The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jannik Hansen Gets A 1 Game Suspension

Crimson-JH

I hate to say it but I think Hossa took a dive. Stayed down to try and draw a call and after all his acting was 'forced' to go to the room because of NHL concussion rules.

Add in they were up 3-1 during the game, they probably felt hold him out and try and get your biggest rival a suspension.

The hit was completely a jump ball, both guys going for the puck and if you even look at Hansen's head he is squarely focused on the grabbing the puck. Add in Hossa backing into him there is NOTHING any player would have done differently.

It is not even reckless its an accident in a contact sport (hell that even happens in basketball!).

Chicago fans are some of the stupidest fans I have ever seen. If a Canuck or any player for that matter cheap shots another player, most rational people call a spade a spade and say yes it was bad, etc. I find american fans seem to just argue bc their player was hit vs looking at the play.

The same fans argued Duncan Keith's hit was clean when the puck was 20 feet away and he came from 25 feet with his elbow aimed straight at Daniel's head.

How Hansen can even have a meeting here is absurd. And I for one am tired of the refereeing in this league and players like whiny Toews.

As for the refs, what other professional league allows its refs to make 'make up calls' the following terms are constantly used in the NHL

1. Make up call

2. Even up

3. Marbles in the pocket

4. Losing control of the game

on and on

when do you hear this in football? baseball? basketball? Never right?

The NHL needs to start coming down hard on refs to make the RIGHT call, and not make a call based on any of the above terms. I've reffed, you can say the game is fast but if you've played it, reffed it, you know where and when issues happen. These refs are not missing calls, they are ignoring them and then making others up or cowering to fans and certain teams.

Its garbage and this season, across the board, not just Vancouver games, has seen probably the worst reffing I have witnessed in 30 years of watching the NHL (ex 2011 SCF).

Let us put things in perspective ..

Weise throws a clean hit .. Bollig punches Weise twice in the face before Weise knows he is in a fight .. penalty = 2 minutes (the ten minute misconduct does not matter as Bollig plays about as much as John Scott)

Hansen accidently contacts Hossa's head with his forearm going for the puck .. penalty = 2 minutes after Toews cry-baby-puzzy antics and may be suspended ..

Hey Bettman .. now do you see why a lot of folks consider your League a joke? .. hardly surprising .. :picard:

Let us put things in perspective ..

Weise throws a clean hit .. Bollig punches Weise twice in the face before Weise knows he is in a fight .. penalty = 2 minutes (the ten minute misconduct does not matter as Bollig plays about as much as John Scott)

Hansen accidently contacts Hossa's head with his forearm going for the puck .. penalty = 2 minutes after Toews cry-baby-puzzy antics and may be suspended ..

Hey Bettman .. now do you see why a lot of folks consider your League a joke? .. hardly surprising .. :picard:

Ah Tearloch7, we haven't corresponded for a while. How are things? Do you see I've managed to acquire my 2nd warning since we were last in contact.............I understand I've only 3 to go now so I'm trying to make sure I keep them for a decent SC run. :lol:

On the weise incident I think weise knew it was coming and took 2 or the team to ensure the instigator penalty.. I would do that all the time if I played in the NHL. Throw the huge hit and wait till I get punched a time or 2 before I try and take the guys head off.

I don't know what you wanted more out of that penalty. You think they should of have given Kane 10 mins because bollig isn't an important player?

The most mind blowing part about all this is the people who compare this to the Keith hit on Sedin.......

I hate how people get suspended based on the injury and not the act. Clearly Hossa's brain was rocked way too hard by Torres if Hansen hitting him like that caused a tko. If that was anybody else and they get up right after then honestly there probably wouldn't have even been a penalty called, let alone talk of a suspension.

You know what i found interesting? Was the fact that Quenville wasn't even pissed, he usually just RAGES when he sees a dirty play.... all he had to say was "people are going to have their opinions and interpet it differently". I almost think he agrees that it was a hockey play I mean he saw it happen right in front of him. I can see 1 game just because of the contact with the head but when i see it over and over again I feel it was just such a weak play I've been hit like that in rec league and i dunno it feels surprising but common.... you pop right back up. If hansen meant to do it I think we would have seen a bit more force exerted with the hit ... not a love tap.

If he thought he could push through the back of the player in front of him.............ok he was going for the puck. What you are implying is like seeing the puck coming towards an opponents legs and taking your slapshot right though a leg to get to it. If the puck is not there to be got then you don't just follow through anyway................Which it appears Hansen did.

He may NOT have meant to strike/hurt the player but who knows? As I say you can only go by how it looks.

Why is it always a different set of rules applied on here when a Canuck infringes. Man up for crying out loud and move on. People on here are bleating like a load of sissies.

He thought he could reach around him and I have stills/pics that will support that (but, at work, so no time atm).

And I'm so tired of this CDC fan bashing with "people on here" stuff. If we're so pathetic, why do people stay? This is a fan site - of course we're more in favour of our team...show me a bleating fanbase that isn't? You think that's limited to Canucks? Bleating sissies is rather inflammtory and you've lumped everyone together. "People here" on the other end of that like to show how cool and PC they are at times too...so I guess we have to find a middle ground? Every single time a Canuck fan presents an argument doesn't mean they're wrong by default. So let's not take that stance, as it's too easy and, IMO, weak.

And before I go for lunch breakfast (is it really 1?), let me ask why this is fair.

Canucks don't play aggressive/tough/in your face because they're trying to stick to a game of skill, as was supposed to be the direction....- they're soft. Weak. Etc.

Canucks do and they have to be careful because someone might get hurt?

Are you kidding me? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, that style of play comes with risk of injury...but now, all of a sudden Canucks are the bad guys for participating? You don't think our guys have been hurt with reckless, in your face play? Canucks who have been run down, run over, run at the mouth by those challenging them to play tougher? Seems like a no win situation. They go out there and grind it out but, wait a minute - you're not supposed to hurt anyone in the process?? Because the Hawks will whine about it? Hmmm. Because no one's ever hurt us with that style of play before?

So every other team plays tough and they are applauded by some here. "We should play like that". Then we do and a "mishap" occurs (yes, that's what it was)....all of a sudden we're back to Bertuzziville? Oh my God, make up your minds.

Peace out, I have to go eat something before I gnaw on my desk out of frustration here.

You are missing the point .. I accidently hit you in the head and I could get suspended .. I drop my gloves and intentionally punch you twice in the head and it is OK? .. reading comprehension is a gift .. Hansen should have just dropped his gloves and punched him twice .. try and stay with me here .. :sadno:

Yes it was accidental elbow to head contact, but I do think Hansen made a careless play here. He had to know it wasn't a smart move and more than likely figured he could get away with a little added contact. It was a rivalry game so you have to know that refs will watch for added illegal contact.

Does it warrant a suspension? Maybe 1 game because of lack of previous history and the argument that could be made for it appearing to be somewhat innocent of a play.

If he gets anywhere near close to what Keith got on the other hand. I will lose my $###.

I'll add I don't think Hansen intentionally targeted the head but I think he meant to make contact with hossa after he had no chance at the puck.. That is where taking responsibility for your actions come in. If your throwing a hit or making any contact your arms must be down.

Hansen made a mistake there and obviously the league feels it was enough of one to contact him about it.

I'll add I don't think Hansen intentionally targeted the head but I think he meant to make contact with hossa after he had no chance at the puck.. That is where taking responsibility for your actions come in. If your throwing a hit or making any contact your arms must be down.

Hansen made a mistake there and obviously the league feels it was enough of one to contact him about it.

That is you and every biased Canucks fans view of an accident..

Why don't I lob a hockey puck up and have it come down 3 feet in front of you. You are not allowed to reach for it untill it's at shoulder height on the descent. Now lets see how you try to catch it??.... Are you staying with me, buddy? How bent is your arm trying to catch it?

Hansen took the opportunity to follow through and disrupt hossa from making an effective play on the puck. Unfortunately that contact was elbow to head and that is a big no no in the NHL. Hansen is not a cheap player but he never gives up on a puck if he loses it.

It only takes a little common sense to realize you don't bend your arm and ram your elbow through a guys head if your trying to catch a puck that is 3 feet away. Canuck homers will cry about it and say it was accidental but that accident just doesn't add up.

If your kid has chocolate all over his face and tells you he tripped and fell into it would you believe him?

And about weise.. You are giving the argument to eliminate hitting and fighting completely out of the game. We don't want that. All I'm saying is be responsible with your hitting. There's no need to follow through like Hansen did. The rules were enforced in full on bollig, there is no issue with officiating there.

Archived