159 replies to this topic

#31 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Whenever I see these AV threads pop up I always wonder... who would you replace him with that is a coach with NHL experience that would be an upgrade and that is available?
Posted Image

#32 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

we have had a slack division for a while now, so its pretty easy to say with our team we should be tops in our conference with a chance at presidents trophy.

Allowing 3 break aways, some when we were on the PP is not accepted. AV should have given a talk to the players and told them to tighten up, or maybe its because we are playing daniel sedin on the point, one of our slowest skaters on the team. I still dont get why we arent setting up Garrison with his big blast from the point, its what we did with salo. Although he needs to lower the height of his shot and hit the net, but look at late last night. get a guy to the net simplify all the passing on the PP and just get a shot to the net and look what happens.

I have been disappointed with the lack ofenthusiasm or in game talking AV does. How can you just stand their and allow your team to give up 3 break aways, and not talk with your coaches and come up with some better offensive plays and not be so typical. Chicago realizes the sedins do the drop pass and look for eachother, its too predictable, they intercepted passes last night.

We wont fire AV until atleast after this year if we get bounced early in the playoffs. But I must say, he has had a long leash with this team and if he cant wake his team up and start coaching better when we have a lead it should be considered.

Our goaltending masks alot of our teams short comings, last night could have been a blowout if schneider didnt make all those early saves. Theyve kept us in low scoring affairs and have been doing this for over 2 years. Maybe they have been making AV look too good?

#33 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Every time the Canucks lose a few games these threads pop up. Teams go on streaks sometimes. If you remember, they were on a six game winning streak recently.

Was coach Q the "problem" in Chi-Town last season, or was his team just not playing up to their potential?

Atleast coach Q makes adjustments and it definitely showed last night.... they knew our system to a tee.

Without elite goaltending ONCE AGAIN we would have been blown out, same story all the time....

I've never once seen AV been able to exploit another teams system, which is why he's a great regular season coach but a bad playoff one, when you play the same team every night and need to know how to adjust.

Edited by TheGame., 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#34 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

name='goalie13'
Whenever I see these AV threads pop up I always wonder... who would you replace him with that is a coach with NHL experience that would be an upgrade and that is available?

Coaches have been fired during the season before, without high end coaches being available or being hired. Look at all the minor league coaches that have come up in recent years. Bylsma won a cup, Boudreau is a good coach that ovechkin ran out of washington. Tampas coach has a great offensive mind, they just need some great goaltending(luongo) and they could be a threat, and maybe try to fix their D a bit. Dineen, Kirk Muller.

There have been quite a few ex players and ahl coaches who have made the jump to the nhl and done well. Its not always about signing a recently fired coach and hoping he can turn it around, a fresh facem new style and ideas would be a welcome addition to our team in my opinion

#35 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,312 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Atleast coach Q makes adjustments and it definitely showed last night.... they knew our system to a tee.

Without elite goaltending ONCE AGAIN we would have been blown out, same story all the time....

I've never once seen AV been able to exploit another teams system, which is why he's a great regular season coach but a bad playoff one, when you play the same team every night and need to know how to adjust.

Yes, yes, we've heard it all before. "AV doesn't make adjustments", "Av juggles too much", "Av doesn't talk to his players", "AV never uses his timeouts" (except when he does). It's amazing that a coach with so many flaws isn't constantly fightimng for the first overall pick...

Go ahead and have your little circle jerk. AV will be around longer than you will because people who actually know something about it are in charge, rather than self-entitled, so-called fans.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#36 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

I agree time for a change. Not that AV is a bad coach he just isn't great. Our team is stacked right now yet every year you see us have a slow start, and mediocre playoffs(compared to how we play during the reg season).
That's on the coaching staff, drives me nuts how no one holds them accountable for our slow starts every year. I mean it doesn't have to be that way, and it is on the coaching staff to get the team prepared for the start of a season.
Come mid season we are fine because well honestly are team is just alot better than some of the other teams in our division and league.
Then come playoffs when you need that extra lil push we fall flat, can't score and generally just play worse. Everyone then turns and says oh it's because we need this or we need that.
Guys take a good look at our team and compare it to others, we are stacked. There aren't many teams that can match our skill. We just need to play our game and have a smart coach that can tinker and make small adjustments to get them going when they need that small push.
Our talent alone will give us a good record come regular season, what not try someone new steering the ship, couldn't hurt. Last thing we want to see is what happened to my football team(chargers). Have an incredible team in a weak division with a mediocre coach. You will put up a good record, but will faulter in the playoffs. Won't change the coach because look at our record from last year. Will be the status quo year after year, untill the talent detiorates(which it will) before you finally make a move on the weak link, and your window is closed. Just my thoughts could be wrong but why not try something

#37 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

You make a point about the lack of adjusting.

IMO as long as the Canucks win their division, which should not be a problem, my biggest concern is preparing this team for CUP play. If the 1st & 2nd lines are getting 18 minutes a night that should be good enough. AV should be roling his lines which would ensure Kassian and Schroeder get enough minutes to develop.

If the team had a problem with AV I think that would have leaked out by now. As much as one might question AV's coaching there are other issues as well. Does the puck possession game used by the Twins really work in CUP play? Is it inevitable that CUP quality defences will break it down?

Also found Bieksa"s comment interesting that the Canucks felt going into the 3rd last night down 2 that they could come back. He felt that if they did that well playing 40 out of 60 minutes that when they did get their game together for a full 60 that they would be unbeatable. (Paraphrase)

#38 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

So....he needs to be more patient with the players, but more impatient with his assistants, is that about right?

How many years have the assistants been there. He has been more than patient with his assistants. The PP has stunk since last winter and the D coverage has been brutal. The constant D pairing juggling is proof that they don't really have a plan but just hope they can figure something out.

I can see why the players run the dressing room...the coaches have nothing to tell them so they are alone to try and figure it out.

#39 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

In related news... Ruff just got fired.
Posted Image

#40 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,728 posts

Yes, yes, we've heard it all before. "AV doesn't make adjustments", "Av juggles too much", "Av doesn't talk to his players", "AV never uses his timeouts" (except when he does). It's amazing that a coach with so many flaws isn't constantly fightimng for the first overall pick...

Go ahead and have your little circle jerk. AV will be around longer than you will because people who actually know something about it are in charge, rather than self-entitled, so-called fans.

He's not fighting for the 1st overall pick because he is a fine coach in the regular season but gets out coached all the time in the playoffs.

Don't know why you can't see this.

Canucks have an elite team and should always make the playoffs no matter who their coach is.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#41 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

LOL!!

Really top three in the conference and we have a coaching problem?

Go put on your helmet before you leave the house

x2

I've been wondering about this every time I see an 'fire AV' -thread... Who in the right mind would sack a coach that took a talented team to the finals, won two presidents trophies and himself won a Jack Adams a few years back - with the team hanging around and at the top of the league every year, being a real threat to win every night and often being a measuring stick for others and a team to beat etc. Everyone goes through tough times and can't win every game, but come on...

Who in the world would we take as replacement and instantly adapt to a new coaching style, click and make it work BETTER than now? I just don't know why someone would do so... With the super short amount of time left to make everything work even. Playoffs coming up just around the corner. Oh boy.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#42 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

POPULAR

6 wins in a row then they go 0-1-2 everyone decides its time to panic and say we need to make a trade or fire the coach typical cdc

6 wins and only 1 against a decent opponent.

Sorry...this team has been playing mediocre hockey since they beat the Bruins last January.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#43 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

6 wins and only 1 against a decent opponent.

Sorry...this team has been playing mediocre hockey since they beat the Bruins last January.

Exactly!! A talented team that is under-achieving in a big way. Chicago really exposed this team last night. Should have been 8-1!!

#44 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Holy crap.... Lindy ruff just became available 5 min ago...... Here come the threads!! HAHAHAHA

#45 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Lindy Ruff may be available soon.

#46 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Sorry for the confusion, Bolland didn't scrap last night but tried to and would have if Hansen would have accommodated.

As far as firing AV, that is part of the discussion. Who is available and who would be a good replacement? The first few that come to mind as available are Renny, Quin, MacTavish, promote Arneil? Not that any of these are better than AV. Heck, there may not be any currently available, but something I think MG should be aware of.

And yes, AV needs to be able to take the hit for deficincies from his assistants, thats why he's the boss.

#47 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

In related news... Ruff just got fired.

Once the ball gets rolling you never know who will be next.

#48 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

A.V is not the problem you morons.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#49 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

wouldnt AV have to do somthing to be the problem? hes never talking to his players on the bench hes never ripping guys for bad turnovers or a bad shift keeping them acountable hes never drawing up plays on the timeout breaks he just stands their chewing his gum ....it was great for him and gillis win coach and gm of the year when the team was full of allstars put in place by past management.

#50 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Relax everybody is just pontificating.

#51 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well thought out and convincing argument. Why bother!!

#52 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

POPULAR

With lindy ruff just getting the axe this would be a great time for a coaching upgrade.

#53 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

I think AV is a fine coach, I just think it's time to start working on a better game plan for 2nd periods. We have been horrendous in the middle frame. But that has been a problem for a couple years now. Even in our 2010-11 campaign, most of the teams losses came because they became stagnant in the 2nd period. It is almost as if conditioning isn't as good as it should be and they become tired after the first 20 and use the second period to catch their breath.

The PK has improved, and scoring has increased, and the PP is better with Kesler available.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#54 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

:picard:

Posted Image

#55 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

coaching upgrade?

I think Lindy Ruff is a good coach, but he is not an upgrade on AV.
Posted Image

#56 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

I felt obligated to post, because I hate AV. But I got nothin'

#plusonepost
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#57 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Wow that was fast....

He got fired for a reason, which likely isn't a reason to 'upgrade'
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#58 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,881 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ruff is a pretty good coach.

The reason he got fired is because Regier assembled a horrible team. So now he`s saving his own butt.

But if Buffalo continues its freefall, maybe we can get Ott out of there.

Edited by DeNiro, 20 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#59 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

wouldnt AV have to do somthing to be the problem? hes never talking to his players on the bench hes never ripping guys for bad turnovers or a bad shift keeping them acountable hes never drawing up plays on the timeout breaks he just stands their chewing his gum ....it was great for him and gillis win coach and gm of the year when the team was full of allstars put in place by past management.

AV sends messages by demiting guys during the game. It's no wonder they look shell-chocked out there. Try playing with the knowledge that one slip-up and you're demoted or benched. Most players woud rather be ripped for a mistake and put back in to make amends.

Even if the problem isn't AV and his style/strategy (and I personally think it is) if the players are underachieveing under his coaching, the solution is to get a new coach. They've tried replacing the players and demoting/juggling and the on-ice perforrmance simply doesn't match up to the talent and $$ they have invested. It has been said before, it's easier to fire the coach than the teram. Look at WIlson in Toronto...same players and Burke was adamant the problem wasn't Wilson but they sure don't play like they did under WIlson.

#60 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

I felt obligated to post, because I hate AV. But I got nothin'

#plusonepost

dido! lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.