35 replies to this topic

#31 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Not sure I completely agree. Raymond and Schroeder were finding each other, nice little passes in front of the net that were setting up scoring opportunities. Notice, in front of the net. That's not perimeter play. When he was placed on the line with Kesler, Raymond going hard got no support. Ok, Mayray takes off going up the left side drawing players that way. He can't beat the defender, so what is the move? Pass, obviously, to someone coming up the middle. Coming up the middle, lets see, maybe the center? Only Kesler isn't there. Schroeder was. Schroeder seemed to know what Mayray needed if he didn't beat the defender. He also gave the goalie another threat to be aware of.

Now, Kelswer is a good center, and a good player, and is overall far better than Schroeder, no argument. All I am saying is that Schroeder and Raymond complimented each other in a way that Kesler and Raymond do not. I fear some of it is Kesler has a big head, and is unwilling to adapt, and would rather force a player to follow him in as opposed to supporting him.

I certainly can't dispute what you're saying...Mase was effective in the first 12 games because he was going to the net and developing chemistry with Schroeder on the short touch/give and go in tight space passes. But, the last three games, he's gone back to doing the fly by along the wall. So yes, I would like to see him back with Schroeder on a regular basis, rather than seeing AV play around with the lines to accommodate Kes's return.

He scored a beauty vs. the Blues off of a relatively long rebound, so he's still contributing. My point essentially is that Mase is working hard to shed the perimeter tag, but when it gets heated, his reflex is turn away from the net than towards. It would be great to see what he can do by taking the puck to the net rather than peeling off looking for an outlet in the offensive zone...his playing with greater strength in his stride, so now is a good a time as any for Mase to do this.

Mase is not the only who does this, so I don't mean to single him out for this. Plus, ever since my wife met him at the Yaletown Urban Fare three years ago, he's been her favorite player, so I am biased towards liking the guy (i.e., if you can't beat 'em, join 'em). I'm jacked to see him at near 100% health (I doubt he will ever be the same physically) and to see him produce as well as he has so far.

#32 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Good that we always play against our own divison.....

#33 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

People always find something to whine about. I've actually been happy with Raymond's improved play this year. He's actually on pace to put up 2nd line points instead of last year where he was invisible.

#34 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Raymond is fine fans just overvalued him and expected too much. Hes become very good defensively and hes fast with offensively skill. Great 3rd line forward.

#35 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

All the Canucks suck against good teams. Our record in the division is amazing, outside of it we're below .500 which is plain pathetic. I'm guessing our record against playoff-teams is well below .500.
Posted Image

#36 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Really, its as simple as since Kesler's return, his line has been getting the offensive shifts Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen were getting. And understandably so.

Perfect time to trade MayRay if your not going to use him?

Raymond scores, has shots, has possession and creates opportunities.

Against teams like Calgary and Edmonton.

Against Chicago, and big teams like St Louis and SJ he is invisible.

Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.