The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teacher Loses His Job After Saying "Speakee No English" To Student

allkill326

You make it seem like that is something to be proud of.

No excuse to not learn the language in that amount of time. You come to a country, learn the language. Plain and simple.

This is coming from someone with immigrant parents (I also wasn't born here, came at a very young age) who both worked very hard to become fluent in English.

Raising 13 children did not give her a lot time. And for much of that time my family lived on a farm in rural Alberta. When our family relocated to Red Deer despite her language barriers she pioneered one of the first facilities for mentally disabled children ( my eldest uncle was born mentally challenged). When she died her funeral was attended by massive numbers of mourners who lauded her contributions to the community despite her language barrier.

Perhaps you should grab a clue before making such comments.

Lol, you aren't helping yourself in this argument much.

If she was able to learn 3 other languages fluently, then English, a relatively simple language, should not have been a problem.

Anyone can make up excuses, my parent's came here with nothing and my dad had to support a family of 5 by himself while also learning English.

If she was able to learn 3 other languages fluently, then English, a relatively simple language, should not have been a problem.

Anyone can make up excuses. My parent's came here with nothing and my dad had to support a family of 5 by himself while also learning English.

Anyone can make up excuses. My parent's came here with nothing and my dad had to support a family of 5 by himself while also learning English.

“They range all over the place, from inappropriate physical contact with students, sometimes of a sexual nature, (or) sometimes of a disciplinary nature — pushing somebody up against a set of lockers,” he said of previous investigations."

I remember a teacher I had in Grade 6 @ Rosser Elementary in Burnaby.

She was really nice and nice looking as well.

One day she snapped - grabbed this student (male) and slammed him into the wall and screamed at him.

He was "taunting" her.

I don't remember her getting a suspension - she did go home for the rest of the day - and I do remember the rest of the students cheering - as that kid was a jerk and deserved it.

He never did that again (be disrespectful towards a teacher).

That's the problem with a lot of kids today - no respect.

Seems harsh. I wish we knew in what context he made his comment. If he was making a joke, one may say it's in bad taste, but it shouldn't have cost him is job. A stern warning would have been more appropriate, unless his poor behaviour (i.e. playing guitar and ignoring his class) had continued on for a long time.

Teachers are among the people I most admire in this world. With all the crap they have to put up with day in and day out from smart ass students and kids who just plain don't really want to learn...how any of them stay sane is mind-boggling to me, and I give them all the credit in the world..at least those of them that teach for decades on the same subject and strive to make the subject being taught as fun and as easy to learn as possible. I admire those with dedication. People who become substitute teachers however have, in most cases, not an inkling of a notion of what they are talking about or teaching about and a lot of them don't have the patience that a veteran teacher has. The sad reality is though, unless both the US and Canada start training competent younger teachers to fill the vacancies when the veteran teachers ultimately retire, you will have more incompetent ones than competent ones and the education systems will be swept under by a wave of irresponsibility and snarky, disrespectful kids whose parents could care less.

Archived