartedly agree. Can someone enlighten me as to why we sing the Canadian and American anthems before games?

You're telling me you WOULDN'T want to watch Mark Donnelly belt out the anthem before a big playoff game?! Nothing gets me more hyped pre-game (playoffs) than hearing the anthems!!!

Edited by MaximYapierre, 19 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

/=S=/

#13 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

You're telling me you WOULDN'T want to watch Mark Donnelly belt out the anthem before a big playoff game?! Nothing gets me more hyped pre-game (playoffs) than hearing the anthems!!!

Maybe if I was physically at the game, but other than that; I couldn't really care less about the national anthems.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#14 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I usually don't watch the anthem, it's not the same. *being at Rogers

Playoff's is a must though.

Edited by The Phaneuf Train, 19 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#15 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I think it is important to show them for all playoff games but that is just me.

canucks141.png

#16 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

The only Canadian city that I love hearing the anthems aside from Vancouver is Winnipeg. So much pride and love for True North Sports & Entertainment for bringing the Jets back. If only Vancouverites would have the same amount of passion as people living in Winnipeg for hockey, things would be different

#17 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

The only national anthem I love to hear is when jim cornelison sings in chicago...that is beyond epic
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#18 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

But WHY do we do them? I think that's the question I'm asking.

Posted Image

#19 blaise

blaise

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

But WHY do we do them? I think that's the question I'm asking.

It's a super old tradition from the 1800's

Posted Image
Why Do We Sing the National Anthem at Sporting Events?
by Matt Soniak

On the night of September 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key, an American lawyer and amateur poet, accompanied American Prisoner Exchange Agent Colonel John Stuart Skinner to negotiate a prisoner release with several officers of the British Navy. During the negotiations, Key and Skinner learned of the British intention to attack the city of Baltimore, as well as strength and positions of British forces. They were held captive for the duration of the battle and witnessed the bombardment of Baltimore’s Fort McHenry. Inspired by the American victory and the sight of the American flag flying high in the morning, Key wrote a poem titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry.”
Posted Image
Upon his return to Baltimore, Key gave the poem to his brother-in-law, who noted that the words fit melody to the popular drinking song, “The Anacreontic Song.” Key’s brother-in-law took the poem to a printer, who made broadside copies of it. A few days later, the Baltimore Patriot and The American printed the poem with the note “Tune: Anacreon in Heaven.” Later, the Carr Music Store in Baltimore published the words and music together as “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

The song gained popularity over the course of the nineteenth century and was often played at public events like parades and Independence Day celebrations (and, on occasion, sporting events). In 1889, the Secretary of the Navy ordered it the official tune to be played during the raising of the flag. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson ordered that it be played at all military ceremonies and other appropriate occasions, making it something of an unofficial national anthem.
After America’s entrance into World War I, Major League Baseball games often featured patriotic rituals, such as players marching in formation during pregame military drills and bands playing patriotic songs. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one of the 1918 World Series, the band erupted into “The Star-Spangled Banner.” The Cubs and Red Sox players faced the centerfield flag pole and stood at attention. The crowd, already on their feet, began to sing along and applauded at the end of the song.
Posted ImageGiven the positive reaction, the band played the song during the next two games, and when the Series moved to Boston, the Red Sox owner brought in a band and had the song played before the start of each remaining contest. After the war (and after the song was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution in 1931), the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions like opening day, national holidays and World Series games.

During World War II, baseball games again became venues for large-scale displays of patriotism, and technological advances in public address systems allowed songs to be played without a band. “The Star-Spangled Banner” was played before games throughout the course of the war, and by the time the war was over, the pregame singing of the national anthem had become cemented as a baseball ritual, after which it spread to other sports.

Edited by blaise, 19 February 2013 - 10:52 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO

Posted Image
Posted ImageRIP Demitra, Rypien and lokomotiv team Posted Image

#20 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

The only national anthem I love to hear is when jim cornelison sings in chicago...that is beyond epic

Absolutely. Jim and the Chicago fans get the roof poppin, makes me borderline convert into a Hawks fan.

.. Until they're done and I snap back into reality.

Posted Image

#21 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

What about the hottie who sings for LA? :bigblush:

Posted Image

#22 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Never really understood the purpose of singing the visiting teams anthem, say how we sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" when a US team visits, or how they sing "O Canada" when we play in the States.
Posted Image

#23 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,183 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

I haven't been interested in National Anthems since Roger Doucet died. One of my fondest memories of my hockey "career" was getting to meet Roger prior to the final of a Midget tournament that I was playing in.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#24 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Total agreement. He's the only thing I like about the Chicago organization.

#25 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

Playoff coverage is enough.  imo Anthems just get in the way of the games starting.  Afterall, it's a national anthem, but all Canadian fanbases hate each other.  Nationalism?  

Drop the puck.

Hahaha, it is so funny because it is true, we hate all Canadian teams.

#26 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Where did the rest of Mark Donnolly go?
Did they fill up a beanbag chair in the back with all the meat he lost?

I love the anthems, in person and televised.
What really rustles my jimmies is that they now ask you to remove your caps. It's embarrassing to have to hear it for most of us, and it used to be the easy way to figure out how the morons were just by scanning the crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.