460 replies to this topic

#121 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think he will get 1 game. It wasn't intentional but players need to control their actions.
It wasn't like he skated across the ice to nail him but he is still responsible.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#122 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

They'll end up suspending Hossa for embellishment.

Honey Badger doesn't play that...

#123 GoodVibrations

GoodVibrations

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Because he is a Canuck he will probably get about 4x the suspension anyone else would . . . . eg. Aaron Rome

#124 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hossa backed into an elbow while trying to catch a puck in the air. If players are responsible for their actions in a fast paced game with split second decisions then they may as well skate around the ice with their head down and if anyone hurts them then it's not their fault because the other players need to be more responsible.

If that was the case then shouldn't Cooke, who has a massive suspension history, get a suspension for his skate cut on Karlsson because he should be responsible for his skate? Or when a player dives for a puck and his skate comes up and cuts another player, is that suspendable. If this is the point we are getting to in this league then it is truly sad.

#125 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,047 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

With the spotlight currently on head shots and the fact that while not intentional, it was a bit careless... I'd be ok with a fine/warning.

If they give him one game I'll be mildly miffed but grudgingly accept it due to the league's systemic idiocy with supplementary discipline.

Anything over that and I'll be :blink: :mad: :picard:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#126 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I hate to say it but I think Hossa took a dive. Stayed down to try and draw a call and after all his acting was 'forced' to go to the room because of NHL concussion rules.

Add in they were up 3-1 during the game, they probably felt hold him out and try and get your biggest rival a suspension.

The hit was completely a jump ball, both guys going for the puck and if you even look at Hansen's head he is squarely focused on the grabbing the puck. Add in Hossa backing into him there is NOTHING any player would have done differently.

It is not even reckless its an accident in a contact sport (hell that even happens in basketball!).

Chicago fans are some of the stupidest fans I have ever seen. If a Canuck or any player for that matter cheap shots another player, most rational people call a spade a spade and say yes it was bad, etc. I find american fans seem to just argue bc their player was hit vs looking at the play.

The same fans argued Duncan Keith's hit was clean when the puck was 20 feet away and he came from 25 feet with his elbow aimed straight at Daniel's head.

How Hansen can even have a meeting here is absurd. And I for one am tired of the refereeing in this league and players like whiny Toews.

As for the refs, what other professional league allows its refs to make 'make up calls' the following terms are constantly used in the NHL

1. Make up call
2. Even up
3. Marbles in the pocket
4. Losing control of the game

on and on

when do you hear this in football? baseball? basketball? Never right?

The NHL needs to start coming down hard on refs to make the RIGHT call, and not make a call based on any of the above terms. I've reffed, you can say the game is fast but if you've played it, reffed it, you know where and when issues happen. These refs are not missing calls, they are ignoring them and then making others up or cowering to fans and certain teams.

Its garbage and this season, across the board, not just Vancouver games, has seen probably the worst reffing I have witnessed in 30 years of watching the NHL (ex 2011 SCF).

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 20 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#127 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I found Hossa to be going down WAY too easy on that play. Either it's embellishment, or there's now way in hell he should be on the ice.
Posted Image

#128 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Trolling is an art.

Haha, I had to.

Edited by SonGoku23, 20 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Posted Image

#129 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

If this gets a game then Keith should have got 160 games for the Daniel hit. Im 155lbs n I think I could have took that tap better than hossa. What a softie

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#130 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think its brutal he gets a hearing, probably gets a 2 game suspension.

#131 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,269 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

If this gets a game then Keith should have got 160 games for the Daniel hit. Im 155lbs n I think I could have took that tap better than hossa. What a softie

Have you had a concussion before?

Sorry, Hossa is far from a "softy" - look how long he's been playing and still contributes.

The only "dive" I saw was by Kesler - and it was called - rightly so.
Kesler needs to focus on playing and not try to draw a penalty. We need him scoring goals.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#132 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sorry, Hossa is far from a "softy" - look how long he's been playing and still contributes.

Kesler needs to focus on playing and not try to draw a penalty. We need him scoring goals.

Nope I haven't... I'm just insulting a hawks player... can't I do that with peace on cdc? Still don't think it should be a suspension

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#133 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think your wrong about a number of things and this as well. ;)

He will get nothing as intent is a major factor. Players get hurt all the time by you logic any player who gets in the way of a clean hockey play the other player should get a suspension? Next...

Intent is taken into consideration, but only into considering length of a suspension. I watched it, and yes it probably deserves 1 game. Not that it was intentional, but regardless, it is up to a player to be aware of his surroundings, and to be responsible when elbows, forearms, and the like are near a players head.

I am a huge Hansen fan, and anyone who labels him a dirty player knows nothing about him, his demeaner on the ice, or his past as a player.

One thing I do have an issue with is that there is talk of a longer suspension because of Hossa's history with concussions. How can that possibly have an affect on the suspension. Are players supposed to be more aware of certain players because of their injury past? Do you expect players to identify other players on the ice who have a history with injury, and let up on them when they hit them.

If this is the case these players shouldnt be playing, simply for their own safety. Its a dangerous game, and you choose to play it.

#134 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Actually I saw 3 Hawks dive in that game last night, including their mighty captain. And you can call what Kesler did a dive but it was clearly a penalty before he ever embellished it. Clear interference.

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 20 February 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#135 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Actually I saw 3 Hawks dive in that game last night, including their mighty captain.

I agree. Kesler embellished but if you didn't see at least three dives from the Blackhawks as well then you are certainly only paying attention to the Canucks.

#136 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

my gut feeling at the time was hansen opportunely used the puck as a way to disguise his intentional headshot. it was in the way he lunged; not a catching motion, more of a punching/elbowing motion.

his comments afterwards, pleading utter ignorance, confirmed my belief.

he should get a game or two.

When has Hansen ever been known dont play that way? An intentional head shot? Come on. I agree it was reckless, but there is no way that was intentional. Now as much as I hate to admit it, and wish Hossa no ill will, is anyone else feel sort of satisified. Horrible I know. But you are all thinking it. ;)

#137 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Having watched the replay, Hansen either has really bad hand-eye co-ordination to catch that puck (he wasn't even close to an actual legitimate catching attempt with his hand), or he was leaning into the reach with the elbow after realizing he wasn't going to catch it and tried for the hit. Hate to say it, but its a bad hit, intentional or not. The other question is whether Hossa is really hurt as bad as he appeared to be. I suppose we'll find out soon enough whether her's out of the lineup next game, as a player with his history shouldn't be taking any risks.

Speaking of the intentional or not argument, its funny to watch and listen to the difference between the Sportsnet and Comcast play-by-play. The Sportsnet cast all feel its a clean play, while the Comcast analysts all use the "forearm shiver" term. Obviously its not nearly as cut-and-dry as the Keith hit on Sedin, but still, its a bad hit by Hansen.

That's how I feel after re watching it a bunch. The close up angle you can kind of see the puck flutter down in front of hossa. Hansen really has no chance at it at all anymore but seems to follow through with a little shot on him. I don't think he was going in with intention to elbow him in the the head but as the puck is coming down in front of hossa, hansens mind turns to puck battle and recklessly follows through with the little shot even though he has no chance at the puck.... You have to be a complete homer to think a professional athletes coordination is that bad that you swat at a puck 3 feet away leading with your forearm. Try to recreate it as best you can and swat at a puck your buddy throws three feet in front of you. Your reaching for it your not leading with your elbow.

I love Hansen but I have to take my Hglasses off on this one. There was a bit of reckless intent on that play. I think he just meant to push him in battle for the puck, not come in premeditated and do what Keith did. Even so that deserves something if they want to eliminate that from the game. Same reason you keep your hands down when you throw a big hit, people get hurt when you recklessly keep them up. If your going to swat at a puck, don't poke your elbow out at an opponents head.

That's my honest opinion and I'm a biased Canucks fan.. That being said screw the hawks, eye for an eye. They are just lucky we didn't fold Keith up like a lawn chair and give him a long Raymond style vacation.

#138 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,383 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

take off the goggles. watch the play. watch hansen lunge in a striking motion. read his comments after.

yes, it was sneaky. and yes, it was intentional.

edit: @ deb

furthermore, have you ever seen anyone else injured while reaching for a puck, of all the thousands of times the same play has happened since the dawn of the game? I haven't. because the only way an injury happens on that play is if it's intentional. there isn't enough force in a reaching motion to concuss someone. that requires a deliberate strike.

I'm glad you've appointed yourself judge and jury. But I disagree with you. Fully. Completely. And he's concussed now? Where is the link to the report?

And, honestly, it's really being played up by Chicago sportswriters. Now he was knocked out by a vicious hit. Spare me.

Posted Image

#139 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have no doubt it was accidental, and that Hansen was probably just reaching out for the puck, but he still needs to be aware of his body and his surroundings in plays like that.
I figure the league is aware that it wasn't intended as malicious, but I still think he will get a game or two.

Jagermeister.jpg

#140 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaG4GSyQ-tQ
Where was the suspension on this one?

I guess your assessment is wrong.

Are you not aware that this is before the blindside hit rules came in?

A major part of the reason to bring in the new rule was this hit.

#141 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

When has Hansen ever been known dont play that way? An intentional head shot? Come on. I agree it was reckless, but there is no way that was intentional. Now as much as I hate to admit it, and wish Hossa no ill will, is anyone else feel sort of satisified. Horrible I know. But you are all thinking it. ;)

Maybe that's how your mind works, but there are many that don't think like that. Hossa is a class act, just like the Sedins. Not that any player deserves to be injured, but Hossa/sedins are untouchable. They play the game the right way. The only person that deserves anything is Duncan Keith.

I found Hossa to be going down WAY too easy on that play. Either it's embellishment, or there's now way in hell he should be on the ice.

I have to agree.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 February 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#142 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I am sure Hansen will be fine.
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#143 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

was it intentional? no one but hansen can say....
was it dirty? no, but at the end of the day it is still a headshot.

the thing is...whenever I have got to catch something, my arm is always extended and ever bent like hansen's was.

i will say hansen gets 2 games.

we went through this with the keith hit...we hated it...which happens to be the same stance the hawks fans are taking now.

Edited by canucks.bradley, 20 February 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#144 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

First the refs don't even think it's a penaly but when Chicago asked for one, they got it. Now they're likely going to get Hansen suspended for what was obviously an accident as both players were going for the puck and only collided because Hansen was moving forward towards the puck while Hossa moved blindly backwards toward the puck, even though he knew Hansen was there.

I don't cheer anyone being hurt and I was upset to see him laying on the ice as much as any other decent person, but that doesn't mean that Hansen deserves a suspension for an accidental play. It was no where near the same kind of play as Keith's deliberate headhunting elbow to Daniel Sedin's head!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#145 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

When I first saw it it looked really bad, then I realized the puck was in the air and Hansen was clearly trying to catch it. Hopefully no suspension, this is kind of a case we've never seen before (accidental headshot while trying to catch the puck).

#146 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

we went through this with the keith hit...we hated it...which happens to be the same stance the hawks fans are taking now.

I'm sorry, do you mean the same fans who defended Keith's obvious, deliberate elbow to the head by blaming Daniel for a legal hit earlier they thought justified it? (You know, like the way they whined last night every time one of their players got hit, because apparently they, like Boston, can only dish it out.)

An accident and a deliberate elbow to the head where someone leaves their feet to make sure they do as much damage as possible are not the same thing!

Edited by poetica, 20 February 2013 - 11:05 AM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#147 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

If this same play was made on Daniel (another star player who suffered a concussion late in the year) Canuck fans would be screaming bloody murder. Bottom line is the hit wasn't as dirty as Chicago fans are saying and it isn't as clean as innocent as many Canuck fans are claiming.

#148 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Update from Dan Murphy:

#canucks landed in Dallas at 230am CT, will practice at 1pm CT, and Jannik Hansen will get a phone call from Shanny at 230pm CT.

#149 JoshuaGuy

JoshuaGuy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

If this same play was made on Daniel (another star player who suffered a concussion late in the year) Canuck fans would be screaming bloody murder. Bottom line is the hit wasn't as dirty as Chicago fans are saying and it isn't as clean as innocent as many Canuck fans are claiming.

If the same play was made on Daniel he wouldn't have flopped on his face and played dead. End of story.
Posted Image

#150 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

If the same play was made on Daniel he wouldn't have flopped on his face and played dead. End of story.

Hossa left the game and didn't return, you think one of Chicago's best players did that to sell a 2 minute penalty?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.