159 replies to this topic

#1 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

After watching last nights game, and the last few, I am starting to wonder if AV is the problem. I think over the years that he is a fine coach, however I'm not convinced that he's the one to help bring the cup to Vancouver, more of a second line coach if you will.

Different decisions that baffle me.

The team, and fans, recognize the need for toughness in the top 6. GMMG gets some (Kassian). He is tied for the team lead in goals, is a willing combatant, however is demoted to the bottom six and had only 10 minutes last night. Bolland is in Chicago's top 6 and by comparison is afforded the ability to scrap when the team needs it.

Keeping Tanev in the lineup. While i think he is a deceent 3rd pair dman, he is lucky to have a partner like Ballard. Not only last night, but in many games this season I have seen him make questionable passes to his partner, forcing Ballard to eitherforce a play to taking a hard hit, rather than chiping it out of the zone. I'd like to see Barker inserted into the lineup to at least see what he can offer. He isn't doing any good in the press box.

If Kesler is supposed to be "eased"into the line up how come after 3 games he averages the most ice time among forwards? If AV expects to keep him fresh for the playoffs then he needs to trust others to be on the ice, whether it's the PK, PP ot 5v5. At 21 minutes per gamehe will be fatigued, injured and battered and bruised come the playoffs.

Overall he needs to have more balanced ice time.

My rant for the morning.

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

POPULAR

Bolland is in Chicago's top 6 and by comparison is afforded the ability to scrap when the team needs it.

I think I remember others saying that Bolland has had one career fight. He is not a fighter. He is a troublemaker.

Anyways, I do agree that it is time to get rid of AV. This team has played like garbage since winning the Boston game last january. They played like garbage in the playoffs as well. We may have won the president's trophy last season, but it was because of outstanding goaltending and a highly skilled team that did just enough to win games with the least amount of effort. The thing is that as soon as the playoffs came when the intensity picked up, their play did not. The team neeeds a shake up and I think it is on AV and his coaching staff.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 February 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#3 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

LOL!!

Really top three in the conference and we have a coaching problem?

Go put on your helmet before you leave the house

#4 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think this team has it in them. Just a matter of execution.

Posted Image

#5 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Bolland, Sharp > Raymond, Schroeder

No wait it's the coach.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#6 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,498 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

POPULAR

6 wins in a row then they go 0-1-2 everyone decides its time to panic and say we need to make a trade or fire the coach typical cdc

#7 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

POPULAR

LOL!!

Really top three in the conference and we have a coaching problem?

Go put on your helmet before you leave the house

Pretty sure that has to do with us beating up our own division this season and outstanding goaltending. This season we are terrible against out of division opponents.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 February 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#8 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Did you guys not read the original post? He's talking not about the last few games but about how the team has played since January 2012. I agree that a shakeup in the coaching staff could be useful.

Last night, after the 3rd goal, when we were playing like garbage, they showed a clip of AV just chewing his gum staring at the jumbotron. I thought it represented this past year so well. Here is a team that can and should be playing defensively sound, physical, high scoring hockey. When they are playing great, no need to change your coaching style. When they start to falter, and your coaching style isn't working so great, what is the harm of changing a bit and actually berating your players on the bench?

I understand that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but it doesn't matter. We see the end result.

#9 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Im not saying AV is bad, he's fine. I think after the years he's been here themessage may need to change.

Also, it's never been a secret that he has had issues with younger players developing.

I think he can get more out of what he has. And as far as being the number 3 seed, not to bash the team, but it's not that hard when the rest of your dividion isn't doing well. you only need to be better than the other 4.

We won't fail with AV, we just may not reach our potential.

#10 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

POPULAR

Canucks have played horrible since January. The fact that we scraped out wins against our horrible division as a result almost entirely of good goaltending from a Luongo hot streak is saving AV a lot of face right now. But then, it's not the first time Luongo made AV look better than he is.

There's nothing wrong with our line-up. That "Bolland Sharp > Raymond Schroeder" comparison is stupid. The fact that anyone is comparing our 3rd line to Chicago's 2nd is a testament to our depth.

Kassian is hitting a low in his lack of consistency. Unfortunately, AV has no patience with people who aren't in the "secret circle".

Garrison and Edler have played downright awful. At least Edler has been putting up points. If AV is going to reward hard work, then why haven't any of our depth D seen any ice time? Are they going to be completely cold when our D goes down in the play-offs this year? No games whatsoever? The D as a whole need a shake-up anyways. Give Garrison the night off, and give "project" Barker a shot.

Although, I disagree with your Tanev assessment. For a sophomore, he is doing exceptionally well..

Hamhuis on the other hand needs to get a little more physical. Then again, all of our D need to do that... and AV should be encouraging it, rather than sweeping the issue under the rug and ignoring it.

I fully agree with Kesler's ice time. The Booth - Kesler - Higgins line should be the 3rd line for now, since Schroeder's line was doing great before this mini-slump. I honestly think Kesler doesn't like AV, and AV sucks up to him by giving him ice time and no leash, which Kesler abuses.

To the posters who are blind and tout our record and past successes: wake up and watch the games, and you will see how broken our system is. We need a new coach. AV's system has been taught. It needs adjustment, and he can't do that. Time for a new coach.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#11 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Canucks have played horrible since January. The fact that we scraped out wins against our horrible division as a result almost entirely of good goaltending from a Luongo hot streak is saving AV a lot of face right now. But then, it's not the first time Luongo made AV look better than he is.

There's nothing wrong with our line-up. That "Bolland Sharp > Raymond Schroeder" comparison is stupid. The fact that anyone is comparing our 3rd line to Chicago's 2nd is a testament to our depth.

Kassian is hitting a low in his lack of consistency. Unfortunately, AV has no patience with people who aren't in the "secret circle".

Garrison and Edler have played downright awful. At least Edler has been putting up points. If AV is going to reward hard work, then why haven't any of our depth D seen any ice time? Are they going to be completely cold when our D goes down in the play-offs this year? No games whatsoever? The D as a whole need a shake-up anyways. Give Garrison the night off, and give "project" Barker a shot.

Although, I disagree with your Tanev assessment. For a sophomore, he is doing exceptionally well..

Hamhuis on the other hand needs to get a little more physical. Then again, all of our D need to do that... and AV should be encouraging it, rather than sweeping the issue under the rug and ignoring it.

I fully agree with Kesler's ice time. The Booth - Kesler - Higgins line should be the 3rd line for now, since Schroeder's line was doing great before this mini-slump. I honestly think Kesler doesn't like AV, and AV sucks up to him by giving him ice time and no leash, which Kesler abuses.

To the posters who are blind and tout our record and past successes: wake up and watch the games, and you will see how broken our system is. We need a new coach. AV's system has been taught. It needs adjustment, and he can't do that. Time for a new coach.

I wonder what the players think about AV for realz. IMO what's really wrong with our coaches is our defensive strategy, or lack thereof. I think AV is too concerned with popping goals in the net b/c he thinks our goaltenders are the cream of the crop, but that is just idiotic to rely that much on our goalies. Our defensive system of pinching ALL THE TIME is frustrating to watch. I wish we could play a New Jersey style kind of game and let the goals happen when they happen. Defence wins games and our defensive system is brutal!

Just my two cents.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#12 RDA96

RDA96

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

AV is not a bad coach he is decent. I don't think he is the type of coach that can win us a cup when you watch coaches like quenville sutter torterella there's more intensity on the bench and it translates to agressive tougher play AV has a laid back calm approach and it shows in the way they play.

#13 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Have some real concerns about AV's lack of patience to address the short-falls of this team.

Kassian was brought in to be the guy to prevent teh Sedins getting pushed around and shut down like has happened in the playoffs every year. HE was dong his job well and leading the team in scoring but the Sedins couldn't adjust their game (Which is another issue) so Burrows goes back up . Yes, the Sedins are producing, but teams are also taking liberties again.

Now is the time for the twins to be learning to adjust or teaching Kass to play with them consistently. Throwing him up there for a shift or two now and then expecting him to play well with them in the playoffs is a joke.

As for his already over-using of Kesler...one wonders if he isn't hoping he'll be re-injured.

Then there's the D pairings and D zone strategy....

AV has shot his load with this group and has no tricks in the bag. The rest of the league (at least those teams with any talent) know the book on the Nucks and as Toews says, "know how to expose them".

Last night's game was close because of one player on the Nucks and that was Cory. The rest of the play was so unbalanced, it was an embarrassment.

AV will go to his comfort zone every time things get tight and it doesn't work.

#14 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

I wonder what the players think about AV for realz. IMO what's really wrong with our coaches is our defensive strategy, or lack thereof. I think AV is too concerned with popping goals in the net b/c he thinks our goaltenders are the cream of the crop, but that is just idiotic to rely that much on our goalies. Our defensive system of pinching ALL THE TIME is frustrating to watch. I wish we could play a New Jersey style kind of game and let the goals happen when they happen. Defence wins games and our defensive system is brutal!

Just my two cents.

The truth is, this team is capable of playing any of 1) The Trap (like New Jersey); 2) Puck Possession (Detroit); and 3) Run and Gun (Chicago).

The ugly part of this truth is AV, because he thinks he's a genius and attempts to hybridize these systems. Nope. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Players are not robots (except the Sedins.) They need to be on the same page. As it stands, the players all know these systems. They are told by AV to go out and play. When do we ever see the Canucks on the same page? After a timeout where out ASSISTANT coach talks to the team; or when the Sedins huddle before a face-off.

AV needs to grab the bull by the horns and get his players on the same page. Identify what the opposing team his doing, and defeat it. It's like rock paper scissors. What's AV's choice?

"Good ol' Rock... nothing beats rock" "Poor predictable Bart Alain... always picks rock..."

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 20 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#15 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

I think I remember others saying that Bolland has had one career fight. He is not a fighter. He is a troublemaker.

Anyways, I do agree that it is time to get rid of AV. This team has played like garbage since winning the Boston game last january. They played like garbage in the playoffs as well. We may have won the president's trophy last season, but it was because of outstanding goaltending and a highly skilled team that did just enough to win games with the least amount of effort. The thing is that as soon as the playoffs came when the intensity picked up, their play did not. The team neeeds a shake up and I think it is on AV and his coaching staff.

Last night was Bollands 3rd fight EVER including OHL hockey.

http://www.hockeyfig...om/players/2346

Because he is a troublemaker, we attribute fighting to him, he is just one of the best pests in the game.
Sig too big.

#16 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Every time the Canucks lose a few games these threads pop up. Teams go on streaks sometimes. If you remember, they were on a six game winning streak recently.

Was coach Q the "problem" in Chi-Town last season, or was his team just not playing up to their potential?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#17 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Every time we lose, we get another douche making a douche thread. :picard:
Posted Image

#18 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Have some real concerns about AV's lack of patience to address the short-falls of this team.

Kassian was brought in to be the guy to prevent teh Sedins getting pushed around and shut down like has happened in the playoffs every year.   HE was dong his job well and leading the team in scoring but the Sedins couldn't adjust their game (Which is another issue) so Burrows goes back up .  Yes, the Sedins are producing, but teams are also taking liberties again.

Now is the time for the twins to be learning to adjust or teaching Kass to play with them consistently.  Throwing him up there for a shift or two now and then expecting him to play well with them in the playoffs is a joke.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If AV had stuck with Kassian on the top line and the twins were still struggling, this thread would be flooded with "AV refuses to make adjustments". The fact is, the team has been scoring more since the switch, they're just not as good in goal (last night notwithstanding) or on defense, which is Rick Bowness' responsibility.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#19 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

POPULAR

Every time we lose, we get another douche making a douche thread. :picard:

talk about a douche...

You are more than welcome debate the topic, but if you don't like it you don't have to comment.

How about keeping the posts on point?

#20 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,508 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If AV had stuck with Kassian on the top line and the twins were still struggling, this thread would be flooded with "AV refuses to make adjustments". The fact is, the team has been scoring more since the switch, they're just not as good in goal (last night notwithstanding) or on defense, which is Rick Bowness' responsibility.

But the whole point og giving away CoHo and going for a power forward type player was to address defficiencies in how the Sedins are shut down and abused. Going back to the old tried and true, is asking for the same thing to happen again.

RIck Bowness is AV's responsibility as is NB. IF their system doesn't work (and it doesn't) it's up to AV to deal with it...he is the head coach, right?

The constant line juggling is also a factor in their mistake-ridden play. Chemistry isn't some kind of magic that 2 or 3 guys develop instantaneously. It takes time together and practise. AV starts moving players up and down and side to side every time someone has a bad shift. It's ridiculous!!

All that aside, there is the motivation and prepared issue. How many times do these guys not show up early in a game and how many times do they take 20 minutes off and cough up a lead?

Even if AV isn't the problem, a new voice with a different message may be the solution. Bruce Boudreau is sure doing wonders for Anaheim!!

#21 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

What problem, Vancouver is 1st in the NW and 3rd in the West is there really a problem?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#22 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

blame who you want but the truth is that the players aren't playing up to their potential, especially when their opponents forecheck them into the ice...there always has to be a scape goat eh?...vigneault, luongo, gillis, bieksa, raymond, the sedins, weise, volpatti, the stick boy and the player's moms....someone is to blame right?

#23 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

blame who you want but the truth is that the players aren't playing up to their potential, especially when their opponents forecheck them into the ice...there always has to be a scape goat eh?...vigneault, luongo, gillis, bieksa, raymond, the sedins, weise, volpatti, the stick boy and the player's moms....someone is to blame right?

Close
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#24 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

Because he is a troublemaker, we attribute fighting to him, he is just one of the best pests in the game.

Bolland didn't fight yesterday, unless I missed it when I was getting food. (it doesn't show up on the score sheet as an actual 5 minute major if he was involved in a fight). Are you getting him mixed up with Bollig? When I called bolland a troublemaker, I was totally getting at pest. I sure as hell don't attribute fighting to him though, but it does start scrums at times.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#25 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Bolland didn't fight yesterday. Are you getting him mixed up with Bollig? When I called bolland a troublemaker, i totally meant pest. I sure as hell don't attribute fighting to him though.

BOLLIG IS A SPY
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#26 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

But the whole point og giving away CoHo and going for a power forward type player was to address defficiencies in how the Sedins are shut down and abused. Going back to the old tried and true, is asking for the same thing to happen again.

RIck Bowness is AV's responsibility as is NB. IF their system doesn't work (and it doesn't) it's up to AV to deal with it...he is the head coach, right?

The constant line juggling is also a factor in their mistake-ridden play. Chemistry isn't some kind of magic that 2 or 3 guys develop instantaneously. It takes time together and practise. AV starts moving players up and down and side to side every time someone has a bad shift. It's ridiculous!!

All that aside, there is the motivation and prepared issue. How many times do these guys not show up early in a game and how many times do they take 20 minutes off and cough up a lead?

Even if AV isn't the problem, a new voice with a different message may be the solution. Bruce Boudreau is sure doing wonders for Anaheim!!

It was, and still is. What needs to be taken into account is Kassian needs time to mature. Have a look at Buffalo, while Hodgson has a few more points playing (what I assume without watching) is nearly full time on the first line, he is near the bottom of the forwards in +/-. In other words, he needs time to mature as well. This wasnt a one way trade, we just aren't forced to play Kass on the first line while he learns to be consistent.
Sig too big.

#27 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Bolland is one of those rats that Burkie was referring to...the game has swung so far to the left that such rats like Bolland, Marchand, Cooke, are able to run around without consequence.

Back to AV...

AV seems to have let the lunatics run the asylum, but in our case, the lunatics are named Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows and to a lesser degree now, Luongo. So, from running the team from an inner sanctum perspective, we have a good leadership core in place. Now, when it comes to systems and in-game coaching situations, I am of the opinion that something needs to give. My belief is that AV is trying to change the system on the fly based on the roster he fields on a night to night basis, and that has resulted in less than desired outcomes (i.e., 3 game winless streak).

Case in point...

Games 1-12: In absence of Kesler and Booth, I thought the team was actually playing a very good defensive, five man unit game. We had a number of defensive breakdowns in the form of brain farts from Edler (too many to count), Bieksa (lots as he was getting back into game shape), Garrison (as he learns a new system), Hamhuis (for having to cover up for all the miscues of his partners). The breakdowns were covered up by better than expected goaltending from Luongo and to some degree Schneider, and having the luxury of playing against NW divisional rivals.

Games 13-15: With Kes back in the lineup, the team collectively seems to have loosened up, and their commitment to a defence-first system seems to have become a thing of the past. Now with Booth in the lineup, it appears that the mindset of the team is that they are better offensively than they may be (granted, the Sedins have found their game legs and their production reflects that).

So, we need to get back to the commitment to defence that the team displayed in games 1-12, and be patient and capitalize on our offensive opportunities. I think this gives the team the best chance to win and allows the team to become play-off ready.

Having said all this, I would still love to see our forwards go hard to the net, instead of playing on the perimeter in the offensive zone. Hopefully, with Kes and Booth in the lineup now, along with continued development of Kass, we'll see this happen soon.

#28 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Bolland didn't fight yesterday, unless I missed it when I was getting food. (it doesn't show up on the score sheet as an actual 5 minute major if he was involved in a fight). Are you getting him mixed up with Bollig? When I called bolland a troublemaker, I was totally getting at pest. I sure as hell don't attribute fighting to him though, but it does start scrums at times.

My response to yours was actually in agreement, you replied to someone who said "Bolland had the ok to scrap", I posted in support of what you said.

I am however now confused about Bollig/Bolland. I watched the game last night, and could have swore it was Bolland fighting Weise, but now see it must have been Bollig.
Sig too big.

#29 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

My response to yours was actually in agreement, you replied to someone who said "Bolland had the ok to scrap", I posted in support of what you said.

I am however now confused about Bollig/Bolland. I watched the game last night, and could have swore it was Bolland fighting Weise, but now see it must have been Bollig.

Yeah, i thought it was in agreement as well. Just threw me off a bit with the bollig/bolland mixup.

#30 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

So....he needs to be more patient with the players, but more impatient with his assistants, is that about right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.