460 replies to this topic

#421 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

The issue is that Bollig didn't drop the gloves and demand a fight with Weise, he simply sucker punched a guy who wasn't expecting it

You're absolutely right....and, with that, it appears the league's learned NOTHING since the Bertuzzi incident because an innocent looking "sucker punch" can quickly turn into something different.

So, let me see if I've got this straight as per NHL rules as we've witnessed them:

If you are ticked off and sucker punch an unwilling opponent you will be thrown out, charged, and carry a black mark for years. Oh, but not on Tuesdays and if you're wearing red? OK, I think I get it? :blink:

The day the NHL started assessing (don't be fooled, they do...Hossa is a perfect example) and determing the penalization based on the extent of injury was the day they really gave way to embellishing and diving. They're basically letting the players work it and the act itself should be the marker - not the pre-existing injury history or how badly someone is hurt (we can't coddle you - if you can't play don't). Or at least be consistent - in which case Boychuk? Hello? Sure, consider a repeat offender because, obviously, they need a strong message. But the injury itself is a luck of the draw thing and doesn't really indicate the viciousness of the hit. This was a very innocent swipe that is obvious now that Hossa's back. And yes, be proactive and cautious but also recognize that contact is part of this sport and this was not a "hit", it was a bump.

Anyhow, personally I've invested FAR too much energy on this one..."it is what it is". We've always had to find a way to battle through this crap and the NHL is becoming glaringly obvious, so will have to respond to that at some point. It discredits the game when it isn't played on an even playing field.

Posted Image

#422 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

The NHL and it's refs are becoming more and more bush league every year, it's sad really.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#423 HawkFanBudMan

HawkFanBudMan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I saw a replay that was slowed down from the opposite angle, and it showed Hanson with a tire iron hidden up his sleeve. All kidding aside I can't stand Duncan Keith, he definitely is a liability for us especially come play-off time. Keith and Oduya suck dead donkey schlongs. Keith got 5 cause it was a first offense, Hanson got 1 because Hossa is a 34 yr old star who plays clean.
Boy howdy

#424 Serendipity

Serendipity

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hossa says he "doesn't buy" that Hansen was reaching for the puck :rolleyes:

I think this, above anything else, is what bothered me the most.

Like most, I don't think Hansen intentionally hit Hossa in the head. But the league saw something different and acted accordingly. Hansen's gone for 1 game. The decision was already handed down and THEN Hossa says this.

Seriously? Canucks have already lost Hansen, so why does he have to say what he said? He could have said something along the lines of "Unfortunately, it was a hockey play gone wrong and I hope players will think a bit more when jumping for the puck in the air" - anything along those lines would have sufficed. But claiming that he doesn't "buy" whatever Hansen was selling is just lame.

The situation was resolved by the league, take the high road. Don't keep dragging it through the mud by saying stuff like this. Just move on.

Edited by Serendipity, 21 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#425 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

POPULAR

Blackhawks trolling us again, Hossa is already back at practice and not expected to miss any games. Every time something like this happens they get the benefit of the doubt and use their media advantage to make us look stupid.

Seriously though guys, everyone knows the Canucks are simultaneously the dirtiest and the softest team in the league, right? This stuff is totally bogus, Chicago can go to hell. They get away with more crap than anybody, they use their original six cachet and media reach to influence the decision-makers and everyone just goes along with it? Even though their franchise was total garbage for decades and couldn't even get their games on local TV. They needed the NHL head office to hand them a title in order to resuscitate their comatose fanbase. Blackhawks?

Since we're all talking about "forearm shivers" (it must be pretty chilly), remember when Eager hit Luongo in the head pretty much exactly the same way? That was what started this whole rivalry, that big ruckus the year before the Olympics. Nobody even considered suspending for that. Maybe because Luongo never pretended to be KO'd. But he's the flopper, and also every single other Canucks player? Let's all just not talk at all about Sharp grabbing buddy's stick and hitting HIMSELF in the face. Or how about Toews doing a swan-dive behind the net Tuesday (it was right before he drew that tripping penalty to Garrison), if that sequence had been Kesler it'd have been all over the place. Some total double-standard stuff there, everyone just go ahead and completely ignore Chicago's BS.

Screw 'em, they don't deserve to have that record they have, they are not that good. I've been completely unimpressed through two games this season, no discipline, cherry-picking all the time, they get all this special treatment and thinks that makes them good when really they're just lucky, like a girl whose daddy back in NY or Toronto buys her all this stuff so she thinks she deserves it. I could continue but I need to go to the liquor store...

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#426 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hey Shanny .... you got played !

#427 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Blackhawks trolling us again, Hossa is already back at practice and not expected to miss any games. Every time something like this happens they get the benefit of the doubt and use their media advantage to make us look stupid.

Seriously though guys, everyone knows the Canucks are simultaneously the dirtiest and the softest team in the league, right? This stuff is totally bogus, Chicago can go to hell. They get away with more crap than anybody, they use their original six cachet and media reach to influence the decision-makers and everyone just goes along with it? Even though their franchise was total garbage for decades and couldn't even get their games on local TV. They needed the NHL head office to hand them a title in order to resuscitate their comatose fanbase. Blackhawks?

Since we're all talking about "forearm shivers" (it must be pretty chilly), remember when Eager hit Luongo in the head pretty much exactly the same way? That was what started this whole rivalry, that big ruckus the year before the Olympics. Nobody even considered suspending for that. Maybe because Luongo never pretended to be KO'd. But he's the flopper, and also every single other Canucks player? Let's all just not talk at all about Sharp grabbing buddy's stick and hitting HIMSELF in the face. Or how about Toews doing a swan-dive behind the net Tuesday (it was right before he drew that tripping penalty to Garrison), if that sequence had been Kesler it'd have been all over the place. Some total double-standard stuff there, everyone just go ahead and completely ignore Chicago's BS.

Screw 'em, they don't deserve to have that record they have, they are not that good. I've been completely unimpressed through two games this season, no discipline, cherry-picking all the time, they get all this special treatment and thinks that makes them good when really they're just lucky, like a girl whose daddy back in NY or Toronto buys her all this stuff so she thinks she deserves it. I could continue but I need to go to the liquor store...

You sir are my Hero!! wish I could + infinity this!
Posted Image

#428 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

It'd be nice to see Bolland get a suspension for all the times he's whacking the Sedins with his stick. I mean they look like slaves out there with all the the slashing Bolland is doing to their legs, arms and groin.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#429 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

The issue is that Bollig didn't drop the gloves and demand a fight with Weise, he simply sucker punched a guy who wasn't expecting it and didn't see it coming. (Watch the replay again. You'll notice Weise has not dropped his gloves when he's being punched the first few times because Bollig just punched him the second he stood up, there was no "invitation" to fight as is customary and frankly should be mandated.) That's as dirty as it comes and is not what is considered acceptable fighting in the NHL. The only way fighting can be allowed in the NHL is if it's 2 adults consenting to it. Otherwise, it's just assault. That's why guys do the often elaborate "wanna go?" dance before actually throwing punches.

If an accidental hit (tap?) to the back of the helment is considered an illegal head hit why isn't a deliberate punch to the unprotected face of an unsuspecting person? The latter is far more likely to cause injury. And, apparently Hossa wasn't hurt either. He's already practicing with his team. Likely, he was simply (justifiably) scared when he felt something hit his head due to his history of head injuries. That does not mean, however, that Hansen deserves a suspension because of someone else's history but Bollig doesn't deserve a one just because the guy he sucker punched is made of granite.

Injury should not determine accountability as it's subjective. What will hurt one person will not hurt another. Telling players it's ok to do something dirty simply because no one got hurt this time only leads to someone else getting injured later. And that "sometimes it's acceptable, sometimes it's not" thing just creates dangerous confusion. Discipline by definition is holding someone accountable for their actions at all times, not the outcome sometimes.

Sadly the world just doesn't understand this concept.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#430 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Wait, wasn't the fact that Hossa was injured on the play a key part of the ruling? ... So if he doesn't miss a single game, is he actually injured?

Maybe he was just bored of the game and wanted to go have a nap in the locker room..

... This is dumb. Watched the interviews with AV and Hansen about it, they both seem stunned that it came down to a suspension. Coach V seems like he's probably pretty furious, a lot of "I don't have anything to say about that" obviously because he has nothing nice to say.

#431 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

It appears it's business as usual with the shenanigans the NHL is pulling. I thought they were getting a handle on reffing and setting things straight until the run on Lu...laughable reffing at it's best and inconsistent disciplinary action is degrading the integrity of our national sport. An internal inquiry should be made and clean house. This league is becoming a joke and losing any credibility. I don't blame the Russians for wanting to jump ship and stay in the KHL.

I have a proposal. The NHL folds and each country creates their own league ie. Canadian League, US League, Swedish League, etc. and the best of those leagues play in a world tournament hosted in a different country every year, and the US league can continue to run a bush league and have their crappy, lack of fans team win their tourney to play in the world league and be exposed.

I apologize for my rant, I'm just tired of the lack of professionalism and integrity of this league.

Edited by Mauii, 21 February 2013 - 06:24 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#432 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

A fine would've been more reasonable. Hansen is not a dirty player and has a clean record, so handing him a one game suspension is a bit much. I'm not as frustrated by that decision as the one for Keith, however .. now that was a joke.

And don't forget, Hossa probably won't miss any games.

Edited by Bieksa's Quote, 21 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

"If a 6-foot-8 guy who can't skate asks to fight, you say no, then skate around him and score a goal."

#433 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

It appears it's business as usual with the shenanigans the NHL is pulling. I thought they were getting a handle on reffing and setting things straight until the run on Lu...laughable reffing at it's best and inconsistent disciplinary action is degrading the integrity of our national sport. An internal inquiry should be made and clean house. This league is becoming a joke and losing any credibility. I don't blame the Russians for wanting to jump ship and stay in the KHL.

I have a proposal. The NHL folds and each country creates their own league ie. Canadian League, US League, Swedish League, etc. and the best of those leagues play in a world tournament hosted in a different country every year, and the US league can continue to run a bush league and have their crappy, lack of fans team win their tourney to play in the world league and be exposed.

I apologize for my rant, I'm just tired of the lack of professionalism and integrity of this league.

I actually love that Idea, will never happen, but its a pretty cool idea!

Edited by Aladeen, 21 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Posted Image

#434 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I actually love that Idea, will never happen, but its a pretty cool idea!

Never say never
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#435 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Just using the standards most people use. If a 4th liner was injured, nobody would barely care.

ps: not condoning that methodology btw, just an observation. It's how the fans would likely react, and it's how the NHL reacts.

The thing is though a 4th liner probably wouldn't stay down.. the NHL is starting to condition players to react like soccer players (they didn't always flop like they do now) because it gets results, heck the discipline committee admitted the injury played a factor in the suspension - that's an awful slippery slope to start down.

Debate aside of if Hansen had the ability to hulk him out with an immense force from his fore-arm or if Hossa just is adverse to contact, watching the replay you can see after contact he drops himself (watch the legs) so I'm inclined to think he was playing it up and then the trainers/"concussion room" parties get involved and it's taken out of his hands. I think this is backed up by the fact he isn't expected to miss anytime but was apparently hit hard enough to warrant two minutes on the ice. Not to say he wasn't wronged - as any shot to the head should be punished, but by altering calls based on how much damage an act did to a particular person and not the act is just wrong.

If that crap happened to Zenon Konopka you can be sure he'd snap back up and be on the warpath.

Man our feud with Chicago has to be one of the best in pro sports and it just keeps getting more baggage added, got to love it.

Edited by snolan, 21 February 2013 - 10:15 PM.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#436 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,252 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

^Exactly re the slippery slope and soccer antics....God help us all if we end up going that route. I honestly will stop watching, as I may as well turn on the WWE at that point. We want the game to be an honest one - not one that allows for acting or drama.

I'm starting to believe that when play has been stopped for a man down and the player is helped off the ice after a lengthy delay, the "injured" player shouldn't be permitted to return for a game for precautionary reasons - especially if related to a head shot. That will ensure guys aren't simply selling their case - as they know that if they stay down, they'll be out.

That way, you make damn sure it's only injured players staying down and, in the case of Hossa and being "cautious" - well, that just plays into that. If everyone gasps and is so worried about a player with a history of injury, then the extra game off for that player wil be beneficial. Sure, the scenario will arise that someone is in pain but it turns out to be nothing serious and they are forced to miss a game needlessly, but it's simply part of airing on the cautious side.

It would have players rethink the drama. If Hossa is fit enough to shoot off his mouth in hinting that Hansen was guilty and then get right back out there without missing a beat, it likely indicates that the drama on the ice was just that. Sure, be precautionary but don't work it with a hidden agenda.

And head shots are a serious concern that, unfortunately, do need special attention. Off the ice...not conventiently during play, only to resume by getting right back out on the ice. If you had previous head injury and have just returned, resulting in a 2 minute sprawl face down, you likely should have some rest and miss a game or two "to be sure".

Said I was done, but smugness in Hossa's comments really irked me, along with his miraculous return to the ice.

Posted Image

#437 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

The aura of sleeze that has surrounded Chicago forever has permeated the Poo-hawks, and even effected a player like Hossa, who once upon a time had "class" .. not so much anymore .. I am sure this created many chuckles among the Poo-hawks, but how Hossa can look in the mirror to shave is beyond me ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#438 John Tortorella

John Tortorella

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hossa is playing tonight. Some protocol
"Oh, and torts is an amazing coach, a father figure type
Ex: yells at you motivates you, but tells you you're amazing and keep it up when you succeed, not AV, the guy that barely talked to his players
Torts will destroy the media hype and all the pressure they put on the players" Shredder 09:23 PM Friday July 5th

#439 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lol at hansens response to hearing hossa will likely play tonight

Posted Image

#440 Rovy

Rovy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

^Exactly re the slippery slope and soccer antics....God help us all if we end up going that route. I honestly will stop watching, as I may as well turn on the WWE at that point. We want the game to be an honest one - not one that allows for acting or drama.

I sincerely believe that to get diving out of the game, there is only one solution (and should be done in soccer and any other sport). Have EVERY game watched by a group of impartial (granted, there's the rub, the NHL doesn't have any impartial execs) people, and any time they see a clear dive, the player gets a fine. Start out with $1000, go to 2, 5, 10, 1 game, 2 games, etc.... Players will eventually get pretty damned tired of losing money. Do this on EVERY dive (whether the ref fell for it or called it or no call was made), and it'll sort itself out.

#441 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yup Hossa really got hurt from that "hit" he is playing tonight against the Sharks. :rolleyes:

canucks141.png

#442 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I am calling an official BS as the official BS caller. I became the official BS caller 37 seconds ago after the title was bestowed upon me by the queen.

^^^ Still less BS then this Hansen hit BS.

#443 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm curious if this whole incident had of happened in Vancouver, does this play even get looked at by Shanny's office?
Posted Image

#444 WHLhockey36

WHLhockey36

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

If the same play was made on Daniel he wouldn't have flopped on his face and played dead. End of story.

Right, because we all know Daniel has never taken a dive before......

Come on people, first why is anyone comparing this to Duncan Keith? Two separate incidents that have nothing to do with each other other then the teams involved. No one from Chicago ever argued that the Keith elbow wasn't intentional (at least that I can remember), most Chicago fans knew and said it was intentional (and deserved in their opinion for what Daniel did to Duncan earlier in the game). This is a simple case of Hansen going for a puck, and follows through with a forearm to the back of the head. He didn't elbow Hossa in the face in retaliation for anything, so why even bring up the Keith situation? Hansen was suspended for 1 game, part of me says he got what he deserved the other part of me wants consistency in the NHL and wondering why other incidents drew just a fine or nothing at all. The precedence is now set, if we see a play similiar to this and there is no hearing or suspension, then there is a beef to be made. For now, he got caught breaking the rules, he served his suspension, and it's over.

#445 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

NHL is now making suspension videos public:

Here's the link for Hansen's: http://video.nhl.com...nsole?id=203576

This is a video showing the "Evolution of a Suspension":

http://www.nhl.com/i...4&cmpid=nhl-twt

Edited by Heretic, 22 February 2013 - 03:56 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#446 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Looking like a big old soccer game out there. That's sport.

I know, I play it.

It's evolution if it becomes important enough.

Edited by Dogbyte, 22 February 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#447 bhawks21

bhawks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Intent does not matter. If an elbow, shoulder, forearm, fist goes high and hits another player on the head, its a head shot.

I don't think Hansen intentionally hit Hossa in the head either. Hansen doesn't have a history for this type of stuff so I expect him to get a fine. Maybe a 1 game depending on Hossa's health status.

This^

I intentionally let this play out before commenting. Before throwing me out since I haven't surfaced since the Keith incident, please note I was one of the ones not happy about Duncs being allowed back for the playoffs. His hit deserved more. Clearly if you are going to give Raffi an unprecedented suspension then Duncs even without a history other then head hunting Matt Cooke a few years ago deserved more.

However, this doesn't change how bad the replay looks. Hansen appeared at first glance to be swiping at the puck realized he couldn't get to it and led with the elbow in to Hossa. You hit a player in the head as initial point of contact it doesn't matter if it is intentional or not. They are trying to eliminate those hits and suspending for a game makes players that aren't playing on edge think about what they are doing on the ice. For the record I expected a fine and not a suspension.

#448 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Deserved it. Hit to head it hit to head. Doesn't matter if it's intentional or not.

Kinda like throwing the puck out of the glass. Penalty regardless.

Posted Image

#449 bhawks21

bhawks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

Someone had better remove all the blowdryers from Hossa's hotel room.....could be dangerous.

I'm sorry, I just can't get over the much ado about nothingness involved here. No disrespect intended toward a player who has sustained serious injury in the past, but people are reacting like he's been assassintated. TM

If he returns next game then I'll be pissed (and relieved - for his sake), if only because the "sensitive" nature of his condition obviously means he shouldn't be playing this high impact contact sport. Either you're fit for it or you're not. Decide.

With said history he came out of the game for a reason. He and the team obviously needed to make sure the hit wasn't going to relapse and reconcuss Hossa. There is no way a star two way forward so vastly important to a team is embellishing to sell even a 5 minute major in an early season game. Hossa has zero history of any of that. With the start the hawks have had they do not need the points that desperately to warrant it. Whatever way you stretch it the hawks with Hossa for the last 19 minutes are better off then him gone to have a PP where he is a key cog in anyhow.

Any hit that you don't see coming is always going to be worse then ones you see coming and can brace yourself for. Intent or no intent it doesn't matter. Hansen hit him in the head. Hossa's feet came out from under him and he also hit his head on the ice as well. I don't care who you are. Crosby reaggrivated his head with far less contact then what Hossa sustained the other night. The league is trying to eliminate careless and dangerous plays. That meets both criteria. I was fine with a one game suspension.

Edited by bhawks21, 23 February 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#450 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,252 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

"There is no way"....give me a break. So because you're a star player you're not capable of embellishing? He sure was quick to recover and assess what happened on the play...I would expect him to be a little foggy on it. But he states, with clarity, how it went down. And if he's going to play a contact sport he will be contacted. God, if he can't take a guy's brush as he swats at a puck what's going to happen when someone levels him with a good clean hit? When he came out of the game the reaction was that he was "down and out" and we see he clearly wasn't. It's all water under the bridge, but don't try to sell me one. Yes, Hossa is quite capable of working the situation to garner a little extra punishment to the Canucks...he is, after all, on a team that's gone the extra mile to do so.

And I'll add that I can accept the one game...he did contact him in the head and was responsible for that. But part of the suspension factored in that "there was an injury on the play" however, there was not. So don't tell me Hossa's actions weren't part of selling that....if he'd been hurt, I'd totally be singing a different tune. But he was using soccer antics to strengthen his case. I don't believe anything different, despite who he is.

As I've stated numerous times - can't have your cake and eat it too....if there was ANY sort of injury, with his recent history, I doubt he'd be back so quickly....that would be irresponsible and bordering on negligent by his team. I mean, if they're so worried about "said history...he came out of the game for a reason. He and the team obviously needed to make sure the hit wasn't going to relapse and reconcuss" and he was injured on the play, then I highly doubt he'd be back in there at game speed so quickly. There was no injury. And we shouldn't expect that guys have to bubble wrap him out there on the ice before they play the game as it is played - with speed, intensity and contact.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.