The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

If Hansen is suspended, I hope Princess Marian is hurt. He should be happy that Hansen isn't a goon.

If that was Jordin Tootoo, Hossa would have had his head taken off.

The way I see it, the Hawks kept Hossa off the ice to ensure action is taken against Hansen. You just watch, Hossa will play the next game for the Hawks.

Those refs didn't even call a penalty until Toews skated over and starting bitching at them. Somebody needs to put that kid on a stretcher.

If Hansen is suspended, I hope Princess Marian is hurt. He should be happy that Hansen isn't a goon.

If that was Jordin Tootoo, Hossa would have had his head taken off.

The way I see it, the Hawks kept Hossa off the ice to ensure action is taken against Hansen. You just watch, Hossa will play the next game for the Hawks.

Those refs didn't even call a penalty until Toews skated over and starting bitching at them. Somebody needs to put that kid on a stretcher.

Everyone's already getting super entrenched in how they view the play but I have 1 fundamental question:

1) Does anyone actually see contact to the head in the 3 views it was shot from? From the back it looks like Hansen's elbow hits Hossa between the shoulders. This looks like the initial and only significant contact. Can't tell what the glove is really doing but it does look just above head level. From the side Hansen's elbow still seems too low, and his forearm seems to contact Hossa but again, only after his elbow hits between the shoulders. From the top, Hansen again looks like he catches Hossa's upper back with his elbow and any forearm contact is almost non-existent as Hossa is already falling forward and turtling at that point.

Basically, I see 3 different angles that all complement each other, yet none that show contact until after Hossa's head is already thrown forward. Plus Hansen's begins outstretching his hand at the same time as Hossa but he looks to knock something far heftier than his hand which slows it down (likely his back, not his head). Nothing from that aside from Hossa's reaction, which seemed ill-timed, implies contact to the head.

I'm gonna take off my homer glasses and say that the hit was reckless to say the least. If it had happened to Daniel, our reaction would probably be the same and calling it questionable. By no means is the play any worse than Keith's elbow because at least the puck was in the vincinity of the players involved. It looked to me that Hansen realized he couldn't have won the puck battle as Hossa had position on him and so he tried to take the body instead, but he was already in the upward motion so he contacted Hossa with whatever was maneuverable at that time, which happened to be his forearm and elbow to the back of Hossa's head.

By definition of the principal point of contact, it seems to fall within the premises of hits to the head. However, I do not think that there was intent to injure but rather a reactionary play to hinder the opposing player in a puck battle. Any disciplinary action should be light as Hansen does not have prior history and it appeared to be just a reckless hockey play.

Hope Hossa is alright.

god the hawks fans are classless .. they're too busy chanting USA USA to actually learn about the sport .. wether hanson is suspended or not is no biggy in the scheme of things , but hearing those hicks talk about how classless our team is disgusts me ... one sedin has more class than that whole damn chicago team .. let alone 2 .. I cant wait to kick the hawks ass next game

I once tried to go for the puck, in the same way as Hansen did. Only different was, i hit the board instead and allmost tackeled my self in to the penalty boks. I can tell you there was absolutly no intent, But everybody had a good laugh. (except me).

Not guilty.

Archived