The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is AV the problem?

clynch

After watching last nights game, and the last few, I am starting to wonder if AV is the problem. I think over the years that he is a fine coach, however I'm not convinced that he's the one to help bring the cup to Vancouver, more of a second line coach if you will.

Different decisions that baffle me.

The team, and fans, recognize the need for toughness in the top 6. GMMG gets some (Kassian). He is tied for the team lead in goals, is a willing combatant, however is demoted to the bottom six and had only 10 minutes last night. Bolland is in Chicago's top 6 and by comparison is afforded the ability to scrap when the team needs it.

Keeping Tanev in the lineup. While i think he is a deceent 3rd pair dman, he is lucky to have a partner like Ballard. Not only last night, but in many games this season I have seen him make questionable passes to his partner, forcing Ballard to eitherforce a play to taking a hard hit, rather than chiping it out of the zone. I'd like to see Barker inserted into the lineup to at least see what he can offer. He isn't doing any good in the press box.

If Kesler is supposed to be "eased"into the line up how come after 3 games he averages the most ice time among forwards? If AV expects to keep him fresh for the playoffs then he needs to trust others to be on the ice, whether it's the PK, PP ot 5v5. At 21 minutes per gamehe will be fatigued, injured and battered and bruised come the playoffs.

Overall he needs to have more balanced ice time.

My rant for the morning.

Did you guys not read the original post? He's talking not about the last few games but about how the team has played since January 2012. I agree that a shakeup in the coaching staff could be useful.

Last night, after the 3rd goal, when we were playing like garbage, they showed a clip of AV just chewing his gum staring at the jumbotron. I thought it represented this past year so well. Here is a team that can and should be playing defensively sound, physical, high scoring hockey. When they are playing great, no need to change your coaching style. When they start to falter, and your coaching style isn't working so great, what is the harm of changing a bit and actually berating your players on the bench?

I understand that we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but it doesn't matter. We see the end result.

Im not saying AV is bad, he's fine. I think after the years he's been here themessage may need to change.

Also, it's never been a secret that he has had issues with younger players developing.

I think he can get more out of what he has. And as far as being the number 3 seed, not to bash the team, but it's not that hard when the rest of your dividion isn't doing well. you only need to be better than the other 4.

We won't fail with AV, we just may not reach our potential.

Canucks have played horrible since January. The fact that we scraped out wins against our horrible division as a result almost entirely of good goaltending from a Luongo hot streak is saving AV a lot of face right now. But then, it's not the first time Luongo made AV look better than he is.

There's nothing wrong with our line-up. That "Bolland Sharp > Raymond Schroeder" comparison is stupid. The fact that anyone is comparing our 3rd line to Chicago's 2nd is a testament to our depth.

Kassian is hitting a low in his lack of consistency. Unfortunately, AV has no patience with people who aren't in the "secret circle".

Garrison and Edler have played downright awful. At least Edler has been putting up points. If AV is going to reward hard work, then why haven't any of our depth D seen any ice time? Are they going to be completely cold when our D goes down in the play-offs this year? No games whatsoever? The D as a whole need a shake-up anyways. Give Garrison the night off, and give "project" Barker a shot.

Although, I disagree with your Tanev assessment. For a sophomore, he is doing exceptionally well..

Hamhuis on the other hand needs to get a little more physical. Then again, all of our D need to do that... and AV should be encouraging it, rather than sweeping the issue under the rug and ignoring it.

I fully agree with Kesler's ice time. The Booth - Kesler - Higgins line should be the 3rd line for now, since Schroeder's line was doing great before this mini-slump. I honestly think Kesler doesn't like AV, and AV sucks up to him by giving him ice time and no leash, which Kesler abuses.

To the posters who are blind and tout our record and past successes: wake up and watch the games, and you will see how broken our system is. We need a new coach. AV's system has been taught. It needs adjustment, and he can't do that. Time for a new coach.

Canucks have played horrible since January. The fact that we scraped out wins against our horrible division as a result almost entirely of good goaltending from a Luongo hot streak is saving AV a lot of face right now. But then, it's not the first time Luongo made AV look better than he is.

There's nothing wrong with our line-up. That "Bolland Sharp > Raymond Schroeder" comparison is stupid. The fact that anyone is comparing our 3rd line to Chicago's 2nd is a testament to our depth.

Kassian is hitting a low in his lack of consistency. Unfortunately, AV has no patience with people who aren't in the "secret circle".

Garrison and Edler have played downright awful. At least Edler has been putting up points. If AV is going to reward hard work, then why haven't any of our depth D seen any ice time? Are they going to be completely cold when our D goes down in the play-offs this year? No games whatsoever? The D as a whole need a shake-up anyways. Give Garrison the night off, and give "project" Barker a shot.

Although, I disagree with your Tanev assessment. For a sophomore, he is doing exceptionally well..

Hamhuis on the other hand needs to get a little more physical. Then again, all of our D need to do that... and AV should be encouraging it, rather than sweeping the issue under the rug and ignoring it.

I fully agree with Kesler's ice time. The Booth - Kesler - Higgins line should be the 3rd line for now, since Schroeder's line was doing great before this mini-slump. I honestly think Kesler doesn't like AV, and AV sucks up to him by giving him ice time and no leash, which Kesler abuses.

To the posters who are blind and tout our record and past successes: wake up and watch the games, and you will see how broken our system is. We need a new coach. AV's system has been taught. It needs adjustment, and he can't do that. Time for a new coach.

AV is not a bad coach he is decent. I don't think he is the type of coach that can win us a cup when you watch coaches like quenville sutter torterella there's more intensity on the bench and it translates to agressive tougher play AV has a laid back calm approach and it shows in the way they play.

Have some real concerns about AV's lack of patience to address the short-falls of this team.

Kassian was brought in to be the guy to prevent teh Sedins getting pushed around and shut down like has happened in the playoffs every year. HE was dong his job well and leading the team in scoring but the Sedins couldn't adjust their game (Which is another issue) so Burrows goes back up . Yes, the Sedins are producing, but teams are also taking liberties again.

Now is the time for the twins to be learning to adjust or teaching Kass to play with them consistently. Throwing him up there for a shift or two now and then expecting him to play well with them in the playoffs is a joke.

As for his already over-using of Kesler...one wonders if he isn't hoping he'll be re-injured.

Then there's the D pairings and D zone strategy....

AV has shot his load with this group and has no tricks in the bag. The rest of the league (at least those teams with any talent) know the book on the Nucks and as Toews says, "know how to expose them".

Last night's game was close because of one player on the Nucks and that was Cory. The rest of the play was so unbalanced, it was an embarrassment.

AV will go to his comfort zone every time things get tight and it doesn't work.

I wonder what the players think about AV for realz. IMO what's really wrong with our coaches is our defensive strategy, or lack thereof. I think AV is too concerned with popping goals in the net b/c he thinks our goaltenders are the cream of the crop, but that is just idiotic to rely that much on our goalies. Our defensive system of pinching ALL THE TIME is frustrating to watch. I wish we could play a New Jersey style kind of game and let the goals happen when they happen. Defence wins games and our defensive system is brutal!

Just my two cents.

I think I remember others saying that Bolland has had one career fight. He is not a fighter. He is a troublemaker.

Anyways, I do agree that it is time to get rid of AV. This team has played like garbage since winning the Boston game last january. They played like garbage in the playoffs as well. We may have won the president's trophy last season, but it was because of outstanding goaltending and a highly skilled team that did just enough to win games with the least amount of effort. The thing is that as soon as the playoffs came when the intensity picked up, their play did not. The team neeeds a shake up and I think it is on AV and his coaching staff.

Every time the Canucks lose a few games these threads pop up. Teams go on streaks sometimes. If you remember, they were on a six game winning streak recently.

Was coach Q the "problem" in Chi-Town last season, or was his team just not playing up to their potential?

Have some real concerns about AV's lack of patience to address the short-falls of this team.

Kassian was brought in to be the guy to prevent teh Sedins getting pushed around and shut down like has happened in the playoffs every year.   HE was dong his job well and leading the team in scoring but the Sedins couldn't adjust their game (Which is another issue) so Burrows goes back up .  Yes, the Sedins are producing, but teams are also taking liberties again.

Now is the time for the twins to be learning to adjust or teaching Kass to play with them consistently.  Throwing him up there for a shift or two now and then expecting him to play well with them in the playoffs is a joke.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If AV had stuck with Kassian on the top line and the twins were still struggling, this thread would be flooded with "AV refuses to make adjustments". The fact is, the team has been scoring more since the switch, they're just not as good in goal (last night notwithstanding) or on defense, which is Rick Bowness' responsibility.

Archived