Hahaha that was quick.

#63 NucksCelts

NucksCelts

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

The best coaches in the world have been fired. After a certain amount of time, coaches no longer are effective on the team, and change is what's needed.

#64 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,925 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

He's not fighting for the 1st overall pick because he is a fine coach in the regular season but gets out coached all the time in the playoffs.

Don't know why you can't see this.

One has to wonder why Mike Gillis can't see this either. If it is so glaringly obvious, as you seem to think, how is it that it has escaped the notice of a GM who was voted the best in the entire league?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#65 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

The best coaches in the world have been fired. After a certain amount of time, coaches no longer are effective on the team, and change is what's needed.

Like the Canucks right now.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 20 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#66 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

yes, if AV don't do well this season and Ruff is still available....who knows.

Ruff is a good coach, he was part of team Canada Olympic team in 2010, not just any coach gets to be part of it.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#67 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ruff is a pretty good coach.

The reason he got fired is because Regier assembled a horrible team. So now he`s saving his own butt.

But if Buffalo continues its freefall, maybe we can get Ott out of there.

I agree!

#68 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I wish I knew more about Lindy Ruff. Buffalo is doing horrible, which is strange cuz their players aren't doing too bad. They have a nice young line-up. I dunno...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#69 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

If the Canucks had a slightly worse record, then yes.
Posted Image

#70 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ruff is a good coach,but he's a guy that could really use some time off...He is no upgrade on AV

#71 yawn.3x

yawn.3x

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think we should talk more about our Special Teams coach before AV... We have a dedicated PP coach and he's done nothing. Our powerplay looks awful. Unless we get a 5 on 3 then I mean it's almost a free goal.

2 breakaways on the man-advantage? Maybe we should fire our dedicated Powerplay Coach who looks like he's doing more harm then good.

#72 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

One has to wonder why Mike Gillis can't see this either. If it is so glaringly obvious, as you seem to think, how is it that it has escaped the notice of a GM who was voted the best in the entire league?

Burke refused to acknowledge Wilson's role as well. Wouldn't expect MG to publicly say AV is a problem but he may think it. You don't really kow.

As for the players, not likely they will say anything because 1) repurcussions from the management and 2) they have it too good. They run the dressing room. How many teams allow that?

I think there's a few guys on our team that coudl find another gear if they had to face Quenneville and his stare after a poor performance.

#73 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Every time the Canucks lose a few games these threads pop up. Teams go on streaks sometimes. If you remember, they were on a six game winning streak recently.

Was coach Q the "problem" in Chi-Town last season, or was his team just not playing up to their potential?

Hahaha qft

#74 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,927 posts

:picard:

Posted Image

#75 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

If the Canucks had a slightly worse record, then yes.

Pits, chi, and LA, made key coaching moves that played a huge role in their cup wins. It's important to not wait too long.

#76 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

The only reason why this team hasn't won a cup yet is because of AV, this team should have won a cup by now with this core of players. So what if this team wins the President Trophy, if he's that special then he should of won us a cup by now, but that's not the case, he can't do it, because he get's out coached all the time in playoffs it's ridiculous. The back to back loses 2 years in a row to Chicago in the playoffs should of been a good enough sign, but still wasn't, and then the year later they were up 3-1 and still almost lost it in game 7 that's just horrible coaching and it's sad he is still here.

Always have been and always will be a NON AV SUPPORTER, it will be a sad day when this core is split up and they couldn't win a cup because their Coach chokes in playoffs.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#77 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

After watching last nights game, and the last few, I am starting to wonder if AV is the problem. I think over the years that he is a fine coach, however I'm not convinced that he's the one to help bring the cup to Vancouver, more of a second line coach if you will.

Different decisions that baffle me.

The team, and fans, recognize the need for toughness in the top 6. GMMG gets some (Kassian). He is tied for the team lead in goals, is a willing combatant, however is demoted to the bottom six and had only 10 minutes last night. Bolland is in Chicago's top 6 and by comparison is afforded the ability to scrap when the team needs it.

Keeping Tanev in the lineup. While i think he is a deceent 3rd pair dman, he is lucky to have a partner like Ballard. Not only last night, but in many games this season I have seen him make questionable passes to his partner, forcing Ballard to eitherforce a play to taking a hard hit, rather than chiping it out of the zone. I'd like to see Barker inserted into the lineup to at least see what he can offer. He isn't doing any good in the press box.

If Kesler is supposed to be "eased"into the line up how come after 3 games he averages the most ice time among forwards? If AV expects to keep him fresh for the playoffs then he needs to trust others to be on the ice, whether it's the PK, PP ot 5v5. At 21 minutes per gamehe will be fatigued, injured and battered and bruised come the playoffs.

Overall he needs to have more balanced ice time.

My rant for the morning.

Kassian's effort has been lacking of late and making some bad decisions, that being said, he needs to play to learn from his mistake but we all know AV is not rookie friendly

Tanev has been making some surprising mistakes but I would think that he's been one of the steadiest defencemen on our team

kesler's ice time is baffling, but he plays powerplay and kills penalty, logically he would be one of the highest minute forwards on the canucks team

what i have issues with is the coaching staff's unwillingness to sit out some of their d men so maybe they can wake up a little, doesn't matter how much they are paid, sit them out or bench them, wake them up.

pp has been awful this year, why not station kassian infront of the net?

the canucks failure at shootouts is frustrating, practice it and come up with a plan

with regards to mg, the group of D he has assembled is now clearly not big or tough enough to handle the bigger forwards in the league. The D's group confidence is so low right now, it almost seems everyone of them is handling the puck like a grenade.

the nucks are a good team, but probably not good enough to win it all at the moment, but who knows what happens when the playoffs starts

#78 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,078 posts

Not saying I agree with him being an upgrade or not but coaches overall have a short shelf life, some have longer than others,
For Instance Sutter has about a 1-2 year shelf life before the he doesn't get through to the players anymore, Bruce Boudreau got fired in Washington. Does that mean he is a bad coach? NO is just meant his players stop playing for him. It's something the canucks need to ask them selves. Is Allains' shelf life expired?

#79 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,925 posts

Burke refused to acknowledge Wilson's role as well.  Wouldn't expect MG to publicly say AV is a problem but he may think it.  You don't really kow.

Neither of us "know" However, I'd hazard a guess that Gillis wouldn't have extended AV if he thought he was the problem...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#80 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

Lots of folks wanting AV fired, but not coming up with any suggestions for a replacement. Guess some fans think MG can pull a better coach out of his hat.

Soooo...let's have a look at who's available...

Lindy Ruff: have a look at the Buffalo boards and see what they're saying. Makes AV look like a genius in Nuck fans' eyes.

Mark Crawford: retread and you're dead.

Ron Wilosn: did such a great job in To! Meet the new Vancouver Maple Leafs...

Anyone I'm missing? Maybe some coach in the Swedish hinterland?

#81 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Not saying I agree with him being an upgrade or not but coaches overall have a short shelf life, some have longer than others,
For Instance Sutter has about a 1-2 year shelf life before the he doesn't get through to the players anymore, Bruce Boudreau got fired in Washington. Does that mean he is a bad coach? NO is just meant his players stop playing for him. It's something the canucks need to ask them selves. Is Allains' shelf life expired?

Well said. I think the team would respect a coach like Ruff and play for him. AV, isn't being heard right now, and that will carry through to the special teams.

#82 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

With lindy ruff just getting the axe this would be a great time for a coaching upgrade.

You out of CDC? A smarter member in?
Posted Image

#83 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

My friend is a Buffalo fan and he absolutely hate Regier, but really appreciated the efforts by Ruff with a typically weak roster (although they have improved on paper from a few years ago).

This gives us an option to replace AV, now that there is someone reputable out there.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#84 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

If they pull the trigger and can AV, that would definitely count as a 'bold move.'

They'd have to be really sold on Ruff though.
Posted Image

#85 murph777

murph777

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Three coaches I would love to see behind the Canuck bench, Queneville, Babcock, and Ruff.

#86 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wow that was fast....

He got fired for a reason, which likely isn't a reason to 'upgrade'

players tune out coaches after a while...its not saying they are bad coach. some of the best coaches have had multiple teams
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#87 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Neither of us "know" However, I'd hazard a guess that Gillis wouldn't have extended AV if he thought he was the problem...

Burke extended WIson and then fired him. It happens all the time. Before the extension, Montreal was making noises about hiring AV. GIllis had no one in the wings he was interested in so teo keep AV, he extended him.

Remember, very few coaches had had AV's tenure and fewer have actually won a cup after so many years with the same team/group.

Players grow too comfortable in the system/relationship and can lose the hunger and tune out the message, especially if the system hasn't achieved the desired outcomes. LA turned it around with the same players but a different bench boss. Anaheim has done the same so far this year as has Toronto and Montreal. Obviously, Buffalo thinks changing out Ruff will make a difference. AV's had lots of time to show he can get it done along with the financial support of the owner and player acquisitions that supposedly filled the holes for this team. The result is a team tha tlooks more lost and inneffective than it has in the past 4 years.

TIme for a change.

#88 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Ruff is a pretty good coach.

The reason he got fired is because Regier assembled a horrible team. So now he`s saving his own butt.

But if Buffalo continues its freefall, maybe we can get Ott out of there.

You are correct, Ruff has done a lot more with way less

Miller is one of the biggest reasons they suck
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#89 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

That's what the Canucks need - coaches with female names.

First Elaine, now Lindy. That's obviously why we can't win with this team!
Posted Image

#90 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,925 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Burke extended WIson and then fired him.  It happens all the time.  Before the extension, Montreal was making noises about hiring AV. GIllis had no one in the wings he was interested in so teo keep AV, he extended him.

Remember, very few coaches had had AV's tenure and fewer have actually won a cup after so many years with the same team/group.

So you're saying that Gillis wanted to fire AV, but chose to extend him because he didn't have a replacement ready to go? It's a pretty interesting hypothesis, but counter to virtually every coaching dynamic I've ever seen. (I don't believe that Burke extended a coach when he intended to fire him either, BTW)

In regards to your second paragraph, I don't subscribe to the school of a coach should be fired for the reason that he hasn't been fired yet. YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.