The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the defense system break down against speed and size

yete

I believe it does

against la if you recall this year I saw La players just controlling the boards and the canucks D-men could do absolutely nothing

last years series against LA same old tale la just went into the boards cycled around and the d-men could not break it they got pushed around

and tonight you all saw what happen players just use there speed and size.........(hossa)

and look back to st lous game another team that was big and outplayed canucks

so i don't know if its the system or the defense....

thing is before playoffs they better fix or else we will see a similar tale that we are use too seeing in the playoffs

Pretty much any defense breaks down to size and speed....that's why everyone wants it. Might have to tweak the system at times. Every other team (well sometimes it seems like 29 other teams) collapses to the net. Something the Canucks don't like to do.

Pretty much any defense breaks down to size and speed....that's why everyone wants it. Might have to tweak the system at times. Every other team (well sometimes it seems like 29 other teams) collapses to the net. Something the Canucks don't like to do.

Our defense was absolutely terrible tonight... So many giveaways, breakaways, odd man rushes, and apparently none of our D could skate worth a damn

The reffing was awful too, but that's a given... Apparently Ballard can't check a guy who has the puck, but Hawks are allowed to have 6 players on the ice..

Schneider played pretty great though

When our defense is noted to be a problem, i look at our offense. In particular our two-way offense. More specifically, the lack of anyone up the middle who can help Kesler out at all in this regard.

With all due respect, Henrik is NOT a two-way capable force. Never has been. Probably never will be. This is why the Sedins are on the ice for a lot of goals against in the playoffs vs. teams that can contain Sedin offense.

Schroeder is just a kid now, but will he ever be an effective two-way force? Probably not. Moreso than Hodgson maybe, but that's not saying much. I don't see a lot of Mike Peca or Patrick Kane in Schroeds so far. That leaves him in limbo. Ie. Tradebait. Unless he improves in some regard. Quickly.

And Lappy is a 4th line talent. He cannot play top-9 minutes for long.

And what then? Burrows converted to center? (Might not be a bad idea, actually)

But then point is when this squad sung the praised of Manny Malhotra a couple seasons ago, they weren't kidding. He was VITAL for this teams' ability to win a draw and get it out of the zone easily.

Losing that ability means our defense will always be under a lot of pressure. Hence, they will be viewed as a 'problem' even though they're not the problem at all.

What adds even more pressure to our D is that they're required to pinch and score. This is due once again to our weak strength up the middle. If we had more centers who can create turnovers, then that takes a huge load off our defense.

We will need to trade for another two-way capable centerman. (Somebody who lasts longer than freakin' Pahlsson.). Or we will need to pray that Schroeder pans out better than i think, or that another guy steps up. Gaunce? Years away? Anyone else?

Oh, and we needed Manny to wear a freakin' visor. Thanks a lot, chump.

I believe it does

against la if you recall this year I saw La players just controlling the boards and the canucks D-men could do absolutely nothing

last years series against LA same old tale la just went into the boards cycled around and the d-men could not break it they got pushed around

and tonight you all saw what happen players just use there speed and size.........(hossa)

and look back to st lous game another team that was big and outplayed canucks

so i don't know if its the system or the defense....

thing is before playoffs they better fix or else we will see a similar tale that we are use too seeing in the playoffs

Archived