55 replies to this topic

#31 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,588 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's not the end of the world for this guy....

...he can always go to Korea and teach ESL...

:lol:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#32 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

“They range all over the place, from inappropriate physical contact with students, sometimes of a sexual nature, (or) sometimes of a disciplinary nature — pushing somebody up against a set of lockers,” he said of previous investigations."

I remember a teacher I had in Grade 6 @ Rosser Elementary in Burnaby.
She was really nice and nice looking as well.
One day she snapped - grabbed this student (male) and slammed him into the wall and screamed at him.
He was "taunting" her.

I don't remember her getting a suspension - she did go home for the rest of the day - and I do remember the rest of the students cheering - as that kid was a jerk and deserved it.

He never did that again (be disrespectful towards a teacher).

That's the problem with a lot of kids today - no respect.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#33 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Seems harsh. I wish we knew in what context he made his comment. If he was making a joke, one may say it's in bad taste, but it shouldn't have cost him is job. A stern warning would have been more appropriate, unless his poor behaviour (i.e. playing guitar and ignoring his class) had continued on for a long time.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#34 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Some people decide to become a teacher because they enjoy teacher. Other people 'decide' to become teachers when they feel there are not other options.

Good salary plus great pension.

It's only hard work if you actually care about your students.

#35 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

God I hate humanity.

I don't understand how you don't unload on the tools in this thread, WetCoaster.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#36 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

God I hate humanity.

I don't understand how you don't unload on the tools in this thread, WetCoaster.

Yes. I am a tool for advocating that everyone should work hard to learn the language when they come to Canada.

:picard:
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#37 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Yes. I am a tool for advocating that everyone should work hard to learn the language when they come to Canada.

You're a tool for criticizing Coaster's grandmother for not knowing English, continuing to criticize her despite knowing her circumstances (living in a rural area with other immigrants that escaped from Russia), and thinking English is an easy language to learn.

I love it when senseless people facepalm.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#38 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Some people decide to become a teacher because they enjoy teacher. Other people 'decide' to become teachers when they feel there are not other options.

Those who can do , those who can't, teach :P

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 21 February 2013 - 06:06 AM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#39 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Teachers are among the people I most admire in this world. With all the crap they have to put up with day in and day out from smart ass students and kids who just plain don't really want to learn...how any of them stay sane is mind-boggling to me, and I give them all the credit in the world..at least those of them that teach for decades on the same subject and strive to make the subject being taught as fun and as easy to learn as possible. I admire those with dedication. People who become substitute teachers however have, in most cases, not an inkling of a notion of what they are talking about or teaching about and a lot of them don't have the patience that a veteran teacher has. The sad reality is though, unless both the US and Canada start training competent younger teachers to fill the vacancies when the veteran teachers ultimately retire, you will have more incompetent ones than competent ones and the education systems will be swept under by a wave of irresponsibility and snarky, disrespectful kids whose parents could care less.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#40 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Why?

Was it a serious impediment to her raising her family? It doesn't sound like it from 'Coaster's explanation.

Have we become as intolerant as our southern neighbours, whom we love to call out for just the sort of attitude that you're displaying here?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#41 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Why?

Was it a serious impediment to her raising her family? It doesn't sound like it from 'Coaster's explanation.

Have we become as intolerant as our southern neighbours, whom we love to call out for just the sort of attitude that you're displaying here?

By "we" do you mean the other people who have their own imaginary version of this country?

#42 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

That's the problem with a lot of kids today - no respect.

You can remove the `today` part. Its been that way forever.

My dad emigrated to Canada From England when he was 5. He had to learn to speak Canadian pretty fast. Not a problem.

Posted Image

#43 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

You can remove the `today` part. Its been that way forever.

My dad emigrated to Canada From England when he was 5. He had to learn to speak Canadian pretty fast. Not a problem.

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. When you say he emigrated TO Canada FROM England and had to learn to speak "Canadian"...this is where I am confused. People in England speak English...people in Canada speak English...besides a few idioms and colloquialisms...there is really no difference...Maybe you guys call "Canadian" a dialect of your own...like the Acadians and Creole...but otherwise this post made little sense to me. Canadians speak English just like the English do.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#44 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,656 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

He had no respect for the system so he entered it anyhow?

Unfortunately, there are a few bad apples who shouldn't be allowed to be near kids, let alone in a leadership role like teaching. Teachers should be setting an example and this type of behavior is inexcusable. To humiliate others in this way really speaks to the fact that he isn't likely firing on all cylinders.

During my kids' stints in school, I encountered one or two of these bad apples and the administration will sometimes make excuses for them (which was the case). That's the lazy approach...there should be a zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior by teachers with immediate evaluations conducted and subsequent action taken.

But c'mon, playing guitar is cool. School of rock.

Posted Image

#45 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. When you say he emigrated TO Canada FROM England and had to learn to speak "Canadian"...this is where I am confused. People in England speak English...people in Canada speak English...besides a few idioms and colloquialisms...there is really no difference...Maybe you guys call "Canadian" a dialect of your own...like the Acadians and Creole...but otherwise this post made little sense to me. Canadians speak English just like the English do.

Oh Dear Lord... :picard:

Thanks for giving me a laugh though. I needed it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#46 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Oh Dear Lord... :picard:

Thanks for giving me a laugh though. I needed it.

Hey how about ****ing explaining it to me then instead of just laughing at it? I'm genuinely curious as to the correlation. If you'd explain where I ****ed up instead of taking pleasure in the fact that I DID **** up maybe it'd help me better understand. Laughing at another's ignorance while failing to correct the mistake made is just as bad as the ignorance was to begin with. Be a part of the cure, not a part of the plague.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 21 February 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Posted Image

#47 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Those who can do , those who can't, teach :P

And those who can't teach, teach gym.

#48 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hey how about ****ing explaining it to me then instead of just laughing at it? I'm genuinely curious as to the correlation. If you'd explain where I ****ed up instead of taking pleasure in the fact that I DID **** up maybe it'd help me better understand. Laughing at another's ignorance while failing to correct the mistake made is just as bad as the ignorance was to begin with. Be a part of the cure, not a part of the plague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQ53jxl3x8

Seriously though, where did that outburst come from? :lol:

I thought that it was pretty clear that he was making a joke, and just found it amusing that you didn't pick up on it. That's all. I didn't mean to cause offence.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

well deserved. Teachers should not be making fun of students. They should be doing the exact opposite.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#50 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

This is America, speak American or GIT OUT

#51 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Scott Hartnell's Mane is on tilt

#52 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

You make it seem like that is something to be proud of.

No excuse to not learn the language in that amount of time. You come to a country, learn the language. Plain and simple.

This is coming from someone with immigrant parents (I also wasn't born here, came at a very young age) who both worked very hard to become fluent in English.

It sounds so easy, when you're so very naive.

What if the person in question was sold into slavery as a young child, and never spent a day in school their entire life? And then upon arriving in Canada, worked their freakin a**es off for decades to raise their children and support foreign relatives?

That pretty much sums up my father-in-law. Very poor English, and completely illiterate in any language. And yet, he's the most honest, kind man I've ever met. Our country is lucky to have him.

...Blanket statements are only good for smothering.
Posted Image

#53 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQ53jxl3x8

Seriously though, where did that outburst come from? :lol:

I thought that it was pretty clear that he was making a joke, and just found it amusing that you didn't pick up on it. That's all. I didn't mean to cause offence.

It's called a hangover. Anyway...I likely didnt get the joke because I'm not Canadian. No big deal. I apologize for the overreaction.
Posted Image

#54 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

It's called a hangover. Anyway...I likely didnt get the joke because I'm not Canadian. No big deal. I apologize for the overreaction.

No problemo. I was probably asking for it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

I am a teacher. I wouldn't want to work with this guy, nor would I want my kids in any of his classes.

We just got a new ESL student, from the Philippines, in our program last Tuesday. On his first day of music, having never picked up a guitar, we worked together for 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, Clyde learned the names of the strings, how to tune a guitar with an electronic tuner, 3 chords (E/A/D in the open position) and a song, Amazing Grace, which is not in standard time. This 14 year old learned more in 20 minutes than 3 or 4 of our non-performers have learned in 5 1/2 months.

Teachers who ridicule students don't deserve the privilege of working with our youth... Especially ignorant, racist teachers who work in a Pacific Rim country.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#56 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

I am a teacher. I wouldn't want to work with this guy, nor would I want my kids in any of his classes.

We just got a new ESL student, from the Philippines, in our program last Tuesday. On his first day of music, having never picked up a guitar, we worked together for 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, Clyde learned the names of the strings, how to tune a guitar with an electronic tuner, 3 chords (E/A/D in the open position) and a song, Amazing Grace, which is not in standard time. This 14 year old learned more in 20 minutes than 3 or 4 of our non-performers have learned in 5 1/2 months.

Teachers who ridicule students don't deserve the privilege of working with our youth... Especially ignorant, racist teachers who work in a Pacific Rim country.

My favourites are the bozos that consider people illiterate because they do not happen to speak English. And invariably these are the same people who can barely string a coherent English sentence together containing polysyllables.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.