The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks now vs. Broad Street Bullies then

Raffi Torres's Smirk

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I watched this documentary on the Broad Street Bullies:

I found it interesting how the coaches didn't just use physical play and fighting for entertainment purposes, but actually as a tactic for winning games. They incorporated a strategy of intimidation to not only give their talented players more space, but as a result everyone on the team played "with bigger balls." This culture of physical play and hard work translated to winning more puck battles, and eventually, more games.

Do you think this could be a better system than what we have right now? Is there too much skill in the league for this to be effective?

Although unrealistic under AV, I hope that one day the Canucks will play like this again. I'm not even sure a massive lineup change would be needed either. If guys like Volpatti, Kassian, Lapierre, even Vandermeer, were getting regular shifts and were 'off the leash' so to speak the whole image of the Canucks could change. Team's wouldn't take liberties with our players. Suits in the lower bowl might actually stay off their cellphones (or better yet, not show up). Music in the arena would change. The Southsiders (and other awesome fans) wouldn't be getting booted. Don Cherry would be our number one fanboy.

Obviously, this isn't what the Aquilini's want because they like GMMG, AV, and the money that comes along with the corporate image we have. Maybe some over the hill celebrity with a lot of money and bravado (e.g. Hulk Hogan) would need to buy the Canucks for this to happen. Does anyone know any 'old time hockey' stars that have the money to buy the Canucks?

Another thing they talk about is how important having Bernie Parent was for them (their goalie). They way the players spoke of him reminded me about how the Canucks players talk about Schneider. Parent gave them resolve, confidence, like Schneider does for the Canucks. Schneider isn't as much of a character as Parent was (shoe sniffer, daily naps with his german shepherd) but his impressions are pretty good.

We have the pieces, we could do this if we wanted to.

I'm quite happy with the level of physicality we have this year with Kassian, Volpatti, Lapierre, Bieksa and Weise willing to fight, although a few more solid hits in game would be nice. I'd rather watch the Canucks win games as a skill team than a team of goons.

The Skill level of todays game is a lot harder to come by than the simple goonery of the old days. That style wouldn't work, the penalty box would be full and the rest of the teams in the league would eat Van alive on the PP. Besides, if guys have a choice on how to play, very few in the league today would choose to play like that rather than a smart, skill game. Anyone can field a team of ogres. Go watch wrestling or MMA for that stuff, leave the skill and speed to hockey.

I am not a fan of the style of hockey our team plays. Fighting is ok but what we really need is team toughness. A combination of hits, blocked shots, and attitude is what I appreciate. If our stars (plus Bieksa, Hammer and Edler) played with half of the conviction of Hansen, our team would own.

He'd probably want to rent a place in Massachusetts for his convenience.

RE: OP, I don't think team goonery is the proper extent to take it (Julien); I'd think the best tactic would be to have team toughness, not in the form of battering the other guys with your fists but by being physical during games where you can leave your mark (physically and on the scoreboard) the most. Consistent, solid checking and not tolerating any abuse given, but NOT being the aggressors in making dirty plays, should be the way to go about it, IMO.

Hockey is a business first and a sport second under Bettman. What's best for the game is more popularity in America, which means prioritizing the success of struggling teams and teams in important TV markets. There are a few exceptions due to politics like Jeremy Jacobs' high position in the NHL but for the most part, the NHL makes money by increasing hockey's popularity in the States. Canucks hockey doesn't do that and so, regardless of how we play, we're gonna get reigned in by refs. A hyper-physical game isn't going to jive well in today's NHL.

That said, I'd love to see refs call things by the book and you'd undoubtedly see bigger hits, more dynamic games, more offense, real superstars coming to the forefront along the lines of star basketball players and way more emotion. As it is now, the game is cold and dead because people practically get penalized while on the bench. That would grow the game in my mind, but Bettman just doesn't see that. And why would a lawyer who used to be NBA commissioner see that in the game?

I'm quite happy with the level of physicality we have this year with Kassian, Volpatti, Lapierre, Bieksa and Weise willing to fight, although a few more solid hits in game would be nice. I'd rather watch the Canucks win games as a skill team than a team of goons.

I don't think any team will be like the Broad Street Bullies, the game has changed so much. Hockey will always be a tough sport, but I doubt it will ever be as much of a gongshow as it was back then.

Anyways I think if you look at what Mike Gillis has been doing recently, the Canucks have been trending towards a tougher style of play. Look at our recent draft picks, as well as the Kassian trade. I think we're already seeing results, the Canucks seem pretty physical this year and are 3rd in the league in fights. I think down the road we will see an even bigger and tougher team once our younger players reach the big leagues.

Just as an interesting side note on the "Broad Street Bullies", I think a lot depends on how the NHL refs would call the games they play.

Do we recall that 1975 - 76 tour by the Red Army team? Super Series '76 it was called.

The Red Army beat the Rangers 7 - 3, tied Montreal 3 - 3 (who were the current Stanley Cup champions), beat Boston 5 - 2, and lost to the Flyers by a score of 4 - 1.

The Red Army team lost because the Flyers prepared for them, and then played the game as they played an NHL game, and the refs called the game like an NHL game. From Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge...):

"In their final game, Red Army suffered a 4-1 loss at the hands of the defending two-time Stanley Cup champions, the Philadelphia Flyers. That game was notable as the Flyers' completely dominated the game, even without having Hall of Fame goalie Bernie Parent available for the game. The gritty Flyers who were led by 3-time league MVP winner Bobby Clarke, great play by several Flyers including Rick MacLeish, Wayne Stevenson in goal, and even a shorthanded goal by light scoring defenseman Joe Watson, also Ed Van Impe delivered a hard hit on the CSKA's top player, Valeri Kharlamov, knocking the latter prone on the ice for a minute, and the Soviet coach pulled his team from the ice in protest of the officials' ruling that the hit was a legal play (19:15 is the start of a sequence of hits the Russians received in the video, ending with the hit to Kharlamov). Praise of the Flyers play came from all areas of North America, even from the Montreal Gazette sports writer Tim Burke "The Flyers salvage Canada's pride in her nation sport with a near perfect hockey masterpiece... It came as a glorious finale to Super Series '76...It was one of the most remarkable displays of preparedness, discipline and unflappability in the annals of sport and it elevated Flyers' Coach Fred Shero's systematic approach to the game beyond question."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2VUUzezVf8

There is something to be said for playing a hard-hitting, physical style provided that the official aren't going to give you an unduly high number of penalties for playing in that fashion.

On the other hand, goon hockey is not something I'd like to see make a come-back.

regards,

G.

Archived