108 replies to this topic

#61 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Good thing they didn't show the console itself, not like anyone wanted to see it anyways :lol:

#62 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Guess they're saving the console itself for e3? Huge ass press conference though. Wonder if they'll just recap it for e3.

#63 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Underwhelming.

#64 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Curious to see what Xbox will bring to the table now.. I didn't really seems to care about half the stuff they showed. As for the whole social networking etc I do not care about at all, but Xbox 360 is already providing all of that.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#65 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think Nintendo is screwed.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#66 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

to be honest, i cant imagine the new xbox being much better either. probably the worst generation of consoles ever, at this pace. wiiu, ps4, and the inevitable disappointment from microsoft.

only steam box can save us now
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#67 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I think Nintendo is screwed.

avelanch is not amused.

#68 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

this is what happens when you don't have console exclusives anymore

jesus, who cares about killzone? as if every console doesn't have their version of the linear, non-challenging sci fi shooter
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#69 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

to be honest, i cant imagine the new xbox being much better either. probably the worst generation of consoles ever, at this pace. wiiu, ps4, and the inevitable disappointment from microsoft.

only steam box can save us now

Valve is bestest.

avelanch is not amused.

Too bad it's true tho. :3

#70 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I don't think anyone was expecting much of this generation. Sony is the only 'saving grace' along with Nintendo if they can get backwards compatibility going from their previous systems. Like a more full catalogue.

That being said though, I hope PS4 and the new xbox at least do better than the WII U is doing. Wii U like.. just died.

#71 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I really like the partnership with Blizzard and I especially like that diablo will now be coming to the ps4.

But!! It still isn't enough to get me to buy the new machine. The last console that came out was I think 8 years ago. They really couldn't have thought of anything better than this in that time span?

I'm looking forward to the Xbox one because its not going to take much to top what ps4 did today.

Sticking with my laptop/computer till ps4 is cheaper.
I'm a huge Xbox fanboy so ill be getting that no matter what unless they have a huge letdown at their conference.

#72 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,644 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Can't wait to play Killzone 4. I love that series!!

Posted Image

#73 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I really like the partnership with Blizzard and I especially like that diablo will now be coming to the ps4.

But!! It still isn't enough to get me to buy the new machine. The last console that came out was I think 8 years ago. They really couldn't have thought of anything better than this in that time span?

I'm looking forward to the Xbox one because its not going to take much to top what ps4 did today.

I'm a huge Xbox fanboy so ill be getting that no matter what unless they have a huge letdown at their conference.

Can't truly judge the PS4 out of this conference. Gotta wait till e3.

#74 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

what could be any different from xbox?

what do you honestly think has changed since the last few years? the visuals wont be THAT different (not like ps2 -> ps3 and xbox -> 360 jumps), and so all of the 'advances' will dumb garbage like social networking!!! and that sort of thing, or faster loading times and the like.

the consoles will more or less be the exact same, i think.
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#75 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Can't truly judge the PS4 out of this conference. Gotta wait till e3.

That's only somewhat true, they wouldn't have had this conference if you can't judge the system until e3.
I was really excited about today and it just didn't live up to it.
The blizzard announcement is huge, I doubt were going to get a bigger announcement then that at e3 besides the specs, and to be honest if the leaked information is true then we should all be disappointed.

Edited by Kent.S, 20 February 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#76 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

what could be any different from xbox?

what do you honestly think has changed since the last few years? the visuals wont be THAT different (not like ps2 -> ps3 and xbox -> 360 jumps), and so all of the 'advances' will dumb garbage like social networking!!! and that sort of thing, or faster loading times and the like.

the consoles will more or less be the exact same, i think.

Xbox has always wanted to be more then just a system to play games, they want to be the whole package of your entertainment in the living room.
Ie: t.v, sports, gaming, movies ect..

What I'm hoping for is they take it to the next level and stay true to their word. I don't expect the next generation of graphics "consoles < computers" we'll always have pc's for that.
Also hoping they bring in cable like shaw and be a competitor for them.
I'd much prefer to pay a flat fee on all my living room requirements.

#77 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

i like what i saw from the press conference was on the fence on whether to buy it or not probably won't be a first day buy for me but probably within the first year i will being buying a ps4

#78 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I'd much prefer to pay a flat fee on all my living room requirements.

ah, the dream
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#79 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

ah, the dream

One can hope!

#80 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

deep shadow and watch dogs stood out in my opinion.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#81 CanucksHD

CanucksHD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Cannot wait for inFamous.
Killzone, Deep shadow & Watch Dogs looked killer. :frantic:

#82 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I think this Generation will be the smallest leap, unless the exclusives get better, but PS3 already has great, unique exclusives, unlike another console ;)
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#83 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

The video streaming and sharing is cool. None of the other features they showed off do anything for me. I really could not care less about social media when it comes to my games.

inFamous Second Son, Watch Dogs, and news of a new FF at E3 are the only things I really cared about. I'll buy a PS4, but IDK about getting it at launch

Edited by CanuckianOne, 20 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

qpxLmDN.png

#84 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

wait, there's a final fantasy exclusive for PS4?

hopefully it's not some MMO garbage or FF 13 part 13, then I may be on the bandwagon again
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#85 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's not necessarily an exclusive. Square-Enix just said they would be showing off a new FF at E3. Kinda like how Ubisoft showed off Watch Dogs even though it's going to be on everything else as well.

qpxLmDN.png

#86 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

That "new" FF trailer was leaked during the last e3.

#87 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

Haha, yeah. No idea why they showed it here.

qpxLmDN.png

#88 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,687 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

oh, i just read some site that said it was an exclusive

nevermind then.
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#89 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

There won't be a big jump. Mostly because.. there can't be. You can't beat 1080p because.. well, that's the top right now. The only real thing you can improve is not so much the 'graphics' of the people, but the world around them. More like the physics in the engines, rather than the graphics. And to do that, you don't really need an improvement on graphical power. Right now in the TV world, they're messing with refresh rate more than anything. And.. well.. yeah. Consoles won't see the FPS neccessary to make that more worth it, because you'll need high end stuff, and that'll cost way too much.

I mean really, the only thing in TV they're toying with currently is 3D. Not graphical improvement. Any imprvoement you see will be more on game companies and their engines. I'm not sure when you can expect a jump from something like SD to HD. All you can do is try to get more crisp and clear. And frame rates and stuff just aren't going to happen on the console because it'd cost way too much for a system with current PC graphics. The nvidia 680 is second tier right now and is like 400-500 bucks alone. Coupled with the console, do you really want to pay like 1k+ for a bit of a smoothness upgrade? Probably not.

Sony went the right way with the streaming thing. The cloud thing could be amazing if they can get all their catalogue on the PS4 and Vita. It sucks that you might have to rebuy things but I don't see why it'd be an issue. PS2/PS1 games are cheap enough for me to not care, and let's be serious.. how many PS3 games are even 'classic' worthy of playing again in the future? Games have sucked in this current generation for the most part. So I could care less about having to rebuy PS3 games.

But not sure what you'd expect to be different. The new xbox will be in the same boat. Matter of preference because most companies are moving away from console exclusives. You can wait to see what console sells more and buy that one to have potentially more people to play with online in games, but seriously, there's not much of an issue these days. It's basically more what controller do you like more, to be honest. Everything else is fanboyism and knitpicking. I've played games on both and honestly don't 'lag' more playing on PS3 games or anything. The party and friend list thing on 360 is better but.. I didn't honestly really give a crap about it. It's easier and cheaper to just skype or something if you wanna talk on voice. Graphics aren't much difference, exclusives are less and less, there will be more than enough people for you to play games on both systems just fine.

Can you honestly say there's such a huge game breaker between the 360 and PS3? Free vs hardly anything for live is a wash. Game graphics are a wash unless you seriously want to knitpick on ports. Communities are a wash. The exclusive battles were weak as hell to be honest. If you just take the consoles for what they are, and what they provide, the only difference is the controller. That's seriously the biggest difference. Whatever system comes out first will probably do better between the two. Just get whatever your friends end up getting, and if none of them get it, just flip a coin unless you have a particular fanboy itch toward one of them. I'd be way more happy if 360 and PS3 merged or merged their online communities so you could play against people on whatever platform.

#90 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

There won't be a big jump. Mostly because.. there can't be. You can't beat 1080p because.. well, that's the top right now. The only real thing you can improve is not so much the 'graphics' of the people, but the world around them. More like the physics in the engines, rather than the graphics. And to do that, you don't really need an improvement on graphical power. Right now in the TV world, they're messing with refresh rate more than anything. And.. well.. yeah. Consoles won't see the FPS neccessary to make that more worth it, because you'll need high end stuff, and that'll cost way too much.

I mean really, the only thing in TV they're toying with currently is 3D. Not graphical improvement. Any imprvoement you see will be more on game companies and their engines. I'm not sure when you can expect a jump from something like SD to HD. All you can do is try to get more crisp and clear. And frame rates and stuff just aren't going to happen on the console because it'd cost way too much for a system with current PC graphics. The nvidia 680 is second tier right now and is like 400-500 bucks alone. Coupled with the console, do you really want to pay like 1k+ for a bit of a smoothness upgrade? Probably not.

Sony went the right way with the streaming thing. The cloud thing could be amazing if they can get all their catalogue on the PS4 and Vita. It sucks that you might have to rebuy things but I don't see why it'd be an issue. PS2/PS1 games are cheap enough for me to not care, and let's be serious.. how many PS3 games are even 'classic' worthy of playing again in the future? Games have sucked in this current generation for the most part. So I could care less about having to rebuy PS3 games.

But not sure what you'd expect to be different. The new xbox will be in the same boat. Matter of preference because most companies are moving away from console exclusives. You can wait to see what console sells more and buy that one to have potentially more people to play with online in games, but seriously, there's not much of an issue these days. It's basically more what controller do you like more, to be honest. Everything else is fanboyism and knitpicking. I've played games on both and honestly don't 'lag' more playing on PS3 games or anything. The party and friend list thing on 360 is better but.. I didn't honestly really give a crap about it. It's easier and cheaper to just skype or something if you wanna talk on voice. Graphics aren't much difference, exclusives are less and less, there will be more than enough people for you to play games on both systems just fine.

Can you honestly say there's such a huge game breaker between the 360 and PS3? Free vs hardly anything for live is a wash. Game graphics are a wash unless you seriously want to knitpick on ports. Communities are a wash. The exclusive battles were weak as hell to be honest. If you just take the consoles for what they are, and what they provide, the only difference is the controller. That's seriously the biggest difference. Whatever system comes out first will probably do better between the two. Just get whatever your friends end up getting, and if none of them get it, just flip a coin unless you have a particular fanboy itch toward one of them. I'd be way more happy if 360 and PS3 merged or merged their online communities so you could play against people on whatever platform.

Actually that's not true about the 1080p there's new technology called 5k and 10k. Both are fantastic t.v's that are absolutely mind blowing looking at them.
They could have easily partnered up with them or even made is comparable for sales.

But ya you're right. I would prefer to just have them merge but that will never happen.

Edited by Kent.S, 21 February 2013 - 03:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.