The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

I personally don't think it was intentional.

But I would not be upset if he got his wrists slapped. A fine; or one game?

Still hit his head, and abolishing hits to the head should be supported.

More than one game, too heavy > very light contact! Like being obligated to be responsible for your stick; intentional or not?

But it'd be funny if a player actually went to court asking for his pay back for the league being hypocrites.

For example Weise was jumped and sucker punched by Bickell after he delivered a clean hit. I would argue that punch in the head was FAR more likely to cause a concussion and he had every right not to be intentionally sucker punched???

:bigblush:

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a game for being "reckless", but there was certainly no intent there. Hansen has no history of dirty play, he was obviously reaching for the puck as the two men crashed together, and he only got a two minute minor, which Shanahan takes into account. Still, he'll feel the need to make some sort of statement, especially in Hossa has a concussion.

Having watched it again, I have to marvel at the hypocrisy on here. I don't what it was meant to be but I KNOW WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE.

We'll just have to wait on the outcome of the inquiry.

Suffice to say if it had been the other way round the BC Militia would be having all leave cancelled and told to report at 08.00 hrs for manoeuvres.

my gut feeling at the time was hansen opportunely used the puck as a way to disguise his intentional headshot. it was in the way he lunged; not a catching motion, more of a punching/elbowing motion.

his comments afterwards, pleading utter ignorance, confirmed my belief.

he should get a game or two.

how is grabbing a puck out of the air a "vulnerable position" in any instance where someone isn't being cheapshotted?

Give me a break. If someone's going to "cheap shot" another they don't do it by stretching in the air with a reach over the top like that. It's subtle and sneaky. This was purely coindicental contact and Hossa backed in as Hansen was focused on the puck. No different than this reach for a puck in the air....had someone been backing in here, we'd have the exact same scenario. So don't talk like it was a criminal act....he was trying to glove the puck down, as is down by players every single game.

This shot was from last night (we have great photographers)

162153424_slide.jpg

Put a guy backing up in front of him and we have the same deal here.

take off the goggles. watch the play. watch hansen lunge in a striking motion. read his comments after.

yes, it was sneaky. and yes, it was intentional.

edit: @ deb

furthermore, have you ever seen anyone else injured while reaching for a puck, of all the thousands of times the same play has happened since the dawn of the game? I haven't. because the only way an injury happens on that play is if it's intentional. there isn't enough force in a reaching motion to concuss someone. that requires a deliberate strike.

take off the goggles. watch the play. watch hansen lunge in a striking motion. read his comments after.

yes, it was sneaky. and yes, it was intentional.

edit: @ deb

furthermore, have you ever seen anyone else injured while reaching for a puck, of all the thousands of times the same play has happened since the dawn of the game? I haven't. because the only way an injury happens on that play is if it's intentional. there isn't enough force in a reaching motion to concuss someone. that requires a deliberate strike.

Haha....it's hilarious how many new accounts there are on this thread claiming they are Canuck fans but saying it was a dirty hit.

There was zero intention here and if this is what the NHL has become, its a joke. I once jumped for a puck and landed on a player half bent over and fell awkwardly to the ice and dislocated my shoulder. Did it suck? Yes. Did I wine and complain it was dirty? No. Did that player get penalty? No because this isn't the NHL.

If you play the game of hockey expect there to be accidental contact or don't play the damn game! If every time a player gets hurt it warrants a suspension then this league is quickly becoming a joke and it's sad that a lot of fans actually view this as suspendable. And for Toews, I used to respect the guy but more and more I am starting to see how double standard and blind he is with his comments on the Keith hit and then now his comments about the accidental contact with Hanson. Daniel didn't even ask for an apology from Keith on a premeditated head shot and here is their captain calling for a suspension on an accidental play.

The hatred for the Canucks and double standard people hold them to make me sick. Somehow we are the dirtiest team in the NHL still yet almost all of our current players have no suspension history.

Archived