The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Budget

inane

I think you missed the sarcasm. The NDP don't think that the HST is part of the election platform. They understand that it's ancient history.

It was some guy who made a post earlier showing the Liberals election platform in point form and listed the HST as part of the list. I'll let you figure out who that was.

BTW: Raising taxes is the only way to pay for the social programs that everyone of the left side of the spectrum seems to believe the Liberals "don't care" about. If you read the article in the OP, the NDP has similar ideas.

I suppose that leaves you with no-one to vote for. Oh well, seems like you didn't want to "make the trip" anyway...

So is it a good idea or a bad idea? I don't see how it can be both.

If you think it's a good idea, then there should be no reason to complain. I'd prefer a government that decides to implement something suggested by their rivals if it was good for the province, rather than a party that vehemently opposes a good idea, (such as a better system of taxation) simply because it was brought in by the government. YMMV.

So is it a good idea or a bad idea? I don't see how it can be both.

If you think it's a good idea, then there should be no reason to complain. I'd prefer a government that decides to implement something suggested by their rivals if it was good for the province, rather than a party that vehemently opposes a good idea, (such as a better system of taxation) simply because it was brought in by the government. YMMV.

I'm not complaining about that. I believe if you want things, you need to pay for them--I've always said that. It's unfortunate that the same old 'free enterprise' Liberals took over a decade of 'tax cuts will pay for themselves' before here acknowledging they don't.

I have said selling off assets to balance your budget is a horrible idea.

The BC Liberal election platform; The worst of both worlds (left and right)

-Increasing Corporate taxes

-Increasing General Taxes

-Inceasing MSP every year averaging 5% a year

-Raising tuition rates (what were you paying 5 years ago?)

-Selling profitable crown corporation assets

-Spending millions of dollars of self serving praise government ads

-Paying millions of dollars to defend a corrupt Basi and Virk

-HST

-Increased the debt to the highest levels in BC history

Why vote for these clowns?

My point is that the NDP staged a campaign against the HST, for the sole reason of undermining the Liberals, knowing full well that the cost to the taxpayers would be enormous.

If you have an example of the Liberals doing the same, please post it.

Oh, did you have a point?

From what I could tell, you just chimed in on a debate I was having with another poster to ridicule the Liberals for adopting an NDP idea.

I replied that it was preferable to opposing a good idea just because it wasn't your own, especially when you know that your opposition could result in massive losses in revenue.

Any other point you're trying to make is irrelevant to what was being discussed.

To me, it seems like this government is all media and marketing, and no policy or governance. Have they actually put forward any notable policy proposals since they brought in Clark as the new leader? Have they done anything worthwhile except ad buys (we can debate whether this is in fact worthwhile, but it is something they've done, for sure)? I've never voted NDP but unless there is a third-party candidate it doesn't look like I'm going to have much choice here.

Archived