The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Kesler Upset the Balance (Team Chemistry)? We Win without him!

The Dark Knight

We've also played Pacific division teams 5 times. We've always struggled against this division.

If we were playing Eastern teams like normal, our record would be even better considering we have played very well against the East in the past.

The other teams we've played in the central division we're 1-0-2 against. Not great, but it's taking shootouts for those teams to beat us.

He's been alright since he's been back. I'm also glad that A.V. didn't just plug Booth back with him and Higgins.

Moreover, I don't see how it can be justified that someone of his caliber could be left out of the Top 6 when he's 100% healthy. Sure he's definitely shoot first but his intensity and offensive skills are, in the end, what makes him valuable. I'd love to pair him with more complementary players, as in some combination of Kassian, Hansen, Burrows and Higgins. (Note I didn't mention Booth because in the end I don't think those two click, seeing how both are shoot-first).

The argument of him messing up the previous dynamic is also unproven IMO, since in the end Schroeder's increased ice-time was only available due to Kes' absence. It's only natural that he gave it back after Ryan returned (and the team's "slump" would've happened against stronger, non-Northwest Division opponents anyways).

Basically the team's center depth should be (against less physical teams): Hank- Kesler - Schroeder - Lapierre

whereas against more physical teams I'd go:

Dan - Hank - Kassian

Ray- Kes - Schroeder (protect Schroeder and Ray; I'm in the Keep-Jordan-from-playoff-3rd-line-duties camp)

Burr - Higgins - Booth (Burr and Higgins play center, plus this line would be physical and good off the rush)

Weise - Lapierre - Hansen

Chicago game was a breaking point, if we do good and get revenge against Dallas we'll be back on track. Just have to have patience.. I'm really looking forward to seeing a Booth, Kesler, Kassian line- bunch of big bodies. They just need to develop some chemistry and make plays, not all charge forward and shoot like morons. <_< And for god sake.... Stop with the across the crease passes, you guys are no good at them! lol Let's see the good 'ol "X" formation.

Welllll he's got another point tonight, and I know since he's been in the line-up we've looked shaky but...

I think it has more to do with AV. If AV played his cards right, the lines that were clicking (The speed line) would have been left unchanged, but he didn't and all of our forwards have had different line-mates literally every other shift making it very difficult for timing, and chemistry to develope.

So it's AV's fault, not Kesler's

Kesler disrupted the second line, which was nothing short of patchwork anyways. Sedins are still with Burrows, and Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen is still in tact. That is all that really matters.

The fact is, we played against play-off bound teams, and they exposed our system for what it really is. Broken.

He didn't upset team chemistry. He changed it.

The team doesn't think they need to play defense first, caution first. They are pushing more. Funny how it coincides with the Sedins starting to produce like their old selves.

This will be hard on a new defenseman (Garrison) who is now having to learn a new system (the Canucks "old" system, where they play up-tempo and fast instead of tight and cautious) on the fly.

So... I would rather see them play like they did against Chicago last night than like it was the first game. Even though they were being out-classed ;) At least they were opening it up a bit - and they have great speed so they should be able to excel at that style (they've done it before with virtually the same line-up - more youth in this line-up too, which makes it a bit of a learning curve again).

So: Kesler gives them the confidence to play like themselves, they have relaxed a bit. Without Schneider the score is 6-3 (might even have been 6-1 cause they wouldn't have pushed at the end). They will get back to hard work and playing 60 minutes at some point over the next few weeks, then let's see how they do in these statement games (if they have any left against Chicago would be interesting, not sure if they play Chicago again)

Yes and no. His (and Booth's return) means that players who had settled in to roles and were playing well have now been reassigned back to their more appropriate places. That in combination with Kesler and Booth being a month+ behind everyone else means their will be an adjustment period as they get up to game speed and players all readjust to their new(old) roles.

So their return has had a temporary effect on the team that will be solved with time and practice/playing, not their removal.

Welllll he's got another point tonight, and I know since he's been in the line-up we've looked shaky but...

I think it has more to do with AV. If AV played his cards right, the lines that were clicking (The speed line) would

have been left unchanged, but he didn't and all of our forwards have had different line-mates literally every other shift making it very difficult for timing, and chemistry to develope.

So it's AV's fault, not Kesler's

Archived