The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

I'll add I don't think Hansen intentionally targeted the head but I think he meant to make contact with hossa after he had no chance at the puck.. That is where taking responsibility for your actions come in. If your throwing a hit or making any contact your arms must be down.

Hansen made a mistake there and obviously the league feels it was enough of one to contact him about it.

Remember when burrows got rocked entering the offense zone a couple games back?? if that hit isnt suspendable this shouldnt be either! If were looking at intent to injure as opposed to actual injury its clear as day hansen shouldnt be suspended!! Just cause hossa is a china doll rught now doesnt mean we should pay for it. No one else would have sustained the damage hossa has expect crosby maybe... He shouldnt be playing if he gets injured that easy. If you put the hit on burrows on hossa hes out for the year and the guy gets a 10 game suspension... Since its on burrows he justs gets up and scores a goal a few mins later :)

He deserves a 1 game suspension. He definitely tried to get a lick in on Hossa when he lost the battle for the puck... not trying to hurt him or doing it intentionally, but he was kind of careless.

Unfortunately, I also think there is probably 10 other incidents of forearms to the back of the head in games last night which aren't even being looked at. You see it along the boards and in front of the net ALL THE TIME!!!

You can't suspend based on intent or injury, that won't stop players from doing head shots. 99 times out of 100 that same play doesn't result in an injury and there is no penalty or suspension. If you want to take it out of the game, make it like high sticking... any contact with the head is a penalty... intent or injury doesn't factor into it.

The problem with it being such a grey area is that we can always point to another instance that was worse and didn't result in discipline.

I think if Hossa was truly injured on that play, for his own health he should think about giving up hockey altogether.

If he was injured from somebody's forearm contacting his helmet, what would happen if that same helmet contacted the ice or the boards?

Hockey's a rough sport and contact happens, I saw Kesler get elbowed into the boards head first in the St. Louis game. Kesler jumped up after the hit and carried on (it was 100 times as bad as that hit on Hossa and nobody said anything.)

If Blackhawk fans can't handle that hit then maybe they should stop watching hockey and focus on Baseball... how do the Cubs look this year?

Not sure if this was posted, but Kerry Fraser's take on it:

I do not believe that there was any deliberate or malicious intent on the part ofJannik Hansen to hit Marian Hossa in the head as both players went up for an airborne puck that had been flipped out of the Hawks zone by Jonathan Toews. The resulting contact to the back of Hossa's head was not worthy of anything beyond the minor penalty for roughing that was eventually assessed by the referees; albeit well after play was whistled dead for the Hossa injury.

Both Hansen and Hossa reacted to the approaching puck similar to a jump ball on the Bulls' homecourt in the United Center. Both players went up for the puck and in doing so, Hossa slid his body position to the right while Hansen moved to the left. Their focus and intent was gaining puck possession.

The movement of both players put them on a collision course as Hossa had the lead lane and the advantage to contact the puck first. From the back side position, Hansen would have to extend his reach over and past Hossa if he were to be successful in playing the puck. In real time and from a deficient position, Hansen's follow-through contacted the back of Hossa's head as both players moved toward one another and reached for the puck.

The roughing penalty (while justified) was arrived at after the fact because of some residual sensitivity surrounding a missed Raffi Torres headshot on Hossa last year in the playoffs which resulted in a 25-game suspension.

With Hossa laying in almost the same spot on the ice, it was imperative that the officials put their heads together to determine how 'Hoss' got there. The correct call was made on the ice.

It remains to be seen if any residual sensitivity will carry over into Hansen's hearing scheduled for this afternoon with the Department of Player Safety.

Stranger things have happened but I would be surprised if Hansen receives a suspension on this play. I have seen far worse hits that have gone unpunished this season.

Capture_zpsb11a2008.jpg

Anyhow, some here are hinting that Hansen was trying to knowingly take a cheap shot. It looks to me like he's focused on the puck, hand in the air, going to try to bat at it to keep it in. As is Hossa.

Or, perhaps, in a moment of temporary insanity that works for the CDC bashers, he decided that he first needed to flag down the ref and get his total attention? Before taking a cheap shot? Wave at them to make sure they saw? Like "hey you in front of me, watch this"???

Doubtful.

As Hossa rather carelessly also focused only on the puck and not his surroundings or the fact that a guy was going to try to hold the line, he backed up to swat it down. Then they collided. Just at that moment - AS they were focused on and trying to bat at the puck. Hockey's a fast game and momentum carries you. Doesn't mean you aren't responsible for your body, stick etc., just that it doesn't indicate that you're a head hunter when things happen at gamespeed.

Yes, careless. Not anything more.

Hossa is such a baby. State of the art helmet and he can't take a little nudge to the back of the head. I understand if his head hits the ice or gets slammed into the boards, but playing dead after someone accidentally hits you in the head while reaching for a puck is pathetic. I've been smacked in the head before by someone who was reaching for something without a helmet and I just walked it off.

Remember the 4 officials on the ice never called anything immediately after the incident. So they did not see anything wrong with it. They had earlier called a penalty on 2 players from each team; one for the trip and the other for a diving. In all it was one of the worst reffed games I have see in a while. It was more like the crowd calls the penalties there, but there were other goofs by the reffs and linesmen. It was game management at its worst.

No I get it, because fighting is allowed you should be able to throw elbows to the head as long as the puck is in the air. Gotcha

He didn't throw an elbow to the head. Quit stating your perception as truth and catering to the soccer injury mentality to blow this up.

I am glad to hear others reiterate my sentiments that:

1. if Hossa is so fragile and delicate, perhaps the decision should be made to pack it in? Because it's ridiculous to expect the coddling of a player based on previous injury. Did they go easy on Kes last night? (Answer: no, they targeted him every chance they got). And a gloved reach for a puck that involves contact will happen...if it makes you drop to the ground in a career ending injury, perhaps that assessment should have been made prior to your return and the decision to protect you made before someone made contact? Hockey is a contact sport.

2. if he isn't injured, and I hope he's not then this is a travesty and worthy of an Academy Award.

Archived