The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is AV the problem?

clynch

Before the massive pileup on the Ruff bandwagon begins, I suggest you guys go over to the Buffalo HFBoards and read the 13+ "Fire Ruff" pages. Per capita, I'd say a large margin of Buffalo fans wanted Ruff gone. Way more than Van fans wanting AV gone. Of course, now that he's gone, the messages are much prettier.

Ruffs' coaching record is earily similar to AV's. Maybe an extra conferance title or something. Still no cups for either of them.

I don't agree with your "crapping the bed" assessment.

I think a lot of the CDC complainers are too close to the problem. No-one seems to realize that the ebbs and flows of an NHL season are common to all teams. The Canucks are 6-1-3 in their last 10. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. The one outright loss in those 10 was a game that Schneider played very poorly in.

Hunter cut back Ovie's ice time, (I think that's what you're referring to) but it was because of his tendency to try to do everything on his own and a perceived lack of attention to defense. I don't see this as a problem with either Hank or Dan, so I'm not convinced it's germane.

San Jose tried to "improve" on a good thing, now they're barely a playoff team.

Washington tried to "improve" on a good thing, now they're not even a playoff team.

When your team is SOOOO bad that you're going to miss the playoffs, THAT'S when you make the change (i.e. LAK, STL, PIT, PHI, etc.)

We're nowhere close to that point.

San Jose tried to "improve" on a good thing, now they're barely a playoff team.

Washington tried to "improve" on a good thing, now they're not even a playoff team.

When your team is SOOOO bad that you're going to miss the playoffs, THAT'S when you make the change (i.e. LAK, STL, PIT, PHI, etc.)

We're nowhere close to that point.

our record doesnt show how our team has actually played. We have lost more leads in the last year than in previous years combined. I think the players have tuned out his coaching strategies and we could benefit from a change, regardless of your overall record, if the teams doesnt play well for 60 minutes in front of the coach then something needs to cahnge.

He has proven to be out coached in the playoffs quite badly, and if it wasnt for goaltending last night, it could have been a blow out

Im not saying AV is bad, he's fine. I think after the years he's been here themessage may need to change.

Also, it's never been a secret that he has had issues with younger players developing.

I think he can get more out of what he has. And as far as being the number 3 seed, not to bash the team, but it's not that hard when the rest of your dividion isn't doing well. you only need to be better than the other 4.

We won't fail with AV, we just may not reach our potential.

The Canucks obviously need a big tune up, they are a V8 team that's been running on 5 or 6 cylinders since the Boston game last year. The engine is broken and AV doesn't have the tools to fix it.

AV has always been a lousy playoff coach and that has now creeped it's way into the teams regular season performances. This team could make the playoffs with a chimpanzee behind the bench due to the talent they have and the creampuff division they play in, they do not need AV.

Gillis cant get rid of the whole team so that only leaves one other option. If he doesn't drop the hammer on the coach the end result will most likely be the same as it always is, nice regular season, early playoff exit. Lindy Ruff or just about anybody could probably squeeze more out of this team than AV's been able to.

Not to mention he likes his team toughness, He has always had a tough guy(s) in his lineup no matter who they played.

When Lucic ran Miller, he had to answer for it (although he beat the crap our of Gaustad lol)

When Neil went after Drury, he immediately sends out Kaleta, Peters and Mayer to answer for the hit. THAT IS TEAM TOUGHNESS.

This team has been transformed into a bunch of pansies under AV. his refusal to dress a tough lineup against tough teams. And the response to Keith in his first game since the incident on HOME ICE was pathetic. Not one even skated up to him to talk to Keith or remind him that they didnt forget.. there was more emotions on a nothing game with Dallas than that night.

AV is too 'classy' for tough hockey, still following the Detroit model.. thats fine and all if were respected like the Wings are, but we are the frigging Vancouver Canucks, the 'most hated team in hockey'.

I believe the Sabres and Ruff were fined in this melee, but im sure the the owners have no problem paying seeing that their team responded like a true team.

6 wins without our second line against nhl teams is an amazing record.

You are talking like the team we faced were ahl teams.

We literally lost our whole second line wih Kesler and booth out. Any other teams with that many second line players down would be fighting for a playoff spot now.

Archived