460 replies to this topic

#211 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Captain serious and Sharp thought it was dirty. So it must be dirty. I doubt any Hawk felt bad when Daniel was cold cocked last year so I could care less how Hossa is doing. 9 out of 10 Canucks fans had a smirk on their face when Hossa went down. Say what you want about me but deep down inside most of you had a tit for tat feeling about the Hossa hit.

i definitely did.. kinda feel bad for hossa but am happy to do that to the hawks

#212 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Captain serious and Sharp thought it was dirty. So it must be dirty. I doubt any Hawk felt bad when Daniel was cold cocked last year so I could care less how Hossa is doing. 9 out of 10 Canucks fans had a smirk on their face when Hossa went down. Say what you want about me but deep down inside most of you had a tit for tat feeling about the Hossa hit.

I did. I didn't see any of them complaining about what Keith did to Daniel. It's a little different when you're on the receiving end, eh? So quite frankly captain serious and co. can go blow it out their arse.
Posted Image

#213 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Not really. Vengeance only makes both teams weaker.

It sucks that we lost Daniel, but it also sucks that they lost Hossa. Now they may try to take out one of our top guys the week before the playoffs start.

#214 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Every game our top guys are getting ran at. At the top of every teams "to do list". Is hit the Sedin's and Kesler hard and often and sometimes not within the rules. I've never seen two guys take more cross checks to the lower back than the Sedin's.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#215 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

Anyhow, some here are hinting that Hansen was trying to knowingly take a cheap shot. It looks to me like he's focused on the puck, hand in the air, going to try to bat at it to keep it in. As is Hossa.

Or, perhaps, in a moment of temporary insanity that works for the CDC bashers, he decided that he first needed to flag down the ref and get his total attention? Before taking a cheap shot? Wave at them to make sure they saw? Like "hey you in front of me, watch this"???

Doubtful.

As Hossa rather carelessly also focused only on the puck and not his surroundings or the fact that a guy was going to try to hold the line, he backed up to swat it down. Then they collided. Just at that moment - AS they were focused on and trying to bat at the puck. Hockey's a fast game and momentum carries you. Doesn't mean you aren't responsible for your body, stick etc., just that it doesn't indicate that you're a head hunter when things happen at gamespeed.

Yes, careless. Not anything more.

I think Hansen was careless but not reckless and shouldn't be suspended. That being said how is Hossa careless in all of this? Hossa was reaching for a puck and was (unintentional IMO) hit by a player that was behind him. If Hossa was careless by not looking behind them while reaching for a puck then every player reaching for a puck would be too.

#216 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

1-3 games , Canuck fans will take it hard if Hansen is more severely punished than Keith. Because whatever Hansen did was not as severe or deliberate as Keiths elbow & 1-3 games is actually pretty stiff for a short season. Hawks fan can't really expect blood( i suspect they're being contrary, for the sake of being contrary) after what Keith did to danny and sat for 5. Just my two cents .

Edited by Justin6Schultz, 20 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#217 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

Not me. I felt bad for him laying there because as soon as a guy is laying on the ice the logo on his jersey doesn't matter. That's just a person who's hurt. And shame on the fans, ours and others, who forget their humanity in favor of team loyalty. (I'll never forgive Boston fans for "flopper." Ever.)

That being said, I still think it was just an accident without any intent to injure, unlike the Keith hit on Daniel. And I was livid at the Chicago fans for acting so pissed off at that hit when they were fine with, and even actively defended, the dirty, deliberate injury their player inflicted. Even before that they were calling for a penalty every time one of their players got hit because apparently every Chicago jersey is packaged with a pacifer.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#218 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I feel like if this happened to someone that didn't have a recent concussion history that this would talked about as much.

#219 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer
Vigneault when asked if he communicated his feelings to Shanahan about hearing being unnecessary: "Very clearly, very clearly," he said.

Let 'em know AV, but this will never do us any good since the NHL will hate us even more for being told off

This was necessary. (AV saying something, not the call itself)The last 3 games were all officiated by idiots blinder than Manny Malhotra, and something needs to be said. If I were Gillis, I'd consider my options for a more tangible protest such as refusing to send players to the all-star game if the officiating cotinues to be unacceptable.

Edited by Number14, 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#220 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I feel bad for Hossa though. He's one of the few Hawks i don't have a problem with.
Posted Image

#221 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I haven't heard one person who isn't affiliated with the Blackhawks in some way say they think Hansen will be suspended

#222 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think Hansen was careless but not reckless and shouldn't be suspended. That being said how is Hossa careless in all of this? Hossa was reaching for a puck and was (unintentional IMO) hit by a player that was behind him. If Hossa was careless by not looking behind them while reaching for a puck then every player reaching for a puck would be too.

the way i am trying to analyze it is what are they trying to accomplish? I think if they believe hansen intended to make contact with him (not saying intended to target the head but intended to give him a push or whatever to disrupt hossa from making an effective play) it has to be considered like recklessly having your arms up when delivering a hit. This has to be consistent if they want to eliminate the grey area. If we ever want to significantly reduce headshots allowing the offender the ability to prove a reasonable doubt has to be gone just like it is with the high sticking rule.

Im a huge Hansen fan but looking unbiasedly i think of these points
-Hansen never gives up on a puck. He's not dirty but if he loses a puck he is going to do something to try and make the guy that has it screw up
-the puck is coming down three feet in front of him, throw something three feet in front of you and see how bent your arm is trying to get it
-pretty much any player in the league would have tried to get a hand on hossa in this situation as he is going to get the puck and not you

this leads me to believe the contact was intentional but head shot was not targeted/intentional. Now do we want accidental head shots if contact was intentional? or do we want players to be responsibly keeping their arms down when making contact?

#223 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Decision on Hansen sup discipline expected tonight.

I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#224 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger
Decision on Hansen sup discipline expected tonight.

you gotta be ???? kidding

if it;s more than 1 game i'm going to crap my pants in rage

edit: read that wrong, made it sound like supplemental discipline is expected tonight but realize he means the deicision is expected tonight

Edited by Primus099, 20 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#225 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Karlsson severed 70% of his achilles tendon and skates off the ice. Hossa gets hit in the head by hansen, lays on the ice like he got shot.

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat, 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#226 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hansen suspended one game.

#227 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

you gotta be ???? kidding

if it;s more than 1 game i'm going to crap my pants in rage

edit: read that wrong, made it sound like supplemental discipline is expected tonight but realize he means the deicision is expected tonight

me too, he really doesnt deserve more than that. it was careless but there wasnt really any speed involved so the level of recklessness cant be argued very high.

#228 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

I haven't heard one person who isn't affiliated with the Blackhawks in some way say they think Hansen will be suspended

There was a commentator who was a guest on TEAM 1040 today, who said that Hansen should be suspended,

Hansen suspended one game.

Is that your opinion? Because if it is, could you specify that. You got me scared that that was the actual decision.

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#229 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Honestly why is hossa so injury prone. A little shot to the head and his down. Perhaps faking an injury

we've seen this same thing with previously concussed players over the last few years. once they suffer that first concussion they are especially prone to suffering head injuries down the line. even the slightest bump can really be damaging to a previously concussed player - we saw this with crosby. head injuries are a scary beast and a sad reality in today's nhl. doubt he was faking.

#230 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

There was a commentator who was a guest on TEAM 1040 today, who said that Hansen should be suspended,

Is that your opinion? Because if it is, could you specify that. You got me scared that that was the actual decision.

Video was shortly up, then taken down on NHL.com

#231 magoomba

magoomba

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Careless play by Hansen. No way he could reach the puck unless he jumped over Hossa.
I'm okay with a 1-game suspension.

#232 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

I'm okay with the 1 game suspension, didn't deserve one, but whatever.

Is there a source?

#233 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Next? not quite yet...

If you highstick a player and cut him its a bigger penalty than if you high stick him and don't cut him. Intent doesn't matter.
If you elbow a player its a penalty, If you elbow a player in the head, its a head shot punishable by suspension.

Intent is very hard to prove, see Cooke vs Karlsson incident. But when it comes to head shots its a bit different. Head shots are a serious issue in all sports right now, particularly NHL and NFL. The league is afraid of a class action law suit. They are not going to sit back and take a chance on head shots.

Intent or no intent won't matter. Hansen's forearm/elbow came up and hit Hossa in the head from behind. NHL does not want that play in the game. I see a minimum of fine and maybe a suspension of 1 game.

Edit. And please do indulge me on the other things you find I am wrong about.

If it is a follow through of a shot u can cut someones face open and it isn't a penalty. Intent matters. If there was no puck in the vicinity then it would be a bigger suspension (if at all) right? That means the fact he was *intending* to play the puck would factor in.

If intent does not matter and if "the league is afraid of a class action law suit. They are not going to sit back and take a chance on head shots.", then what about the Dubinsky hit 2 weeks ago on Scuderi?

#234 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

me too, he really doesnt deserve more than that. it was careless but there wasnt really any speed involved so the level of recklessness cant be argued very high.

Hossa dove. Hansen tapped him with his forearm, Hossa felt something on his helmet and flung himself forward. A UFC fighter couldn't hurt a little girl the way people seem to think Hansen hurt Hossa. You simply can't transmit any reasonable force with your forearm. Human beings just don't have the muscles to do it. Both players were at low speed, Hansen's arm was at an equally low speed, and his elbow never contacted Hossa's head. Without the explosiveness of an elbow or a punch, Hansen simply couldn't have hurt Hossa. If you don't believe me, try hitting something with your forearm outstretched. It's practically useless. You're more likely to hurt your arm because it's way too much surface area to hit something with.

All these retarded American hockey pundits keep using the term "forearm shiver" because they acknowledge the forearm was the point of contact but have no hockey knowledge so they default to football. In football a forearm shiver is done by bracing your arms close to your body and using full-body momentum to deliver a blow. Just the weight and muscles in an arm are nowhere near enough to do damage. Hansen essentially waved his arm about in as threatening a manner as "the signal" in Team America, and Hossa went down. He's a puss, plain and simple.

Keswho.jpg

#235 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I don't trust the NHL to be honest and fair.
They are selective when it comes to suspensions and fines.

#236 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hossa dove. Hansen tapped him with his forearm, Hossa felt something on his helmet and flung himself forward. A UFC fighter couldn't hurt a little girl the way people seem to think Hansen hurt Hossa. You simply can't transmit any reasonable force with your forearm. Human beings just don't have the muscles to do it. Both players were at low speed, Hansen's arm was at an equally low speed, and his elbow never contacted Hossa's head. Without the explosiveness of an elbow or a punch, Hansen simply couldn't have hurt Hossa. If you don't believe me, try hitting something with your forearm outstretched. It's practically useless. You're more likely to hurt your arm because it's way too much surface area to hit something with.

All these retarded American hockey pundits keep using the term "forearm shiver" because they acknowledge the forearm was the point of contact but have no hockey knowledge so they default to football. In football a forearm shiver is done by bracing your arms close to your body and using full-body momentum to deliver a blow. Just the weight and muscles in an arm are nowhere near enough to do damage. Hansen essentially waved his arm about in as threatening a manner as "the signal" in Team America, and Hossa went down. He's a puss, plain and simple.

Not for a second can I believe that Hossa dove or was faking an injury. He has a history of concussion and if not that, easy enough to tweak something painfully. No way anyone can just watch a video reply and diagnose what happened.

#237 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm surprised there is even a hearing.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#238 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I understand that the more concussions you have the more injury prone you are, but if that gives you a concussion, clearly you aren't ready to return to action. It looks to be like Hossa rushed his comeback.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#239 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hansen had position on the ice, where was the interference call on Hossa?

If Jack Edwards (Bruins broadcaster) was the Canuck broadcaster last night. Can you believe that, Hossa skates backwards and jumps into Hansen's forearm and knocks himself silly.

#240 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Not for a second can I believe that Hossa dove or was faking an injury. He has a history of concussion and if not that, easy enough to tweak something painfully. No way anyone can just watch a video reply and diagnose what happened.

Really though? He looked motionless and unconscious while face down on the ice, I thought he smashed his face in the ice and that they were gonna grab a stretcher. Then, after captain whiner complains for, and receives, a penalty in their favour, Hossa just pops up and hobble skates to the bench. It looked weird and fishy to me. Like others have said, if Hossa is made of glass so much so that he can't sustain an arm contact to the helmet.... I dunno man, the hawks should be concerned for his safety and perhaps force him to retire.

I can't believe there's a hearing for this. It's a hearing for the result and not the play? Is Hansen as responsible for his arms as Cooke is for his skates? So bizarre... but that game was a clusterfrack of officiating on both ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.