129 replies to this topic

#91 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

So when two players are playing well together you split them up because they are playing well? Not sure I understand this one but it may work fine in the end.

#92 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Was hoping for this line-up on the PP. Not sure how this will go, Ballard is a vocal guy and needs a partner who can communicate back. This pairing's performance will depend solely on how well they can communicate and make D to D passes. I feel sorry for Tanev, he is going to be put in so many rough situations it's not even funny.
Posted Image

#93 NotaSmartMan

NotaSmartMan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

So when two players are playing well together you split them up because they are playing well? Not sure I understand this one but it may work fine in the end.

When your two other pairs are failing miserably, you gotta shake it up somehow.

mv69pvh.png

I miss Jennaaaayyy.

#94 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

That's his job. This is pro hockey. You don't have the time to wait for players to work out their demons and find chemistry. The last few games our D has looked porous at best, however, they are still crucial to our offensive success as well. AV is switching things up to try and find combinations to make these defensemen successful. In this case he is trying to find a better fit for Garrison and Edler who are clearly struggling with their defensive coverage. He is also going back to Hamhuis and Bieksa that worked well to bring out the best in Bieksa. Tanev should be good for backing up Edler.

Ice time and promotion/demotion up and down the lineup is the one tool the coach has to send a clear message. I'd be more worried by a coaching "settling" for a line-up and sticking with it through thick & thin.

If Av doesn't do this does Burrows ever get matched with the Sedins? Does Hamhuis & Juice ever get matched?

Sometimes lines and D-pairs get too comfortable and complacent, a little shake-up and some change can spark ther game or have them pick it up to return to their usual spot in the line-up.

Enjoyed this response, and Cammers follow up response.

With a shortened season, its prudent that the coach(s) try different pairtings.

I mentioned in another thread that its a shame Bally/Tanev were playing so well. Thought the Eddy could settle in nicer with someone like Tanev to his right, just like how Salo was used with Eddy.

I think Eddy is still not quite used to the "heavy minutes" he had been getting. Eventually he will. As he did last season with his new role slotting into Ehrhoff's vacant role. He ran away with the assignment.

As noted by Baggins, both Bally and Tanev have been given more minutes. And that can only help the rest of the d-corps with ice time management.

Bones knows his guys, save for Garry, so hopefully his plan will play out by design.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#95 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,787 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hamhuis was horrible at the start of season, he looked out of shape and recently being paired with a liability like Edler is snake eyes for Hamhuis.

our TOP 4 deserves a few nights off so they can think about how bad the view is from the press box, i'm all for getting Barker and Alberts some game time, they wont be any worse than our TOP 4 has been.

Have you seen Barker play? He's a depth guy, and not a really good one at that. Him at his best is no better than Garrison at his worst.

zuhwS.gif

#96 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

about freaking time Edler gets to play on the left side again.

TOOK LONG ENOUGH COACH

#97 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

It says in the paper Ballards being used on the right side of that pairing. Should be interesting as we've seen this dance before....

#98 clutesi

clutesi

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Tanev & Ballard have been our best D line, Danny H has played well but not with his mate.

I have a feeling Tanev & anyone will be our best D line. The kid is money.

#99 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have a feeling Tanev & anyone will be our best D line. The kid is money.

Just call up Barker or Vandermeer. I'm sure we'll win most games with the new pairing.
Posted Image

#100 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Your right but I would start by mixing the pairs that needed the mixing, no?

#101 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I was saying this since Game 1.

Edler needs a calming influence since Salo left, that influence is Tanev. Honestly Edler deserves his services more than Ballard.
Bieksa and Hamhuis have great chemistry, why bother breaking them up?
Garrison and Ballard were in Florida together, they play a similar mobile sort of way so maybe they'll understand each other well.

This way on offence we also have 1 designated shooter and 1 designated set up man, so only need 1 one-timer. Edler, Bieksa and Garrison are the shooters.
Posted Image

#102 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Edler-Tanev should be the 3rd pairing.

Edler can still get in on the PP, but for now this seems like a good choice. His lack of defense has been a definite concern lately, he is supposed to an offensive defenseman (I know) but he has been making far too many mistakes lately. Garrison-Ballard will make for an interesting pairing, so far we have tried Garrison with everyone but maybe Hamhuis... Let's see if this one will work out! B)

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 20 February 2013 - 09:26 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#103 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I really hope this doesn't mess up Ballard. Garrison has been pretty weak so far though, so he should be on the third line

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#104 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Love Tanev, he was great last year with hamhuis down the stretch 16 games they went without getting scored on. Unfortunately in that time edler and bieksa got scored on a lot. Well deserved for him. hopefully that third pairing can stay afloat.

That's because nobody can play with Edler - not Hamhuis (last year's co best D), not Garrison (one of the best defensive D's in the league + plus a breakout offensive year last year), not Bieksa, and soon we'll discover, not Tanev. After the coaches discover that, it's not just because he is playing on his off side, they will finally bench the right guy for his selfish, nervous play - or send Tanev to the sidelines and try Conner. Edler shouldn't have taken all that money, now he feels the enormous weight of expectations. It has ruined a lot of players with big contracts.

#105 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I bet gillis is kicking himself for not telling Schultz that he could have top 4 mins and pp time.

#106 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I like that Tanev, maybe the steadiest, most unheralded defenseman for the Canucks this season, gets a chance on the top pairing with Edler, and I'm glad the minute munching shutdown pair of Hamhuis and Bieksa is back together.

All in all, these are good little switch-ups. Can't wait to see how they look in the game tomorrow.

#107 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Watch Edler improve immensely now that he's on his natural side, too.

#108 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Way to break up our best d pairing this season AV

Good job

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#109 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Way to break up our best d pairing this season AV

Good job

We can't have one good pairing and two pairings that don't work. We're not gonna win games like that.

Something had to change.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#110 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

We can't have one good pairing and two pairings that don't work. We're not gonna win games like that.

Something had to change.

Exactly. If this works out. We're a MUCH better team. Elder simply being on his natural side should improve things for him

Zf3XIDB.png

Sig by: Samuel Påhlsson

#111 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,691 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I bet gillis is kicking himself for not telling Schultz that he could have top 4 mins and pp time.

What makes you think he didn't do this?

Move on. Shultz is a punk kid anyways. WE don't need guys like that on the team. Punks that lie.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#112 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

More like, Garrison was DEmoted!

#113 Elliot

Elliot

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

For everyone that is harping on Coach V, is it not Rick Bowness that handles the defence? So wouldn't he be responsible for the defensive pairings? Or does Alain handle that as well? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
Posted Image

#114 Burr+Kes

Burr+Kes

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

An interesting stat for anyone who likes this sort of thing; the Canucks are currently the only team in the NHL who have dressed the same 6 defenseman during every game this season.

#115 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

If anybody should be demoted, it's Bieksa. He's constantly going up into the rush and making poor turnovers.

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

#116 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

I bet you guys my house by the end of the year you will be like OMG Garrison is the best signing ever!! I remember all the hate on Ballard. Now you guys are saying that you feel sorry for him cuz hes got Garrison??

It seems like everyone that comes from Flordia always struggles. Give Garrison time. He needs to adjust thats all. For some reason the West coast seems to be difficult to switch too, and the east coast is much easier to switch over too..Have you noticed?? That if a player gets traded to a western team from an Eastern team, they usually struggle?? And if a western player goes to the east the usually excel?? Tells me something about the type of hockey we play on the west!

It's because the Eastern conference is in many ways easier, especially for a d man. More failings are simply forgiven. Look at how top eastern team play d and it's absolutely appalling to a Canucks fan. I actually find certain teams unwatchable because they just swat the puck back and forth, dump in, rush the puck or shoot at a useless angle and lose possession. And the breakdowns are constant. Meanwhile offensive players with a bit of talent FLY around players like pylons and look super badass.

Keswho.jpg

#117 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

So you do a "salt'n shake and voila!...........you have 3 lines playing garbage and another young rookie left scratching his head wondering where he went wrong.

I don't agree with team selection via taro cards.

What's wrong with more practice and attempting to build up their understanding of each other's play?

Edited by Bodee, 21 February 2013 - 05:52 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#118 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

So you do a "salt'n shake and voila!...........you have 3 lines playing garbage and another young rookie left scratching his head wondering where he went wrong.

OR, a shake up does them good and our D-men start playing the standard of hockey that their salary suggests they should. You won't know until you try mixing it up a bit.

If it's a disaster, then fair enough. Revert back to the Tanev-Ballard pairing. But you can't just say it won't work without even seeing it on the ice. How do we know that Tanev won't develop good chemistry with someone else?

#119 cammy

cammy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

again to my earlier point, you cannot just shake up the bad with the bad.

Like when Kesler and Burrows & Hanson (I believe that year) were split up - there were phenomenal and doing everything right, however the Sedins were in a slump and the second line wasn't clicking. The successful 3rd line was broke up and this got everything going again as these guys were on fire and able to bring this impetus to their new lines.

Just like this the d pairings need to be shaken up - the Edler on the right experiment has not worked, something needs to change and just swiching up the pairings to somethign liek hammer and garrioson, juice & edler will not cut it.

#120 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

You guys misinterpreted that. Edler has been DEmoted.

Nah its Garrison thats been "DEmoted"
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.