#31 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

@VanCanucks: D: 2-3. 23-8. 4-5. 41-18. #Canucks

@sportsnetmurph: #canucks new D-pairs: hamhuis-Bieksa / Edler-Tanev, Garrison-Ballard.

wow, I was about to propose that very set-up, but decided not to create a new thread. But since this is actual news, I'm glad to hear it!

The pros:

Hamhuis - Bieksa are reunited. Hopefully, this also comes with some direction from the coaches (SHUT IT DOWN!)

Edler - Tanev is something I had in the back of my mind. Tanev can be the outlet passer this team needs, and it's about time it is recognized. Tanev certainly deserved a promotion with his play (if that is in fact what it is). The even bigger pro here: EDLER ON THE RIGHT SIDE! WOOHOO!!!

Garrison - Ballard is the two lefties line, and it makes sense that it's the 3rd pairing. Hopefully Ballard's skilled aspects bode well with Garrison. Ballard is a good passer, and plays physical. And Garrison should be on the third pairing while he "adjusts".

Forgot about the cons lol:

Ballard - Tanev separated... not a big deal; they were our 3rd pairing.

3rd pairing makes 8.8 mil.

Ballard not getting recognized for his good play. If that pairing sinks, my money is on Ballard getting benched before Garrison does, even if Garrison is the weak link. I REALLY hope this pair succeeds, for the sake of both of these players.

All in all: I'm happy Tanev is with Edler, because aside from the shot, Tanev is the closest thing this current team has to what Salo's style of defence is. Tanev plays a good, calm, positional defence game. Edler is used to this, and should be able to pick up his game as a result.

The risk here is Tanev might not be able to make up for all of Edler's gaffs.

I honestly think AV should bag skate the defensemen. Single them out.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 20 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#32 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ballard and Tanev should have both been promoted up to the 2nd d pairing! why not? just seems no matter what Ballard will not get more minutes and move up because of AV
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#33 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes! Edler with Tanev is going to be sick! And how cheap is our 3rd pairing eh?
Posted Image

#34 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Damn, hopefully Garrison doesn't bring down Ballard's game too.

#35 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,377 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

The pairings clearly weren't working the way they were. He had to change them.

Hamhuis and Bieksa already have chemistry. The reason it wasn't working earlier is because Hamhuis is still trying to find his game, so he hasn't been able to make up for Bieksa's mistakes.

Edler and Garrison will not work right now with those two playing the way they are. Both are struggling too much positionally. That's where Tanev can provide the Hamhuis effect for Edler. Edler`s our best offensive defenseman, without him on his game, the rest of the offense suffers.

I think Ballard and Garrison should be a pretty good pairing. Just cause they`re a bottom pairing doesn`t mean they can`t get as many minutes as the second pair. Whoever plays better out of the two pairs should get more ice time. Either way, I see this as being much more balanced.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#36 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

What was wrong with.

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Why does AV constantly change lines and then seems surprised when player's drop their form.

Umm that is exactly what isn't working. I have been waiting for a long time to see Tanev and Edler united I for one am excited.

#37 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I think anything is worth a try right now,although it does seem a shame to split up Ballard and Tanev...Ballard is finally playing with a lot of confidence.

Off the topic a bit..what's happened to Dan Hamhuis?..He has been playing really 'out of character',he usually plays a fairly dependable conservative game.Not so much this season.

#38 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Yes! Edler with Tanev is going to be sick! And how cheap is our 3rd pairing eh?

Ballard seems to be the go to guy for new or rookie d-men, maybe he is a steady influence. Maybe what the doctor ordered for Garrison.

#39 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

The pairings clearly weren't working the way they were. He had to change them.

Hamhuis and Bieksa already have chemistry. The reason it wasn't working earlier is because Hamhuis is still trying to find his game, so he hasn't been able to make up for Bieksa's mistakes.

Edler and Garrison will not work right now with those two playing the way they are. Both are struggling too much positionally. That's where Tanev can provide the Hamhuis effect for Edler. Edler`s our best offensive defenseman, without him on his game, the rest of the offense suffers.

I think Ballard and Garrison should be a pretty good pairing. Just cause they`re a bottom pairing doesn`t mean they can`t get as many minutes as the second pair. Whoever plays better out of the two pairs should get more ice time. Either way, I see this as being much more balanced.

What Nero said!

#40 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

2 thumbs up. Edler is probably relieved like hell right now. I feel sorry for Ballard.

More like Tanev is saying how the frack am I going to keep the puck out of the net with this guy on my line.

You guys misinterpreted that. Edler has been DEmoted.

Couldn't agree more.

Love Tanev, so I'm happy for him, but losing him is not going to be good for Ballard. Ballard needs to show he can maintain his level of play without a calm, cool Tanev cleaning up for his mistakes. And Garrison needs to show the kind of game he did in the first few of the season. That's a sink or swim pairing for sure.

I think people will be quite surprised when the Ballard Garrison pairing does well. I think these are complimentary players.

Edited by Dogbyte, 20 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#41 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,573 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I wish we have resigned salo or sign carle instead of garrison. His been horrible this year

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#42 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Our third D pairing is so overpaid is not even funny
Posted Image

#43 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

More like Garrison demoted.

#44 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I love this kid and can't wait until he is a top 4 guy for us next season.

Definitely has the potential to play with Edler. That's a scary tandem.

I said this a year ago yesterday. :bigblush:

#45 Canucksftw0205

Canucksftw0205

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

You guys misinterpreted that. Edler has been DEmoted.

Edler has been a part of the 2nd D pairing for ages now, so it's really just a reversion to his original status....
Respect your Edler! Posted Image

#46 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wow just wow AV.....eliminate any chemistry not involving the top line....unreal.

MG: cap space avsilable and 5mil+\_ of goaltending every night on the bench in a ball cap.

Team: can't play for 60.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#47 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm guessing av is trying in garrison on the right side on the 3rd pair so he doesnt haft to play against top players and then once he is comfortable there he will put him with edler....where he should be

And for god sakes keep edler comfortable and keep him there....when's the last time you have seen a player play well when's he's forced to do something ?
Posted Image

#48 UltimateEvin

UltimateEvin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Sassy Garrison wonders why.

Attached Files

Edited by UltimateEvin, 20 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#49 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

lmaso !!!  Way to go AV what player management lol!

you mean way to go MG right? MG's the one you brought in both of these guys and agreed to pay them their massive salaries. AV is just rewarding the best players on the ice with more ice time regardless of salaries, which is what I personally think any coach should do.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#50 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

shoulve just made ballard and tanev as number one pairing.

Lol but I think increased ice time will show more mistakes by Ballard and tanev too. edler does alot positive things but bc he plays a big chunk alot of his mistakes also come out. Who are we fooling, edler is not lidstrom. It is what it is. Hamuis and beiska made alot mistakes last night. Especially bieska was probably the most except his timely goal hides it more

#51 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

I think it should be

Ballard-Tanev

for 60 minutes.

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#52 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well deserved. This guy is a beauty

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#53 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

if he can help edler focus on his game then perfect
Posted Image

#54 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,626 posts

Probably not a good sign that the youngest defenceman in the lineup looks like the safest at the moment. <_<

Tanev keeps it simple, makes the high percentage play. How many times do you see Tanev skating back franticly/getting burned? None. The other guys? Lots.

Edler and Tanev are both really smart players. Probably going to be a good pairing.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#55 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I don't know about putting Ballard on the right side again. We've seen an awful lot of that over the past two years and it hasn't been pretty.

I'm thinking MG better start looking around for a righty and trade Ballard before the deadline. Ballard has played well and has increased his value substantially. I like him a lot, but it seems we have a group of Dmen that simply cannot play their opposite side. I know we have Corrado coming up, but he won't be ready for at least a year. Get 'er done, Mike!

#56 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Probably not a good sign that the youngest defenceman in the lineup looks like the safest at the moment. <_<

Tanev keeps it simple, makes the high percentage play. How many times do you see Tanev skating back franticly/getting burned? None. The other guys? Lots.

Edler and Tanev are both really smart players. Probably going to be a good pairing.

I agree about Tanev being a smart player but Edler seems like a dumb player to me.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#57 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Garisson is probably relieved right now, I feel sorry for Tanev.

#58 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

The way I read that tweet, Garrison is in the right side, no?

I agree with billabong. This is a good opportunity for Garrison to play right side as that's where he will end up eventually.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#59 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I like the idea of Tanev getting promoted... I don't like the idea of messing with his chemistry with Ballard. I'm also not totally sure Tanev is experienced enough to make up for all of Edler's gaffes... I guess Ballard (moreso last year) has his defensive moments too and Tanev backed him up, so we'll see.

Hopefully Tanev will be what Hamhuis is to Bieksa and they can be an effective pairing.

#60 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Feel bad for Ballard now, Garrison and his play are going to put Ballard back in AV doghouse. Garrison pick up your game and take some power skating sessions, he skates like he is stuck in quicksand...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.