The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Kesler Upset the Balance (Team Chemistry)? We Win without him!

The Dark Knight

Crosby's return last year was only beneficial before the Penguins began to switch their lines. The Penguins didn't play well once Bylsma decided to put Crosby back on the first line by changing up his line combinations..I don't think the problem is too serious. The team just needs to get used to playing with new linemates

I think it has upset the balance of the team in terms of chemistry.

but I think they just need some time to redevelop some chemistry, because Kes has got some different linemates.

Personally. I'd stick Booth, with Kes, and then put a playmaker winger there. Like a Hansen.

But Hansen, Raymond and Schroeder were playing so well together before Kes' return.

Hopefully, this three game slide is over soon.

It's an interesting question; probably a bit...

Schroeder and Raymond don't look the same; not doubt in part because they are not on the ice in the same circumstance.

Goes to an argument I have been posting; do we really have all the right roles when we are all on hands on deck? If Schroeder and Raymond aren't on the ice in offensive situations, do they help us from the 3rd line?

Now QFT; Kesler has been good, Booth also played hard tonight. Them playing the same role Schroeder was before Kess came back did not tip anything in the wrong direction. The Hawks are just better, so are the Blues and Stars, than the NW rivals we were facing when we went on our streak.

I do believe we have to pull a trade, maybe two, to come up to the level of the leagues current big boys!

If there was an argument; I would suggest Burrows made the 2knd line better and who cares if Danny is not scoring if Kassian is? Now, if that had been Kesler, Burrows and Booth playing cleanup in a defensive role; Kassian disturbing the peace and providing a physical presence > I think we still would see substantial free ice for speedsters Schroeder, Raymond and Hansen; what big guy would be left to play against them?

So before a trade; I would also be happy to see Kass get another crack with The Twins.

;)

This team was on a real roll prior to Kesler returning to the line up, i'm just wondering if you guys feel like the reason for the team struggles right now are contributed to Kesler being inserted into the line up and messing up all the good we had going.

I just feel like outside of the powerplay, he tries to do way too much by himself still and you can see how quiet Raymond and Hansen become when they play with him. He still tries to be a one man army and puck hogs.

Kesler back change the entire team mentality into a run and gun, no defense game? Kind of odd how bad our D and goaltending is and how it's switched on a dime.

I thought he would add stability but he seems to have made things worse, no one other than the Sedin line has any sort of chemsistry or offensive pressure.

Thoughts?

More to do with AV....I mean why change the speed line (raymond-schroeder-hansen) when they were playing so well together?!?! This coach needs to get fired. He just hasn't been the same since he won the best coach of the year award a few years back. Most coaches have figured this tactics out. In terms of Kesler, I will say one thing. He really needs to stop with the diving. We were playing well, clean hockey, no diving whatsoever without Kesler and now that he's back in the lineup, all the old antics are starting up again and now Burrows and Lapierre are being influenced.

Here's my take on things...

Without Kes in the lineup, we played a more responsible defensive game. With Kes in the lineup, and now Booth, it looks like we are thinking offense-first. This isn't really a bad thing, as it makes for exciting hockey (I think we would all agree the first period tonight was pretty damn entertaining), but doesn't result in our desired outcome, which are wins.

Since Kes's return, the defense seem to be making bad decisions at the other team's blue line (i.e., glaringly bad pinches); and forwards are fumbling the puck in our zone near our blueline without getting the puck out because they're trying to make a pretty pass out of the zone.

As well, with Kes back in the lineup, other than the Sedins, Burrows, and Higgins, it seems like everyone else has decided to take a mental holiday (or to put it in another way, have had a collective let down in intensity of play).

Edler's play continues to deteriorate (in spite of his goal tonight)...he just doesn't look right to me (and it's more than the right side he is playing), so having him on the ice as much as he is doesn't help the cause at this time.

Lastly, I think AV has a lot to do with the three game skid we're on, with mixing up the lines trying to accommodate Kes's return.

I'm sure playing better teams in Dallas, St. Louis, and Chicago has something to do with our mini-slump, but I'm of the opinion that as we crank up our defensive intensity, we will see a return to winning ways.

The one thing I liked about tonight's game was that we showed veteran confidence in being able to come back against a really good Hawks team to at least gain a point (yah, I know, that's a small consolation prize, but it's still a point in the standings).

Welllll he's got another point tonight, and I know since he's been in the line-up we've looked shaky but...

I think it has more to do with AV. If AV played his cards right, the lines that were clicking (The speed line) would have been left unchanged, but he didn't and all of our forwards have had different line-mates literally every other shift making it very difficult for timing, and chemistry to develope.

So it's AV's fault, not Kesler's

i think its a fair question. the team was rolling without him. if there was any 'mistake' i'd say it was slotting him right back into the second line instead of starting him on the third for a game or two. i'll admit i'm a little biased though as i find his arrogance really annoying. i think he thinks he's a superstar with great hands. he's gotten away from what brought him success in the first place. i'd say a good example would be burrows. he's one of the smartest/most talented players on the team and he's had a lot of success the past few seasons yet he seems like the same old burrows that worked his way up all those years. maybe its an american vs canadian thing :rolleyes:

Kesler is still 13 games behind everyone else don't forget. It was nice for him to get a couple points, but I expect he'll hit a wall for a little bit here, until he gets up to game speed.

Knowing the competitor he is, it shouldn't take as long as the average player.

Archived