The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

The issue is that Bollig didn't drop the gloves and demand a fight with Weise, he simply sucker punched a guy who wasn't expecting it

You're absolutely right....and, with that, it appears the league's learned NOTHING since the Bertuzzi incident because an innocent looking "sucker punch" can quickly turn into something different.

So, let me see if I've got this straight as per NHL rules as we've witnessed them:

If you are ticked off and sucker punch an unwilling opponent you will be thrown out, charged, and carry a black mark for years. Oh, but not on Tuesdays and if you're wearing red? OK, I think I get it? :blink:

The day the NHL started assessing (don't be fooled, they do...Hossa is a perfect example) and determing the penalization based on the extent of injury was the day they really gave way to embellishing and diving. They're basically letting the players work it and the act itself should be the marker - not the pre-existing injury history or how badly someone is hurt (we can't coddle you - if you can't play don't). Or at least be consistent - in which case Boychuk? Hello? Sure, consider a repeat offender because, obviously, they need a strong message. But the injury itself is a luck of the draw thing and doesn't really indicate the viciousness of the hit. This was a very innocent swipe that is obvious now that Hossa's back. And yes, be proactive and cautious but also recognize that contact is part of this sport and this was not a "hit", it was a bump.

Anyhow, personally I've invested FAR too much energy on this one..."it is what it is". We've always had to find a way to battle through this crap and the NHL is becoming glaringly obvious, so will have to respond to that at some point. It discredits the game when it isn't played on an even playing field.

I saw a replay that was slowed down from the opposite angle, and it showed Hanson with a tire iron hidden up his sleeve. All kidding aside I can't stand Duncan Keith, he definitely is a liability for us especially come play-off time. Keith and Oduya suck dead donkey schlongs. Keith got 5 cause it was a first offense, Hanson got 1 because Hossa is a 34 yr old star who plays clean.

Blackhawks trolling us again, Hossa is already back at practice and not expected to miss any games. Every time something like this happens they get the benefit of the doubt and use their media advantage to make us look stupid.

Seriously though guys, everyone knows the Canucks are simultaneously the dirtiest and the softest team in the league, right? This stuff is totally bogus, Chicago can go to hell. They get away with more crap than anybody, they use their original six cachet and media reach to influence the decision-makers and everyone just goes along with it? Even though their franchise was total garbage for decades and couldn't even get their games on local TV. They needed the NHL head office to hand them a title in order to resuscitate their comatose fanbase. Blackhawks?

Since we're all talking about "forearm shivers" (it must be pretty chilly), remember when Eager hit Luongo in the head pretty much exactly the same way? That was what started this whole rivalry, that big ruckus the year before the Olympics. Nobody even considered suspending for that. Maybe because Luongo never pretended to be KO'd. But he's the flopper, and also every single other Canucks player? Let's all just not talk at all about Sharp grabbing buddy's stick and hitting HIMSELF in the face. Or how about Toews doing a swan-dive behind the net Tuesday (it was right before he drew that tripping penalty to Garrison), if that sequence had been Kesler it'd have been all over the place. Some total double-standard stuff there, everyone just go ahead and completely ignore Chicago's BS.

Screw 'em, they don't deserve to have that record they have, they are not that good. I've been completely unimpressed through two games this season, no discipline, cherry-picking all the time, they get all this special treatment and thinks that makes them good when really they're just lucky, like a girl whose daddy back in NY or Toronto buys her all this stuff so she thinks she deserves it. I could continue but I need to go to the liquor store...

Blackhawks trolling us again, Hossa is already back at practice and not expected to miss any games. Every time something like this happens they get the benefit of the doubt and use their media advantage to make us look stupid.

Seriously though guys, everyone knows the Canucks are simultaneously the dirtiest and the softest team in the league, right? This stuff is totally bogus, Chicago can go to hell. They get away with more crap than anybody, they use their original six cachet and media reach to influence the decision-makers and everyone just goes along with it? Even though their franchise was total garbage for decades and couldn't even get their games on local TV. They needed the NHL head office to hand them a title in order to resuscitate their comatose fanbase. Blackhawks?

Since we're all talking about "forearm shivers" (it must be pretty chilly), remember when Eager hit Luongo in the head pretty much exactly the same way? That was what started this whole rivalry, that big ruckus the year before the Olympics. Nobody even considered suspending for that. Maybe because Luongo never pretended to be KO'd. But he's the flopper, and also every single other Canucks player? Let's all just not talk at all about Sharp grabbing buddy's stick and hitting HIMSELF in the face. Or how about Toews doing a swan-dive behind the net Tuesday (it was right before he drew that tripping penalty to Garrison), if that sequence had been Kesler it'd have been all over the place. Some total double-standard stuff there, everyone just go ahead and completely ignore Chicago's BS.

Screw 'em, they don't deserve to have that record they have, they are not that good. I've been completely unimpressed through two games this season, no discipline, cherry-picking all the time, they get all this special treatment and thinks that makes them good when really they're just lucky, like a girl whose daddy back in NY or Toronto buys her all this stuff so she thinks she deserves it. I could continue but I need to go to the liquor store...

The issue is that Bollig didn't drop the gloves and demand a fight with Weise, he simply sucker punched a guy who wasn't expecting it and didn't see it coming. (Watch the replay again. You'll notice Weise has not dropped his gloves when he's being punched the first few times because Bollig just punched him the second he stood up, there was no "invitation" to fight as is customary and frankly should be mandated.) That's as dirty as it comes and is not what is considered acceptable fighting in the NHL. The only way fighting can be allowed in the NHL is if it's 2 adults consenting to it. Otherwise, it's just assault. That's why guys do the often elaborate "wanna go?" dance before actually throwing punches.

If an accidental hit (tap?) to the back of the helment is considered an illegal head hit why isn't a deliberate punch to the unprotected face of an unsuspecting person? The latter is far more likely to cause injury. And, apparently Hossa wasn't hurt either. He's already practicing with his team. Likely, he was simply (justifiably) scared when he felt something hit his head due to his history of head injuries. That does not mean, however, that Hansen deserves a suspension because of someone else's history but Bollig doesn't deserve a one just because the guy he sucker punched is made of granite.

Injury should not determine accountability as it's subjective. What will hurt one person will not hurt another. Telling players it's ok to do something dirty simply because no one got hurt this time only leads to someone else getting injured later. And that "sometimes it's acceptable, sometimes it's not" thing just creates dangerous confusion. Discipline by definition is holding someone accountable for their actions at all times, not the outcome sometimes.

Wait, wasn't the fact that Hossa was injured on the play a key part of the ruling? ... So if he doesn't miss a single game, is he actually injured?

Maybe he was just bored of the game and wanted to go have a nap in the locker room..

... This is dumb. Watched the interviews with AV and Hansen about it, they both seem stunned that it came down to a suspension. Coach V seems like he's probably pretty furious, a lot of "I don't have anything to say about that" obviously because he has nothing nice to say.

It appears it's business as usual with the shenanigans the NHL is pulling. I thought they were getting a handle on reffing and setting things straight until the run on Lu...laughable reffing at it's best and inconsistent disciplinary action is degrading the integrity of our national sport. An internal inquiry should be made and clean house. This league is becoming a joke and losing any credibility. I don't blame the Russians for wanting to jump ship and stay in the KHL.

I have a proposal. The NHL folds and each country creates their own league ie. Canadian League, US League, Swedish League, etc. and the best of those leagues play in a world tournament hosted in a different country every year, and the US league can continue to run a bush league and have their crappy, lack of fans team win their tourney to play in the world league and be exposed.

I apologize for my rant, I'm just tired of the lack of professionalism and integrity of this league.

A fine would've been more reasonable. Hansen is not a dirty player and has a clean record, so handing him a one game suspension is a bit much. I'm not as frustrated by that decision as the one for Keith, however .. now that was a joke.

And don't forget, Hossa probably won't miss any games.

It appears it's business as usual with the shenanigans the NHL is pulling. I thought they were getting a handle on reffing and setting things straight until the run on Lu...laughable reffing at it's best and inconsistent disciplinary action is degrading the integrity of our national sport. An internal inquiry should be made and clean house. This league is becoming a joke and losing any credibility. I don't blame the Russians for wanting to jump ship and stay in the KHL.

I have a proposal. The NHL folds and each country creates their own league ie. Canadian League, US League, Swedish League, etc. and the best of those leagues play in a world tournament hosted in a different country every year, and the US league can continue to run a bush league and have their crappy, lack of fans team win their tourney to play in the world league and be exposed.

I apologize for my rant, I'm just tired of the lack of professionalism and integrity of this league.

^Exactly re the slippery slope and soccer antics....God help us all if we end up going that route. I honestly will stop watching, as I may as well turn on the WWE at that point. We want the game to be an honest one - not one that allows for acting or drama.

I'm starting to believe that when play has been stopped for a man down and the player is helped off the ice after a lengthy delay, the "injured" player shouldn't be permitted to return for a game for precautionary reasons - especially if related to a head shot. That will ensure guys aren't simply selling their case - as they know that if they stay down, they'll be out.

That way, you make damn sure it's only injured players staying down and, in the case of Hossa and being "cautious" - well, that just plays into that. If everyone gasps and is so worried about a player with a history of injury, then the extra game off for that player wil be beneficial. Sure, the scenario will arise that someone is in pain but it turns out to be nothing serious and they are forced to miss a game needlessly, but it's simply part of airing on the cautious side.

It would have players rethink the drama. If Hossa is fit enough to shoot off his mouth in hinting that Hansen was guilty and then get right back out there without missing a beat, it likely indicates that the drama on the ice was just that. Sure, be precautionary but don't work it with a hidden agenda.

And head shots are a serious concern that, unfortunately, do need special attention. Off the ice...not conventiently during play, only to resume by getting right back out on the ice. If you had previous head injury and have just returned, resulting in a 2 minute sprawl face down, you likely should have some rest and miss a game or two "to be sure".

Said I was done, but smugness in Hossa's comments really irked me, along with his miraculous return to the ice.

The aura of sleeze that has surrounded Chicago forever has permeated the Poo-hawks, and even effected a player like Hossa, who once upon a time had "class" .. not so much anymore .. I am sure this created many chuckles among the Poo-hawks, but how Hossa can look in the mirror to shave is beyond me ..

^Exactly re the slippery slope and soccer antics....God help us all if we end up going that route. I honestly will stop watching, as I may as well turn on the WWE at that point. We want the game to be an honest one - not one that allows for acting or drama.

Archived