The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pregnant Texas Teen Wins Abortion Battle Against Parents

Wetcoaster

In a decision that makes it clear that the choice to have, or in this case not have, and abortion rests with the pregnant female - not her parents, boyfriend, etc. Pro-choice means choice.

However the court order compels the parents to support her.

A pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

http://news.yahoo.co...topstories.html

I wonder how long they have to support her and the kid.

One would think that when she turns 18 if they decide to sell the house and move to florida without her that they have the right to leave her SOL.

Heck, you see kids younger than 18 kicked out of the house all the time.

So her parents have to support her kid too? I know it'll be completely heartless to not protect your own blood, but whatever happened to "paying" for your own mistakes?

While I'm pro-choice, but unless she's gonna get a combination of scholarship, student loans and part-time jobs supporting herself and her child and make something of her life for her future without relying/leeching from others.... the better option is to abort the fetus.

The problem that I have seen is that the younger the pregnant girl is the more she wants to have the baby. She is ignorant to how massively this is going to affect her entire life. Ignorant to what she is going to have to give up on because of this decision. Ignorant to the massive amount of options that would have been open to her that will now be closed. A decision made from a point of ignorance is most often not the right decision.

Does she think the 16 year old boy is gonna man up and marry her? Support her? In any event her parents are going to be pulling most of the financial weight most likely at least for a couple of years and probably a lot more.

I'm glad she sided with not killing a fetus, it's tough to take responsibility as a teen for what you make, and it isn't the fetus/child's fault it was made, but I hope she and her dude friend can take care of the child they're going to bring into the world.. especially after graduation. I also hope she doesn't get resentful of the child, the responsibility of having it that early means depriving her of many parts of "fun" that teenagers/young adults have. Obviously not the wisest decision making but given the lawsuit she clearly wants the child so to me understands the implications.

Actuallly, the girl is just a 16 year old girl and her parents are entitled to do what they believe is best for her.

I find it absolutely nonsensical for the judge to on one hand rule in favour of the girl's choice yet in the same breath command financial responsibility from the parents who were dead against this for their own child.

Where the daddy at?

Then again, it is often the case that parents are to blame for their childrens' irresponsible behaviour.

Archived