The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raymond; Great against bad teams, invisible against good ones

Merci

I would agree with your assessment of Mase to some degree.

Raymond is a perimeter player...always has been, always will be. This can be said for most of the Canucks forwards, so he's not alone.

Mase needs open ice to be effective, so against big teams he becomes neutralized pretty easily. He had shown signs breaking through this in games 1-12, but has not been so effective last few. He still backchecks hard, so at the very least, he's contributing on the defensive front.

What we need is to have our forwards play with the moxie and physicality of carrying the puck hard to the net to create scoring chances. Can Kes and Booth (together and independent of each other) do this? Let's hope so.

I think that is what separates the Hawks from the others...all their forwards drive hard to the net and aren't afraid to do so. Even their relatively small guys, like Kane, Shaw and Bolland drive hard to the net. For the most part, we have a pretty big defence...its a shame that we let rats like Bolland and Kane have their way up the middle against us.

I would agree with your assessment of Mase to some degree.

Raymond is a perimeter player...always has been, always will be. This can be said for most of the Canucks forwards, so he's not alone.

Mase needs open ice to be effective, so against big teams he becomes neutralized pretty easily. He had shown signs breaking through this in games 1-12, but has not been so effective last few. He still backchecks hard, so at the very least, he's contributing on the defensive front.

What we need is to have our forwards play with the moxie and physicality of carrying the puck hard to the net to create scoring chances. Can Kes and Booth (together and independent of each other) do this? Let's hope so.

I think that is what separates the Hawks from the others...all their forwards drive hard to the net and aren't afraid to do so. Even their relatively small guys, like Kane, Shaw and Bolland drive hard to the net. For the most part, we have a pretty big defence...its a shame that we let rats like Bolland and Kane have their way up the middle against us.

H's not a top liner. He's getting back to his 25 goal season form though.

maybe your setting your bar too high?

I think he's doing just fine considering he was invisible last season.

I think raymond is a decent player and has recovered well from his injury. That being said, last nights game (at times) had some playoff grit/intensity to it

Raymond was really invisible for the most part and given the pace of the game you would have hoped it was a game he's shine in. Fair comments suggesting that he may play better with Schroeder (who he didn't see ice with at all) and AV really shortened the bench last night.

That being said, Raymond's trade value is probably the highest its been in years. If we can move him for a 20+ goal player with size to a team needing speed we will likely be better built for the playoffs and grit we need.

We are lacking aggressiveness (perhaps this is AV restraining guys) but other than Kassian I don't see anyone in our fwds who can really intimidate with a hit and score. (Volpatti is doing a heck of a job in his role but can't score).

So adding more size would seem beneficial.

We need to stop all this chopping and changing of lines. I defend AV regularly on here but I am now almost feeling that he thinks so much of the abilities of this team that he goes out to handicap them.

We all know, near as damn it what the lines should be so get them sorted and lets allow the players to get into their partnerships and systems.

Dan Hamhuis has been garbage since splitting him from Bieksa and Bieksa ...............I sometimes think he is in a different game all together..........mercurial doesn't quite do him justice. Too good to sit and too unpredictable to watch sometimes.

In one move AV has ruined 2/3 players. Schroeder is a shadow of where he was and looks uncertain. Raymond can never find Kesler and Kesler doesn't look for Raymond. Hansen also looked short of how he was performing with Raymond and JS.

He's ruining Kass by playing him all over the place. Get him back with the Twins, I still think he has performed better there than Burr.

Booth needs 5 or 6 games so I absolve him from any criticism.

We were pretty poor out there and our passing and dumping was dire. We were so disjointed you would have taken this team to have just met each for the first time the day before. If it hadn't been for Cory we would have been royally shafted, long before the 3rd period.

AV better get his act together or winningest coach or not he is going to feel the wrath of the owners big time.

Raymond is a perimeter player...always has been, always will be. This can be said for most of the Canucks forwards, so he's not alone. Mase needs open ice to be effective, so against big teams he becomes neutralized pretty easily. He had shown signs breaking through this in games 1-12, but has not been so effective last few. He still backchecks hard, so at the very least, he's contributing on the defensive front.

I think raymond is a decent player and has recovered well from his injury. That being said, last nights game (at times) had some playoff grit/intensity to it

Raymond was really invisible for the most part and given the pace of the game you would have hoped it was a game he's shine in. Fair comments suggesting that he may play better with Schroeder (who he didn't see ice with at all) and AV really shortened the bench last night.

That being said, Raymond's trade value is probably the highest its been in years. If we can move him for a 20+ goal player with size to a team needing speed we will likely be better built for the playoffs and grit we need.

We are lacking aggressiveness (perhaps this is AV restraining guys) but other than Kassian I don't see anyone in our fwds who can really intimidate with a hit and score. (Volpatti is doing a heck of a job in his role but can't score).

So adding more size would seem beneficial.

Archived