The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

Very similar to the Keith hit on Daniel,. but Hansen disguised it a lot better. Guys he lead with his forearm, there was never any intention to swat the puck. If he did, he would have lead with his glove. This was definately a dirty play, not as obvious as Keith's elbow but still one that shouldn't be in the NHL. That being said I am fully behind Hansen for what he did.

Dirty or not, these Blackhawks needed someone to step up to them for what they've been getting away with the last 3 years and that's dirty plays. They won the Cup that way, they knocked Daniel Sedin out and now they finally get a taste of their own medicine. We may not have broken their streak, but Hansen's hit may have allowed the Sharks to do so.

Someone give Hansen an award. Suspensions are a joke in this league - a 5 game ban on Keith for what, 20 missed games and our playoff chances for Daniel Sedin? That is not a fair trade off and justice is not served with a short suspension. I hate to say it, but "an eye for an eye" is much fairer. It's the only way goons will learn that they can't get away with this crap.

How come no one has mentioned that Hossa actually backed up into Hansen? This is a chance for Gillis and AV to step up and get fine to stand up for the Canucks but AV won't. He has absolutelty zero passion and how do you expect your own players to play with heart when AV doesn't communicate with them and shows no passion whatsoever?

So, you are completely ignoring that Cooke legally hammered him at the other end of the ice befor this happened?!? That was targeting the head and as malicious as it gets. Watch it again and watch him just before he hits Cooke. He had every intention of taking cookes head off. Just like he did with Daniel. He should be branded a repeat offender, but he plays for a big American city. He can kill someone trying to stab them with his skate and shanny would call it an unfortunate hockey play.

I'm gonna take off my homer glasses and say that the hit was reckless to say the least. If it had happened to Daniel, our reaction would probably be the same and calling it questionable. By no means is the play any worse than Keith's elbow because at least the puck was in the vincinity of the players involved. It looked to me that Hansen realized he couldn't have won the puck battle as Hossa had position on him and so he tried to take the body instead, but he was already in the upward motion so he contacted Hossa with whatever was maneuverable at that time, which happened to be his forearm and elbow to the back of Hossa's head.

By definition of the principal point of contact, it seems to fall within the premises of hits to the head. However, I do not think that there was intent to injure but rather a reactionary play to hinder the opposing player in a puck battle. Any disciplinary action should be light as Hansen does not have prior history and it appeared to be just a reckless hockey play.

Hope Hossa is alright.

I think the suspension neglects the fact that things happen pretty fast....not sure what Hansen should have done "differently" on that play. For illegal checks there is an opportunity for the player to make the right choice (let up, keep elbows down etc) habits that the players need to instill into their play to make the game safer.

What should Hansen (and other players) learn from this suspension? I just don't see the lesson here, just seems punitive without any point and based solely on the end result of an accident.

Some have their homer glasses on. Some have their anti-homer glasses on.

Not sure which is worse.

I don't feel this deserved a suspension and wouldn't if it was our guy it happened to. If incidental hits to the head are one game suspendable then the league really needs an overhaul because there are a lot of players that should be suspended this week alone. Get crackin'

i dont believe that for a second. even taking an elbow pad to the helmet in the right spot can stun anyone. ive had several head injuries ranging from intense car accident, to aluminum pike pole smacking me in the hardhat, to a minor fall snowboarding. sometimes a smaller hit in a sweetspot will stun you more than a major one. then sometimes the effects of the smaller hit dont last as long and the major one gives you problems for months. I dont know why that is, im not a doctor or scientist but ive had the experiences and know you cant judge a head injury from watching it.

Archived