The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev promoted

mbal23

Interesting. But if Edler's stil eating shutdown mins, even Tanev can't help him.

Hopefully Hamhuis-Bieksa will be back to the shutdown pair, Edler-Tanev can play a secondary role and they can shelter Ballard-Garry. Anyone know who's going to play on their offside for the bottom pairing?

I like the pairings, mainly I like the top 4 guys. Solid.

Had to move edler over to his other side sucks for ballard kinda but he and garrison might be a nice combo if ballard is rushibg the puck up and garr is getting some one timers as he enters the zone. I want to see a garrison onetimer just so he remembers he can do it again!

I don't know about putting Ballard on the right side again. We've seen an awful lot of that over the past two years and it hasn't been pretty.

I'm thinking MG better start looking around for a righty and trade Ballard before the deadline. Ballard has played well and has increased his value substantially. I like him a lot, but it seems we have a group of Dmen that simply cannot play their opposite side. I know we have Corrado coming up, but he won't be ready for at least a year. Get 'er done, Mike!

Great to see Gillis spending $8.6M for his 3rd D pairing.

Maybe stop picking up Florida's outcast MG, there's a thing called a cap.

Hopefully Garrison picks it up, as he is by far the worst dman on the team right now. Plays the game like a caveman, slow and chopping sticks everywhere. More physicality from him would be nice as well considering how big he is

(Malik 2.0?)

I think anything is worth a try right now,although it does seem a shame to split up Ballard and Tanev...Ballard is finally playing with a lot of confidence.

Off the topic a bit..what's happened to Dan Hamhuis?..He has been playing really 'out of character',he usually plays a fairly dependable conservative game.Not so much this season.

I hope garrison is just struggling with the transistion from a terrible hockey market to a Canadian hockey market, don't wanna pay that money for the next 5 years for a player playing the way he has this year this far, he has proven he can play great hockey in the past so hope he can get a handle on that again

I bet you guys my house by the end of the year you will be like OMG Garrison is the best signing ever!! I remember all the hate on Ballard. Now you guys are saying that you feel sorry for him cuz hes got Garrison??

It seems like everyone that comes from Flordia always struggles. Give Garrison time. He needs to adjust thats all. For some reason the West coast seems to be difficult to switch too, and the east coast is much easier to switch over too..Have you noticed?? That if a player gets traded to a western team from an Eastern team, they usually struggle?? And if a western player goes to the east the usually excel?? Tells me something about the type of hockey we play on the west!

Hah; I've been calling for these pairings since we first signed Garrison.

I'm not sure it's a full promotion; I would see Tanev as being a steady guy to compliment Edler, but also let Edler play on the left side. Part of AV's dilemna is he has yet to find which of his four left side guys is effective on the right. But I also see it as an extension of the specialty roles AV imparts. IE Twins get extensive O'zone starts. Well this would make sense if Tanev/Edler get predominantly offensive shifts at the same time as the Twins, and his passing and speed would compliment the puck movement that seems to follow.

It also leaves Hamhuis/Bieksa and Ballard / Garrison to concentrate on defensive match ups. Which is good, as Tanev is steady, but small if he has to take on big match up's which he could be shielded against here! Ballard / Garrison BTW is an awsome combination of size and speed! Garrison being primarily a shut down guy (who can chip in with a big shot) should get Ballard finally the chance to really use his speed!

My only hope is he plays Garrison on the right side of this tandem, as he did in Florida, not Ballard who has always been uncomfortable there!

Anyway; I called for these pairings, lets see if I have any smarts at all? :shock::bigblush::shock:

I expect to see Edler / Tanev on all top O zone opportinuities.

Hamhuis / Bieksa against all top match ups.

Ballard /Garrison to fill in any secondary draws; offensive or defensive.

And we roll Three pairs!

@VanCanucks: D: 2-3. 23-8. 4-5. 41-18. #Canucks

@sportsnetmurph: #canucks new D-pairs: hamhuis-Bieksa / Edler-Tanev, Garrison-Ballard.

I think this is an interesting experiment to see if Tanev can play top 4 minutes which could make another defenseman potentially expendable in a trade.There are plenty of teams out there that could use our 5th or 6th D-man for top 4 Minutes on their squad.

Because that's what AV does when he doesn't know what else to do. He juggles lines over and over and over. Instead of letting players play through their issues and continue to build chemistry, he juggles lines.

Hah; I've been calling for these pairings since we first signed Garrison.

I'm not sure it's a full promotion; I would see Tanev as being a steady guy to compliment Edler, but also let Edler play on the left side. Part of AV's dilemna is he has yet to find which of his four left side guys is effective on the right. But I also see it as an extension of the specialty roles AV imparts. IE Twins get extensive O'zone starts. Well this would make sense if Tanev/Edler get predominantly offensive shifts at the same time as the Twins, and his passing and speed would compliment the puck movement that seems to follow.

It also leaves Hamhuis/Bieksa and Ballard / Garrison to concentrate on defensive match ups. Which is good, as Tanev is steady, but small if he has to take on big match up's which he could be shielded against here! Ballard / Garrison BTW is an awsome combination of size and speed! Garrison being primarily a shut down guy (who can chip in with a big shot) should get Ballard finally the chance to really use his speed!

My only hope is he plays Garrison on the right side of this tandem, as he did in Florida, not Ballard who has always been uncomfortable there!

Anyway; I called for these pairings, lets see if I have any smarts at all? :shock::bigblush::shock:

I expect to see Edler / Tanev on all top O zone opportinuities.

Hamhuis / Bieksa against all top match ups.

Ballard /Garrison to fill in any secondary draws; offensive or defensive.

And we roll Three pairs!

The new Edler-Tanev pairing is for even strength minutes only. No way Tanev gets PP TOI, or an increase in SH TOI (even thought I think he should).

Currently, there's about a 1.5 min difference in even strength minutes played between Tanev and Edler. So it's not like Tanevs suddenly going to play 20 mins a night, he'll prob get 17-18 maybe. I still think it's a good move by the coaching staff - anyone with Tanev is a good move IMO.

But has anyone heard which of Garrison or Ballard will be playing on their offside?

Archived