460 replies to this topic

#391 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

The Bollig/Weise thing was a totally different issue. Weise ran through Marcus Kruger with a vicious hit along the boards (but yes, it was clean) and Bollig took exception. Once the gloves were dropped, all bets were off as far as a call for hits to the head, if you fight, you except that possibility. Bollig took the instigator on that one, and the Hawks wound up on the PK. Weise wasn't hurt in the fight, so I don't see what your issue is with this.

Also, I have yet to see anyone reply to my concern about Hansen not having the wits about him to be aware of his surroundings on the ice. To me, that is a more worrisome issue at this point.

I think its obvious what ice orca was saying
It didnt happen the way You described it
Irregardless of Weises hit (which was clean)
No clean hard hits allowed?
Bollig starts hitting Weise in the head,before he knew it was coming
Weise still had his gloves on !
look at the vid on Youtube
So all bets shouldn't have been off
Its one thing to initiate it, its another to be a feline and sucker punch someone to the head.
Now had Weise been hurt and stayed down after being suckered with his gloves still on, how many games would Bollig gotten?
(Only if he had stayed down,would a penalty or suspension be considered,much like what happened to Hansen)

Edited by ba;;isticsports, 21 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#392 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Also, Hansen took a swing at Bolland's ankle and got away with it a few weeks ago.... I'm liking Hansen more and more.
Posted Image

#393 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Now had Weise been hurt and stayed down after being suckered with his gloves still on, how many games would Bollig gotten?

Probably at least a few.
Posted Image

#394 Rovy

Rovy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

So, Hansen gets 1 game for this hit. What's the over/under on Oliver for his hit last night on Tarasenko? My bet is sweet F-all, and that hit was far and away much worse than Hansen did.

#395 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I get worse hits than that with two people going for the puck in a no contact recreational league - no penalties, no suspensions. But, just one game - can't do anything about it anyway,

#396 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Also, Hansen took a swing at Bolland's ankle and got away with it a few weeks ago.... I'm liking Hansen more and more.

Bolland's whole game revolves around hacking, whacking and slashing players in the knees, legs, arms and groin area when the ref isn't looking. Nice to see him get a taste of his own medicine.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#397 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,394 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Per Rick Ball: Vigneault says he "got a chuckle" out of NHL explanation for Jannik Hansen suspension. Wouldn't elaborate.

307mg00.jpg

#398 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

The Bollig/Weise thing was a totally different issue. Weise ran through Marcus Kruger with a vicious hit along the boards (but yes, it was clean) and Bollig took exception. Once the gloves were dropped, all bets were off as far as a call for hits to the head, if you fight, you except that possibility. Bollig took the instigator on that one, and the Hawks wound up on the PK. Weise wasn't hurt in the fight, so I don't see what your issue is with this.

Also, I have yet to see anyone reply to my concern about Hansen not having the wits about him to be aware of his surroundings on the ice. To me, that is a more worrisome issue at this point.

The issue is that Bollig didn't drop the gloves and demand a fight with Weise, he simply sucker punched a guy who wasn't expecting it and didn't see it coming. (Watch the replay again. You'll notice Weise has not dropped his gloves when he's being punched the first few times because Bollig just punched him the second he stood up, there was no "invitation" to fight as is customary and frankly should be mandated.) That's as dirty as it comes and is not what is considered acceptable fighting in the NHL. The only way fighting can be allowed in the NHL is if it's 2 adults consenting to it. Otherwise, it's just assault. That's why guys do the often elaborate "wanna go?" dance before actually throwing punches.

If an accidental hit (tap?) to the back of the helment is considered an illegal head hit why isn't a deliberate punch to the unprotected face of an unsuspecting person? The latter is far more likely to cause injury. And, apparently Hossa wasn't hurt either. He's already practicing with his team. Likely, he was simply (justifiably) scared when he felt something hit his head due to his history of head injuries. That does not mean, however, that Hansen deserves a suspension because of someone else's history but Bollig doesn't deserve a one just because the guy he sucker punched is made of granite.

Injury should not determine accountability as it's subjective. What will hurt one person will not hurt another. Telling players it's ok to do something dirty simply because no one got hurt this time only leads to someone else getting injured later. And that "sometimes it's acceptable, sometimes it's not" thing just creates dangerous confusion. Discipline by definition is holding someone accountable for their actions at all times, not the outcome sometimes.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#399 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'm curious if people were playing centre field about to catch a ball and seen the right fielder about to collide with them at the last split second if they would start retracting their arm to a more defensive position.I like Hossa and don't like the fact he is hurt and I hope he's back soon but that's not a suspension or penalty.

#400 goal-ghost

goal-ghost

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

comparisons aside, man,
has the league ever changed its sensibilities.

Posted Image

#401 octapi

octapi

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

http://blogs.theprov...ns-into-a-joke/

Canucks don’t seem too worried about Jannik Hansen’s one-game suspension for the injury to Marian Hossa.

Neither do the Blackhawks.

Two days after crumpling to the ice in a hit that left him unconscious, Hossa was back on the ice skating with teammates

That’s some concussion protocol.

This is the same organization that had Dave Bolland playing in 2011 playoff games after a concussion, despite him still complaining to the media about “fuzziness.”

Seems like a joke. That’s how Alain Vigneault took it when he watched Brendan Shanahan’s explanation for the one-game suspension.

“This morning I looked at the explanation and I got a little chuckle out of it,” Vigneault said.

“It wasn’t a hockey play. It was a puck up in the air and Jannik had position.

“I basically said everything I got to say about that.”

#402 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Complete trash call. People can say it's only one game but the principle and reasoning behind it are completely bogus. And now Hansen has it on his record and can be deemed a 'repeat offender' for... playing hard?!

On another note, did anyone see that actor guy/Flyers fan David Boreanaz tweet calling Hansen trash? Lol what a joke.
Posted Image

#403 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Did anyone just hear Blake Price's "Price is Right" segment on Team 1040? I think he hit the nail on the head. The Blackahwks are either the most reckless, careless organization when it comes to head injuries, or they're complete frauds, with all the examples over the last few years of their players looking like they're injured on the ice then returning soon after.

In this case, Hossa either put on a big show in the game the other night and is fine, or he shouldn't be on the ice practicing and ready to play the next game. Luckily AV and Hansen know what's up. They're both laughing in the faces of Hossa, the Blackhawks and the NHL.

#404 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Complete trash call. People can say it's only one game but the principle and reasoning behind it are completely bogus. And now Hansen has it on his record and can be deemed a 'repeat offender' for... playing hard?!

On another note, did anyone see that actor guy/Flyers fan David Boreanaz tweet calling Hansen trash? Lol what a joke.

This is what I have a real problem with. Hansen is going to be judged now. There will be zero context or perspective as to the incident and how harmless it really was. Hansen is now an offender. Period.

I still find the whole thing ridiculous. He was reaching up in the air for the puck and his elbow caught Hossa's head. That's the definition of a HARMLESS INCIDENT. Unbelievable.

#405 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

What AV should do is make this a rallying point for the boys this season.
He should pull tape of Toewes accusing Hansen for deliberately trying to injure Hossa.
Talk to the team about how Hossa is "fine" after the suspension hearing.

Get the boys inspired so we go out there and kick the crap out of them.

What will probably happen in actuality is Chicago will come out flying next time these 2 meet to "avenge" Hossa. They will be in Hansen's face, etc and we will be on the defensive...

Sometimes its all about how you play the cards and the situation and all AV can do is "have a little chuckle"

#406 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Very true. Now Hansen can be labelled a "repeat offender" when he shouldn't even have been labelled an offender to begin with.

As for David Boreanaz's tweet, I wish you hadn't told us about that. Now I'm going to have trouble liking him on Bones! I mean, seriously, THAT's the hit you tweet about to call another person "trash" and say he now has a mark on his back? Seriously? Where was his outrage last year?!

*grumbling to myself...* And I've liked him since he was on Buffy.....

Did anyone just hear Blake Price's "Price is Right" segment on Team 1040? I think he hit the nail on the head. The Blackahwks are either the most reckless, careless organization when it comes to head injuries, or they're complete frauds, with all the examples over the last few years of their players looking like they're injured on the ice then returning soon after.

In this case, Hossa either put on a big show in the game the other night and is fine, or he shouldn't be on the ice practicing and ready to play the next game. Luckily AV and Hansen know what's up. They're both laughing in the faces of Hossa, the Blackhawks and the NHL.

That is the sad truth. Either he was knocked unconscious, meaning he got a head injury, or he wasn't and they just let people think he had been unconscious. Either the organization purposely let the NHL think he had been injured when they knew at some point that he wasn't (once they'd followed the protocol which one would assume and hope they followed just to be on the safe side given his history), or they are still not sure if he has a concussion and are just telling him to suck it up and get back on the ice. That seems rather blatantly either dirty or reckless to me.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#407 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Hossa says he "doesn't buy" that Hansen was reaching for the puck :rolleyes: Fanastic.
Posted Image

#408 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hossa says he "doesn't buy" that Hansen was reaching for the puck :rolleyes: Fanastic.

If true, a bit of a stupid comment by Hossa. He should take the high road IMO and just not comment at all or comment neutrally, and move on.

#409 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

1 game is fine. It wasn't as bad as Keith on Sedin, but headshots are not going to go unpunished anymore whether they are intentional or not.

But give me a break, the Canuck goggles need to come off here. If this had been Shaw on Kesler in the same situation everyone on this board would be calling for his head.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#410 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I still find the whole thing ridiculous. He was reaching up in the air for the puck and his elbow caught Hossa's head. That's the definition of a HARMLESS INCIDENT. Unbelievable.

The most important thing about the Shanaban video is that it's a higher-res version than anything else on youtube. When you see it without pixelation, Hansen's arm clearly contacts Hossa in the back, you can see his arm transfer the momentum to Hossa (and it's clearly not much), then Hossa throws his head forward and Hansen barely grazes him. It wasn't just a harmless incident, it wasn't even an incident. It was a dive Rinaldo would be embarrassed about.

Keswho.jpg

#411 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,429 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

1 game is fine. It wasn't as bad as Keith on Sedin, but headshots are not going to go unpunished anymore whether they are intentional or not.

But give me a break, the Canuck goggles need to come off here. If this had been Shaw on Kesler in the same situation everyone on this board would be calling for his head.

I have an issue with head "shot"....it wasn't a shot, it was a graze. A love tap. God help the next person who tossles his hair in a moment of kidding around. May be a civil suit and damages.

And I'm glad that Hossa is indeed so fit and uninjured that he can pass judgment on things and add his two cents...didn't miss a beat.

Posted Image

#412 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,206 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

comparisons aside, man,
has the league ever changed its sensibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1BpVUVhHZc

I was at that game

#413 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I INSIST you change your name to something else .. maybe to "I Wanna Be A Hockey Coach to 12 Year Olds" or something, because you obviously know little about the game, especially when played at high speeds .. have you ever played the game at all other than on your X-box with PlayStation? .. perspective is everything ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#414 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

For the record I like Hossa but..

Posted Image
Posted Image

#415 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Posted Image

Nice personal attack, homie. Strategically placed in a thread where I have been in the minority of the difference in opinion, i like it. Solid and sneaky moves like that keep the warning points off.

Will they teach me how to do that in Hooked on Phonics? I have 2 warning points already and want learn how to be Aladeen sneaky :bigblush:

#416 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I think its obvious what ice orca was saying
It didnt happen the way You described it
Irregardless of Weises hit (which was clean)
No clean hard hits allowed?
Bollig starts hitting Weise in the head,before he knew it was coming
Weise still had his gloves on !
look at the vid on Youtube
So all bets shouldn't have been off
Its one thing to initiate it, its another to be a feline and sucker punch someone to the head.
(Only if he had stayed down,would a penalty or suspension be considered,much like what happened to Hansen)

This is what I keep emphasizing to the people who advocate an enforcer. This so rarely happens, and when it does like in this case, has it stopped Weise from hitting anyone ever again or changing his playing style? Not a chance. Big deal he got into a wimpy hockey fight. 5 minutes later everyone has moved on.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#417 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,429 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Give it a rest, tough guy. You realize striking to the back of the head in MMA, a sport dedicated to hitting people in the head, is illegal. Apparently it's a tender area, but I'm no doctor or nothing.

You realize that Hossa had a hockey helmet on?

Posted Image

#418 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I love how the Blackhawk fans are complaning about this when there was nothing dirty about it at all.

canucks141.png

#419 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Nice personal attack, homie. Strategically placed in a thread where I have been in the minority of the difference in opinion, i like it. Solid and sneaky moves like that keep the warning points off.

Will they teach me how to do that in Hooked on Phonics? I have 2 warning points already and want learn how to be Aladeen sneaky :bigblush:

Hahaha Aladeen Sneaky, I like that homeboy! :lol:

But yo g srsly u may wanna grab yoself sum of dat huked on fonics, sum dey u can move outta da ghetto, 2 dat dulux aprtmnt on da east side in da sky. But u needz an edjewcation 4 reel dawg.
Posted Image

#420 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Give it a rest, tough guy. You realize striking to the back of the head in MMA, a sport dedicated to hitting people in the head, is illegal. Apparently it's a tender area, but I'm no doctor or nothing.

Cool story, but you still maintain that your opinion based in the fantasy world of your imagination holds up to mine and others' which is based in experience. Make no mistake that because we are equally allowed to express your opinion, that your opinion carries equal weight. Go out, do it, report back and you'll very quickly go "Yeah, it's total BS and there's no way one hockey player could injure another that way". You'll also note that the evidence supports that given that Hossa has serious concussion history and didn't even take a day to get back to game shape. "Medically impossible" is the term for that.

Keswho.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.