The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

I think Hansen was careless but not reckless and shouldn't be suspended. That being said how is Hossa careless in all of this? Hossa was reaching for a puck and was (unintentional IMO) hit by a player that was behind him. If Hossa was careless by not looking behind them while reaching for a puck then every player reaching for a puck would be too.

Next? not quite yet...

If you highstick a player and cut him its a bigger penalty than if you high stick him and don't cut him. Intent doesn't matter.

If you elbow a player its a penalty, If you elbow a player in the head, its a head shot punishable by suspension.

Intent is very hard to prove, see Cooke vs Karlsson incident. But when it comes to head shots its a bit different. Head shots are a serious issue in all sports right now, particularly NHL and NFL. The league is afraid of a class action law suit. They are not going to sit back and take a chance on head shots.

Intent or no intent won't matter. Hansen's forearm/elbow came up and hit Hossa in the head from behind. NHL does not want that play in the game. I see a minimum of fine and maybe a suspension of 1 game.

Edit. And please do indulge me on the other things you find I am wrong about.

Hossa dove. Hansen tapped him with his forearm, Hossa felt something on his helmet and flung himself forward. A UFC fighter couldn't hurt a little girl the way people seem to think Hansen hurt Hossa. You simply can't transmit any reasonable force with your forearm. Human beings just don't have the muscles to do it. Both players were at low speed, Hansen's arm was at an equally low speed, and his elbow never contacted Hossa's head. Without the explosiveness of an elbow or a punch, Hansen simply couldn't have hurt Hossa. If you don't believe me, try hitting something with your forearm outstretched. It's practically useless. You're more likely to hurt your arm because it's way too much surface area to hit something with.

All these retarded American hockey pundits keep using the term "forearm shiver" because they acknowledge the forearm was the point of contact but have no hockey knowledge so they default to football. In football a forearm shiver is done by bracing your arms close to your body and using full-body momentum to deliver a blow. Just the weight and muscles in an arm are nowhere near enough to do damage. Hansen essentially waved his arm about in as threatening a manner as "the signal" in Team America, and Hossa went down. He's a puss, plain and simple.

Not for a second can I believe that Hossa dove or was faking an injury. He has a history of concussion and if not that, easy enough to tweak something painfully. No way anyone can just watch a video reply and diagnose what happened.

Archived