The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is our Transition Game?

Bananas

I seem to remember the Canucks being a very strong team off the rush. Even the not-so-speedy Sedins have produced many a point off the rush. This team his supposed to be one of the faster teams out there, with guys like Booth, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Hanson, Schroeder, Wiese, etc... yet this system we employ does nothing to utilize our resources to their maximum potential -- or even anywhere close at all.

I see it time and time again. We get the puck, there's open forwards in the neutral zone, but where does the puck go? Back to the defence. Every time; and because it is every time, we all know this is the system -- and it doesn't work!

This game against the Hawks isn't the reason I post this, because it's been bothering me all season long, but it's a real eye opener perhaps to those who may otherwise have missed my point. Did you see the odd man rushes the Hawks got? Every one of them dangerous. We're lucky Schneider put up some good saves in these situations... anywho, my point is: why aren't the Canucks doing any of this? At all!

The Canucks are so fast, and we have plenty of skill. However, our system is holding back our players. The personnel we have available should be using their skills instead of ignoring them to play a system that not only is vanilla, and basic (and our only one), but plain not good in the first place.

The coach really needs to get off his arse and start thinking for once in his career. His coin-flip goalie "controversy" and pulling names out of a hat for line choices (not SO bad this year) are not thinking, despite what he may believe. These players are not being used properly because of the system.

Am I missing something, or has our system completely fallen apart under our noses? This can't be a failure of execution, because the Canucks don't even try.

This isn't limited to 5-on-5, either. The dump-and-change mentality makes what used to be a frightening penalty kill into a matter of patience. With our speed, our penalty killers should be able to break out shorthanded like we see so often against ourselves. But instead, AV hoots like an owl from the bench and the players skate off the ice.

Thanks for reading. Discuss.

You answered your own question.

AV's system is like you stated. It does not utilize players properly in positions to succeed. Now it's effecting all aspects including the defensemen as well with his questionable line combos.

It's why the player seem emotionless. Their tired of it and need a change.

Or it could be we've finally gotten two top 6 forwards back from injury and we're going to work them into the lineup and open up play a little. The Sedins aren't going to lead a transition like that with speed, and we would have been relying on Schroeder or Lapierre's lines to do so and they're hardly Kane, Hossa, Sharp, etc. We've been playing a little safer game as a result.

I don't think the transition game left completely with Ehrhoff, but maybe the mentality did as a result. If it were all on him, he'd have had a lot more assists.

I really think that our team has enough depth to carry on doing what our team is capable of. With Booth and Kes out, we were stuck putting together one patchwork checking line. That's fine, let them check. But why, when the Sedins or the speed line are on, are we passing back to the D and letting the opposition regroup?

If it's because we're trying the whole "puck possession" scheme, then why are we constantly chipping the puck out to center, or dumping and changing? This team consists of players who can skate fast, and players who can pass very well. I don't understand why we don't either possess the puck, or run and gun. Instead, we flip the puck around without cause and hope that maybe when we set up shop in the offensive zone -- with all five players committed to offense -- we will score a goal or two in a game.

Then, with all our players committed, and our D making stupid pinches at bad times, we get bitten for it by a team with a system that actually works because they don't pass the puck back to their D and "get organized". Rather, they carry the puck up the ice and generate some offence.

Yes thats why they are third in the conference and top 5 in the league and have only lost 3 games in regulation/clean..2 back to back presidents trophy's and a SCF visit in last 2 years

But yes our coaching sucks

YOU SIR ARE THE REASON PEOPLE THINK VANCOUVER FANS ARE IDIOTS

Transition game is there. It's just that Chicago is a very good defensive team also, were the system forces the player not to go up the middle but the side, because if the player goes up the side, its easier to shut it down, usually done with 2 players. and when that happens, its easier for Chicago players to slow it down. It's strategy. Phoenix is really good and stopping the transition game too. We have it. Nothing to worry about. Last night was just a very hard game to win. We should happy we came up with a point with that effort.

To be completely honest, I haven't really paid attention to Ehrhoff's absence...however, the more I think about it, the more I realise how much we are indeed mission him. If we could land a right-handed player who plays similarly to him, I think it might solve a few of our issues.

Actually, I wonder...how much is Washington valuing Mike Green right now? Who knows, maybe with the Canucks' vast resources, we can find that stick he liked so much and rejuvenate his career if we trade for him.

What does any of that have to do with this season?

It's quite clear our system gets exploited by top teams and coaches who actually know how to adjust and change their gameplan.

Our players rarely play with any drive or emotion.

The same strategy isn't going to work every year............... if we had average goal tending we would probably be near the bottom of the league....

I think you're the idiot.

AV insists there is "...only one way to play...", that he taught the Pittsburgh coach his method, "... and they use that same system..."

AV has taken some of the best talent in the league and made them oprdinary. For strategy and tactics he seems to rely on his assistant coaches rather than do any thinking of his own - of course, when the PP or the PK sucks, that gives him someone else to blame. Right now our D is struggling with converage, our breakout often sucks, our transition game is non-existent and our point men on the PP are clueless and allow players in behind them all the time. On the PP no-one goes to the deep slot to pull the opposition forwards back toward their own goal to make better lanes for the shots, and our D rarely move laterally with the puck to open shooting lanes. But we are great at staying on the periphery and never getting a legitimate chance on goal. There are reasons why our PP and PK suck, and the reason is not in the net, and none of Ballard, Tanev, Garrison, Bieksa, and Hamhuis are responsible. You can't blame Garrison for not scoring on the PP when he either is not on it or he if he is out with Edler, is still waiting for his first decent pass from Edler. This crap with Daniel on the point is surely seen now as a completely failed experiment after all those breakaways - and Chicago, by the way, wasn't the only team to have them - they had obviously scouted the Canucks previous games. Thank God for Cory - this team owes him for that single point..

I just don't get how these problems aren't being fixed when it's been obvious for so long..... I think AV and co have run out of ideas and have no idea what to do besides mix up the lines and rely on AV's special coin to win them games.

I noticed last night how creative Chicago's team was offensively.

Our team does the same crap every game and look like a bunch of grinders, it doesn't make sense with the level of skill we have.

Archived