Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allkill326

Teacher Loses His Job After Saying "Speakee No English" To Student

56 posts in this topic

Why?

Was it a serious impediment to her raising her family? It doesn't sound like it from 'Coaster's explanation.

Have we become as intolerant as our southern neighbours, whom we love to call out for just the sort of attitude that you're displaying here?

That's the problem with a lot of kids today - no respect.

You can remove the `today` part. Its been that way forever.

My dad emigrated to Canada From England when he was 5. He had to learn to speak Canadian pretty fast. Not a problem.

He had no respect for the system so he entered it anyhow?

Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples who shouldn't be allowed to be near kids, let alone in a leadership role like teaching. Teachers should be setting an example and this type of behavior is inexcusable. To humiliate others in this way really speaks to the fact that he isn't likely firing on all cylinders.

During my kids' stints in school, I encountered one or two of these bad apples and the administration will sometimes make excuses for them (which was the case). That's the lazy approach...there should be a zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior by teachers with immediate evaluations conducted and subsequent action taken.

But c'mon, playing guitar is cool. School of rock.

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. When you say he emigrated TO Canada FROM England and had to learn to speak "Canadian"...this is where I am confused. People in England speak English...people in Canada speak English...besides a few idioms and colloquialisms...there is really no difference...Maybe you guys call "Canadian" a dialect of your own...like the Acadians and Creole...but otherwise this post made little sense to me. Canadians speak English just like the English do.

Oh Dear Lord... :picard:

:lol:

Thanks for giving me a laugh though. I needed it.

Those who can do , those who can't, teach :P

Hey how about ****ing explaining it to me then instead of just laughing at it? I'm genuinely curious as to the correlation. If you'd explain where I ****ed up instead of taking pleasure in the fact that I DID **** up maybe it'd help me better understand. Laughing at another's ignorance while failing to correct the mistake made is just as bad as the ignorance was to begin with. Be a part of the cure, not a part of the plague.

well deserved. Teachers should not be making fun of students. They should be doing the exact opposite.

This is America, speak American or GIT OUT

Scott Hartnell's Mane is on tilt

You make it seem like that is something to be proud of.

No excuse to not learn the language in that amount of time. You come to a country, learn the language. Plain and simple.

This is coming from someone with immigrant parents (I also wasn't born here, came at a very young age) who both worked very hard to become fluent in English.

Seriously though, where did that outburst come from? :lol:

I thought that it was pretty clear that he was making a joke, and just found it amusing that you didn't pick up on it. That's all. I didn't mean to cause offence.

It's called a hangover. Anyway...I likely didnt get the joke because I'm not Canadian. No big deal. I apologize for the overreaction.

I am a teacher. I wouldn't want to work with this guy, nor would I want my kids in any of his classes.

We just got a new ESL student, from the Philippines, in our program last Tuesday. On his first day of music, having never picked up a guitar, we worked together for 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, Clyde learned the names of the strings, how to tune a guitar with an electronic tuner, 3 chords (E/A/D in the open position) and a song, Amazing Grace, which is not in standard time. This 14 year old learned more in 20 minutes than 3 or 4 of our non-performers have learned in 5 1/2 months.

Teachers who ridicule students don't deserve the privilege of working with our youth... Especially ignorant, racist teachers who work in a Pacific Rim country.

I am a teacher. I wouldn't want to work with this guy, nor would I want my kids in any of his classes.

We just got a new ESL student, from the Philippines, in our program last Tuesday. On his first day of music, having never picked up a guitar, we worked together for 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, Clyde learned the names of the strings, how to tune a guitar with an electronic tuner, 3 chords (E/A/D in the open position) and a song, Amazing Grace, which is not in standard time. This 14 year old learned more in 20 minutes than 3 or 4 of our non-performers have learned in 5 1/2 months.

Teachers who ridicule students don't deserve the privilege of working with our youth... Especially ignorant, racist teachers who work in a Pacific Rim country.