129 replies to this topic

#61 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Interesting. But if Edler's stil eating shutdown mins, even Tanev can't help him.

Hopefully Hamhuis-Bieksa will be back to the shutdown pair, Edler-Tanev can play a secondary role and they can shelter Ballard-Garry. Anyone know who's going to play on their offside for the bottom pairing?

I like the pairings, mainly I like the top 4 guys. Solid.

#62 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Tanev and Ballard have been the team's best defensemen this year. Both have been reliable defensively; hopefully Ballard's speed and puck-moving ability will complement Garrison's style while Tanev's poise will complement Edler's approach.

Edited by WeatherWise, 20 February 2013 - 03:02 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#63 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,093 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Feel bad for Ballard now, Garrison and his play are going to put Ballard back in AV doghouse. Garrison pick up your game and take some power skating sessions, he skates like he is stuck in quicksand...

He shouldn't flop his tongues so hard. Maybe they're dragging him into the ground.
Posted Image

#64 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Had to move edler over to his other side sucks for ballard kinda but he and garrison might be a nice combo if ballard is rushibg the puck up and garr is getting some one timers as he enters the zone. I want to see a garrison onetimer just so he remembers he can do it again!
linden Vey Sig

#65 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,293 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I don't know about putting Ballard on the right side again. We've seen an awful lot of that over the past two years and it hasn't been pretty.

I'm thinking MG better start looking around for a righty and trade Ballard before the deadline. Ballard has played well and has increased his value substantially. I like him a lot, but it seems we have a group of Dmen that simply cannot play their opposite side. I know we have Corrado coming up, but he won't be ready for at least a year. Get 'er done, Mike!

I agree, MG needs to actually start getting players for the postions where we are lacking. I didn't know that Garrison played on the left side when we obtained by why on earth would MG not have gotten a defender that plays on the right side?

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#66 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Great to see Gillis spending $8.6M for his 3rd D pairing.
Maybe stop picking up Florida's outcast MG, there's a thing called a cap.

Hopefully Garrison picks it up, as he is by far the worst dman on the team right now. Plays the game like a caveman, slow and chopping sticks everywhere. More physicality from him would be nice as well considering how big he is
(Malik 2.0?)

#67 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I don't think splitting up Ballard and Tanev is a good idea. They've been our best pairing so far.

That. Or Ballard and Tanev are universal recipients and could stablize with any partner resulting in 2 new good lines. Only time will tell

#68 RIP Ripper

RIP Ripper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I think anything is worth a try right now,although it does seem a shame to split up Ballard and Tanev...Ballard is finally playing with a lot of confidence.

Off the topic a bit..what's happened to Dan Hamhuis?..He has been playing really 'out of character',he usually plays a fairly dependable conservative game.Not so much this season.

Damn, I'm getting tired of people raining on Hamhuis. His stats are off (+/-) because he is continually having to try to cover for Edler's total lack of competence. Edler has been awful and Hamhuis has suffered. As soon as one part of the system (Edler) breaks down, the rest of the guys are left to try and cover. I am so happy for Hamhuis that he is no longer paired with Edler. I feel real bad for Tanev although with his strictly defense mentality hopefully he will compliment Edler's no defence mentality.

#69 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Way to go Chris! He's not perfect and still young but I love his steadiness.

Posted Image

#70 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I hope garrison is just struggling with the transistion from a terrible hockey market to a Canadian hockey market, don't wanna pay that money for the next 5 years for a player playing the way he has this year this far, he has proven he can play great hockey in the past so hope he can get a handle on that again

#71 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hammer - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Ballard - Garrison

or alternatively

Shutdown/Puckmover - Offensive/Physical
Offensive/Physical - Shutdown/Puckmover
Physical/Puckmover - Offensive/Shutdown

I like.

#72 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

so we are now paying our third D pairing 8.8mil..

You are?? Wow, I wish I could afford that!! Who cares. I remember when I was a kid, the game wasnt so focused on how much the players made. I loved the game. Then the game became all about money. (Thank you Yashin and Fedorov!) I started getting nick picky about money...I didnt love the game as much anymore. I recently started to not care about who makes what. I am not physically paying the players. I trust Gillis, hes managed the teams money well. I stopped and started just watching hockey again. Boom, I love it again.

Who cares how much these guys are making?? I mean really ? We arent the owners? Just watch hockey. Its amazing how different you view the game when you stop thinking about their salary!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#73 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I bet you guys my house by the end of the year you will be like OMG Garrison is the best signing ever!! I remember all the hate on Ballard. Now you guys are saying that you feel sorry for him cuz hes got Garrison??

It seems like everyone that comes from Flordia always struggles. Give Garrison time. He needs to adjust thats all. For some reason the West coast seems to be difficult to switch too, and the east coast is much easier to switch over too..Have you noticed?? That if a player gets traded to a western team from an Eastern team, they usually struggle?? And if a western player goes to the east the usually excel?? Tells me something about the type of hockey we play on the west!
Life is short, LIVE IT

#74 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I hope Ballard's play doesn't suffer from the switch, and that Garrison finds his game again.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#75 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

What was wrong with.

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Why does AV constantly change lines and then seems surprised when player's drop their form.

That's his job. This is pro hockey. You don't have the time to wait for players to work out their demons and find chemistry. The last few games our D has looked porous at best, however, they are still crucial to our offensive success as well. AV is switching things up to try and find combinations to make these defensemen successful. In this case he is trying to find a better fit for Garrison and Edler who are clearly struggling with their defensive coverage. He is also going back to Hamhuis and Bieksa that worked well to bring out the best in Bieksa. Tanev should be good for backing up Edler.

Ice time and promotion/demotion up and down the lineup is the one tool the coach has to send a clear message. I'd be more worried by a coaching "settling" for a line-up and sticking with it through thick & thin.

If Av doesn't do this does Burrows ever get matched with the Sedins? Does Hamhuis & Juice ever get matched?

Sometimes lines and D-pairs get too comfortable and complacent, a little shake-up and some change can spark ther game or have them pick it up to return to their usual spot in the line-up.
Posted Image

#76 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hah; I've been calling for these pairings since we first signed Garrison.

I'm not sure it's a full promotion; I would see Tanev as being a steady guy to compliment Edler, but also let Edler play on the left side. Part of AV's dilemna is he has yet to find which of his four left side guys is effective on the right. But I also see it as an extension of the specialty roles AV imparts. IE Twins get extensive O'zone starts. Well this would make sense if Tanev/Edler get predominantly offensive shifts at the same time as the Twins, and his passing and speed would compliment the puck movement that seems to follow.

It also leaves Hamhuis/Bieksa and Ballard / Garrison to concentrate on defensive match ups. Which is good, as Tanev is steady, but small if he has to take on big match up's which he could be shielded against here! Ballard / Garrison BTW is an awsome combination of size and speed! Garrison being primarily a shut down guy (who can chip in with a big shot) should get Ballard finally the chance to really use his speed!

My only hope is he plays Garrison on the right side of this tandem, as he did in Florida, not Ballard who has always been uncomfortable there!

Anyway; I called for these pairings, lets see if I have any smarts at all? :shock: :bigblush: :shock:

I expect to see Edler / Tanev on all top O zone opportinuities.
Hamhuis / Bieksa against all top match ups.
Ballard /Garrison to fill in any secondary draws; offensive or defensive.

And we roll Three pairs!

@VanCanucks: D: 2-3. 23-8. 4-5. 41-18. #Canucks

@sportsnetmurph: #canucks new D-pairs: hamhuis-Bieksa / Edler-Tanev, Garrison-Ballard.

#77 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think this is an interesting experiment to see if Tanev can play top 4 minutes which could make another defenseman potentially expendable in a trade.There are plenty of teams out there that could use our 5th or 6th D-man for top 4 Minutes on their squad.
Posted Image

#78 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

PLEASE NOT BALLARD ON RIGHT SIDE

we went through this already...
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#79 cammy

cammy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Because that's what AV does when he doesn't know what else to do. He juggles lines over and over and over. Instead of letting players play through their issues and continue to build chemistry, he juggles lines.

Remember when Kes and Bur were an amazing shutdown pairing on the 3rd line, Av juggled the lines and was much derrided for splitting up a fantastic pair and moved Bur to the 1st with the sedins and the rest is history.

you have to switch things up to keep things fresh, and so that players can play the style of the game wanted not just with certain players, becuase when an injury happens if they rely on the other player your screwed.

hopefully this will give edler a calming prescense on his line while having ballard to stabilise garrison, we should hopefully get 2 good lines out of this switch up.

Still think we are carrying to much cap spread around the d, could have a solid veteran on a low cap hit, to free up space for a bonifide no1 d-man

#80 cammy

cammy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hah; I've been calling for these pairings since we first signed Garrison.

I'm not sure it's a full promotion; I would see Tanev as being a steady guy to compliment Edler, but also let Edler play on the left side. Part of AV's dilemna is he has yet to find which of his four left side guys is effective on the right. But I also see it as an extension of the specialty roles AV imparts. IE Twins get extensive O'zone starts. Well this would make sense if Tanev/Edler get predominantly offensive shifts at the same time as the Twins, and his passing and speed would compliment the puck movement that seems to follow.

It also leaves Hamhuis/Bieksa and Ballard / Garrison to concentrate on defensive match ups. Which is good, as Tanev is steady, but small if he has to take on big match up's which he could be shielded against here! Ballard / Garrison BTW is an awsome combination of size and speed! Garrison being primarily a shut down guy (who can chip in with a big shot) should get Ballard finally the chance to really use his speed!

My only hope is he plays Garrison on the right side of this tandem, as he did in Florida, not Ballard who has always been uncomfortable there!

Anyway; I called for these pairings, lets see if I have any smarts at all? :shock: :bigblush: :shock:

I expect to see Edler / Tanev on all top O zone opportinuities.
Hamhuis / Bieksa against all top match ups.
Ballard /Garrison to fill in any secondary draws; offensive or defensive.

And we roll Three pairs!

+1 for this. I think this will work, and allows tanev to develop with more mins, but also shields him against unfavorable match ups, and means edler can go on his natural side

#81 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

The new Edler-Tanev pairing is for even strength minutes only. No way Tanev gets PP TOI, or an increase in SH TOI (even thought I think he should).

Currently, there's about a 1.5 min difference in even strength minutes played between Tanev and Edler. So it's not like Tanevs suddenly going to play 20 mins a night, he'll prob get 17-18 maybe. I still think it's a good move by the coaching staff - anyone with Tanev is a good move IMO.

But has anyone heard which of Garrison or Ballard will be playing on their offside?

#82 EagleShield

EagleShield

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Can we give Barker a shot already? Garrison has been terrible.

#83 Ronning4center

Ronning4center

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

2 thumbs up.   Edler is probably relieved like hell right now.  I feel sorry for Ballard.

Don't misread this decision.....I believe the move was made to get garison going. Ballards play has been stellar of late...he can move the puck up ice and begin setting up Garison for the one timers....in truth...this was a Ballard promotion. The club is showing faith in him.As for edler...he needed a stronger stay at home presense....hes been just awful.

#84 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Edler and garrison were wrong with that

Well then MG made a mistake. We didn't get a replacement for Sammy we hired a problem.
Kevin.jpg

#85 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Great read by an advanced stat guy on the Canucks d-men. Basically, he says chill out, esp about Garrison: http://blog.playnow....fensive-issues/

Kevin Woodley@KevinisInGoal

Talked to Garrison b4 trip, said system + where guys are in it is v. different, still thinking about where to move puck, not instinctual yet

Sounds like Garrisons still getting used the the Canucks system. Not surprising, it always takes players a while to adjust to this system - it took the Wolves a LONG time.

Edited by RunningWild, 20 February 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#86 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't think splitting up Ballard and Tanev is a good idea. They've been our best pairing so far.

Edler needs Tanev's help.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 20 February 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#87 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think anything is worth a try right now,although it does seem a shame to split up Ballard and Tanev...Ballard is finally playing with a lot of confidence.

Off the topic a bit..what's happened to Dan Hamhuis?..He has been playing really 'out of character',he usually plays a fairly dependable conservative game.Not so much this season.

Hamhuis was horrible at the start of season, he looked out of shape and recently being paired with a liability like Edler is snake eyes for Hamhuis.

Can we give Barker a shot already? Garrison has been terrible.

our TOP 4 deserves a few nights off so they can think about how bad the view is from the press box, i'm all for getting Barker and Alberts some game time, they wont be any worse than our TOP 4 has been.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#88 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I agree, MG needs to actually start getting players for the postions where we are lacking. I didn't know that Garrison played on the left side when we obtained by why on earth would MG not have gotten a defender that plays on the right side?

Because it's the canucks, we don't do normal things like that.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#89 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,989 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

What was wrong with.

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev

Why does AV constantly change lines and then seems surprised when player's drop their form.

I know right? I don't get these juggling lines back and forth. Why not just run these lines and build some chemistry. You're not creating chemistry when you're constantly changing your mind.

307mg00.jpg

#90 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Lol they should slot in Vandermeer, Barker and Alberts next game and let Hamhuis,Bieksa and Edler sit for a game so they can get a wake up call.

Who cares if we lose a game atleast it sends a message for the rest of the season.

Ballard-Tanev
Garrison-Barker
Vandermeer-Alberts

We would get destroyed but it would be funny to watch, lots of fights probably.

If we won.....then those 3 will really realize how terrible they are playing.

:emot-parrot:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.