The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Budget

inane

See my post above.

I did argue the points and showed that the BC NDP has done this and much worse.

And the person with his hand in those past fudge-it budgets was none other than Adrian Dix. He was not only Premier Clark's chief of staff but was also the deputy minister when Clark was finance minister so pretty hard to claim he did not know what was going on.

Only if you ignore what the report was all about and take one line out of context.

This was one line lifted from a massive report (540 pages) on re-structuring the Ontario public service and if you read it you would know that the BC NDP would reject 99.99% of the report because it removes a great deal of power from public sector unions - the main power base for the BC NDP. The other major thrust of the report was spending restraint and that clearly is not something that the BC NDP favour.

Here is the report:

http://www.fin.gov.o...ters/report.pdf

So you are of the opinion that balancing your budet based on selling off assets at assumed prices is good economic policy? Would you do that in your personal finances? Sell off your house, car or other fixed assets so you can stay in the black?

And I don't care that the NDP have done it. Your race to the bottom mentality is sickening and is exactly why we get stuck with the least worst rather than anything better.

See my post above.

I did argue the points and showed that the BC NDP has done this and much worse.

And the person with his hand in those past fudge-it budgets was none other than Adrian Dix. He was not only Premier Clark's chief of staff but was also the deputy minister when Clark was finance minister so pretty hard to claim he did not know what was going on.

Better than any economic policies (or lack thereof) I have seen coming from the BC NDP.

The point is the BC NDP have done much worse in the past.

And people think it is a good idea to trust Adrian Dix who was at the centre of the past wrongdoing?

Of course that is an effect (you get money when selling an asset - what a surprise) but as the report by "respected economist Don Drummond" points out that there are good reasons to sell public assets and privatize government functions and agencies - something the BC NDP have opposed.

You did read and comprehend what Drummond wrote, eh? Or are you taking the blinkered (and disingenuous) Bruce Ralston approach and lifting but one line out of a very comprehensive report. That report runs totally counter to the policies espoused by the BC NDP.

No, it is not. I don't need to know what the NDP will do about topic x before knowing that what the Liberals are doing about topic x is wrong. Your reliance on the opposition to frame your thought is bizarre.

But I know why you think that. The NDP will come out with a proposed budget or set of ideas or whatever that will say x, y & z. You'll say 'look at how much worse x, y & z is than what the Liberals are saying' thereby continuing your race to the bottom while having to avoid critcizing the Liberal budget or even discussing it as you'll just discuss how much worse the NDP budget is.

No, it is not. I don't need to know what the NDP will do about topic x before knowing that what the Liberals are doing about topic x is wrong. Your reliance on the opposition to frame your thought is bizarre.

But I know why you think that. The NDP will come out with a proposed budget or set of ideas or whatever that will say x, y & z. You'll say 'look at how much worse x, y & z is than what the Liberals are saying' thereby continuing your race to the bottom while having to avoid critcizing the Liberal budget or even discussing it as you'll just discuss how much worse the NDP budget is.

If you include capital investments in your budget, then you can include capital sales as well.

Your point is that you don't want a structural deficit, where you have to always rely on capital sell-offs to maintain an operating budget. This is fair, but isn't necessarily what you said.

Archived