The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

Really though? He looked motionless and unconscious while face down on the ice, I thought he smashed his face in the ice and that they were gonna grab a stretcher. Then, after captain whiner complains for, and receives, a penalty in their favour, Hossa just pops up and hobble skates to the bench. It looked weird and fishy to me. Like others have said, if Hossa is made of glass so much so that he can't sustain an arm contact to the helmet.... I dunno man, the hawks should be concerned for his safety and perhaps force him to retire.

I can't believe there's a hearing for this. It's a hearing for the result and not the play? Is Hansen as responsible for his arms as Cooke is for his skates? So bizarre... but that game was a clusterfrack of officiating on both ends.

Someone had better remove all the blowdryers from Hossa's hotel room.....could be dangerous.

I'm sorry, I just can't get over the much ado about nothingness involved here. No disrespect intended toward a player who has sustained serious injury in the past, but people are reacting like he's been assassintated. TM

If he returns next game then I'll be pissed (and relieved - for his sake), if only because the "sensitive" nature of his condition obviously means he shouldn't be playing this high impact contact sport. Either you're fit for it or you're not. Decide.

Tough to see where Hansen gets worse than Giordano did for that hideous slew-foot, much more dangerous play. Not Hansen's fault Hossa can apparently be concussed by a slight breeze. I mean, let's say you're Shanahan, gonna suspend a guy because the other guy got hurt. But how much of that is residual from his last injury? I mean, the guy is apparently especially vulnerable. So, one game for Hansen and three more for Torres? How do you split that hair? You can't. Can't suspend a guy because the guy he hit is fragile, thin-skull rule does not apply to hockey discipline so far as I know.

Hansen deserved the 1 game.

For Christ sakes take off your homer glasses. He forearmed the Marian Hossa in the back of the head. (he even said he's aware of the guy's concussion problems...)

How do you propose he was going to actually reach the puck with his arm? Was he thinking his arm was going to go through Hossa's head?

Hossa dove. Hansen tapped him with his forearm, Hossa felt something on his helmet and flung himself forward. A UFC fighter couldn't hurt a little girl the way people seem to think Hansen hurt Hossa. You simply can't transmit any reasonable force with your forearm. Human beings just don't have the muscles to do it. Both players were at low speed, Hansen's arm was at an equally low speed, and his elbow never contacted Hossa's head. Without the explosiveness of an elbow or a punch, Hansen simply couldn't have hurt Hossa. If you don't believe me, try hitting something with your forearm outstretched. It's practically useless. You're more likely to hurt your arm because it's way too much surface area to hit something with.

All these retarded American hockey pundits keep using the term "forearm shiver" because they acknowledge the forearm was the point of contact but have no hockey knowledge so they default to football. In football a forearm shiver is done by bracing your arms close to your body and using full-body momentum to deliver a blow. Just the weight and muscles in an arm are nowhere near enough to do damage. Hansen essentially waved his arm about in as threatening a manner as "the signal" in Team America, and Hossa went down. He's a puss, plain and simple.

its fair. hansen was reckless ...not dirty but reckless...

there needs to be a penalty for hits to the head, much like the IIHF and the CHL. No tolerance to ANY shot to the head.

I am okay with this decision

and to those saying hossa dove... :picard: take off your homer glasses. to say that, you could say daniel sedin dove... :picard:

Hansen deserved the 1 game.

For Christ sakes take off your homer glasses. He forearmed the Marian Hossa in the back of the head. (he even said he's aware of the guy's concussion problems...)

How do you propose he was going to actually reach the puck with his arm? Was he thinking his arm was going to go through Hossa's head?

there needs to be a penalty for hits to the head, much like the IIHF and the CHL. No tolerance to ANY shot to the head.

and to those saying hossa dove... :picard: take off your homer glasses. to say that, you could say daniel sedin dove... :picard:

Like we need further proof this league is a joke - this confirms it.

3 lockouts in recent memory, bush league officiating and inconsistent discipline system. It has the workings of a 3rd world wreck league. You can spear your stick intentionally into someones groin (ana-Min game) in retaliation - and not get so much as a phone call from the league. But you can't jump up to retrieve puck - otherwise you're suspended. Ok then NHL, just so I'm clear.

Oranges and apples.

Archived