Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Lindy Ruff fired in Buffalo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#31 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

This seems like a reasonable plan, assuming he doesn't get snatched up (surely there will be more coaching changes this season?).

If you are Ruff, will there be better Cup contenders with coaching vacancies than Vancouver?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#32 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

AV>Lindy

AV got to game 7.

Posted Image

Foot in the crease, illegal goal (at the time).

Edited by Millerdraft, 20 February 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#33 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Posted Image

Foot in the crease, illegal goal (at the time).

So, why didn't he win next year and the year after and the year after and the year after and on and on and on and on? Tell me, oh Oracle.
Posted Image

#34 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

So, why didn't he win next year and the year after and the year after and the year after and on and on and on and on? Tell me, oh Oracle.

The same can be asked of Mike Babcock. After all he had Niklas Lidstrom, arguably the 2nd best defenceman of all time, for seven years. Is he a bad coach too?

#35 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

He didn't have a great lineup for most of his tenure, especially post-Hasek. He still made due and made semi-competitive teams with what he had. Buffalo made it the Conference finals a few times too, something Vancouver only does when they go to the Cup finals.

Edited by C00KIES, 20 February 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#36 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Could Florida be looking for a new coach? Even Philly might be willing if they continue to struggle this season.

Laviolette is just what this team needs.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#37 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

That team completely lacked offense and, overall, was comprised of very average players aside from Dominik Hasek. They were heavy underdogs throughout the playoffs, and their Stanley Cup run could be attributed to two things: goaltending and coaching. The team's greatest offensive player was Miroslav Satan, who only scored 66 points that year. Behind him -- Mike Peca (56 points), Michal Grosek (50 points) and Curtis Brown (47 points). The team was average, and only made the Finals because of Ruff and Hasek. In the playoffs, no player scored over 15 points in their 21 playoff games. Despite the lack of scoring, the team went 37-28-17 that year in the regular season. The year before that, the team reached the Eastern Conference Finals with a similarly mediocre roster. That year, 1997-98, the team's top scorer, Satan, led the team in scoring with 46 points.

AV has the luxury of coaching one of the most gifted, complete rosters this franchise has ever had.

Edited by WeatherWise, 20 February 2013 - 02:53 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#38 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

That team completely lacked offense and, overall, was comprised of very average players aside from Dominik Hasek. They were heavy underdogs throughout the playoffs, and their Stanley Cup run could be attributed to two things: goaltending and coaching. The team's greatest offensive player was Miroslav Satan, who only scored 66 points that year. Behind him -- Mike Peca (56 points), Michal Grosek (50 points) and Curtis Brown (47 points). The team was average, and only made the Finals because of Ruff and Hasek. In the playoffs, no player scored over 15 points in their 21 playoff games. Despite the lack of scoring, the team went 37-28-17 that year in the regular season. The year before that, the team reached theEasternConference Finals with a similarly mediocre roster. That year, 1997-98, the team's top scorer, Satan, led the team in scoring with 46 points.

AV has the luxury of coaching one of the most gifted, complete rosters this franchise has ever had.

I fully agree with this. We have great talent, but the system seems to be lacking. It's a minor risk in that Ruff could be the Curtis Joseph of coaching (hopefully everyone gets this reference).

Edit: fixed.

Edited by C00KIES, 20 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

#39 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just a minor oops that I fixed.

I fully agree with this. We have great talent, but the system seems to be lacking. It's a minor risk in that Ruff could be the Curtis Joseph of coaching (hopefully everyone gets this reference).

Appreciated! Also keep in mind the 2005-07 editions of the Buffalo Sabres were one of the most successful teams in the league at the time. They should have arguably been in the Stanley Cup Finals at least once during that period. The 2006-07 team had a record of 53-22-7 during the regular season and won the President's Trophy that year.

Edited by WeatherWise, 20 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#40 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Scott Arniel was an associate coach of Ruff's for awhile there. Better synergy between AHL & NHL?

#41 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Appreciated! Also keep in mind the 2005-07 editions of the Buffalo Sabres were one of the most successful teams in the league at the time. They should have arguably been in the Stanley Cup Finals at least once during that period.

The blueline bug. You know you're in deep trouble when you're forced to play Doug Janik in an elimination game.

#42 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

I think it's BS too bad they can't Fire Miller he is why they are sucking, can't coach good goaltending

Really? Not the fact that Buffalo has a HORRENDOUS defensive system? Like when Errorhoff is your #1 SHUT DOWN defenseman....

#43 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Really? Not the fact that Buffalo has a HORRENDOUS defensive system? Like when Errorhoff is your #1 SHUT DOWN defenseman....

I haven't been able to watch as many Sabres games as I would have, but I'd imagine Myers or Regehr would be the team's top shutdown defenseman. Ehrhoff has always been a puck-moving defenseman whose primary objective is to generate offense. In fact, he has 10 points in 16 games -- more than twice the amount scored by any of the team's other defensemen. He and Alex Sulzer are both +4 while Leopold and Myers are both -7.

It seems like an instance of Tyler Myers' underperforming that has caused the team to rely on Ehrhoff more heavily.

Edited by WeatherWise, 20 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#44 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have a feeling EDM will snag Ruff... which sucks, because great coaches like that arnt available often :(

#45 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I have a feeling EDM will snag Ruff... which sucks, because great coaches like that arnt available often :(

This is a good opportunity for the Blue Jackets to replace Todd Richards. I'm sure both President John Davidson and GM Jarmo Kekalainen would want this to be their first major move in rebuilding the franchise.

#46 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Trade Miller to Vancouver. We let Schneider have fresh start in Buffalo. Win-win. Solid goaltending in Vancouver and good start for Schneider.

lol Miller is and will always be overrated.

No thank you!

#47 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

@BNHarrington
Darcy says RON ROLSTON NAMED INTERIM HEAD COACH.

Edited by JimLahey, 20 February 2013 - 03:28 PM.

NKQdh7b.jpg

#48 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

@BNHarrington
Darcy says RON ROLSTON NAMED INTERIM HEAD COACH.

Rolston was the coach of the Sabres' AHL affiliate, the Rochester Americans, over the past two seasons. Before that, he has a great deal of university-level coaching experience dating back to 1990. It will be interesting to see if they keep him as their head coach beyond this season.

He's also the older brother of Brian Rolston. Though he's only 46 years old, he has a ton of coaching experience. He coached Doug Weight as an assistant before the latter joined the NHL.

Edited by WeatherWise, 20 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#49 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

As soon as I saw the news I knew there would immediately be AV for LR proposals on CDC.

And hell, I like it. haha

Posted Image

#50 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Cody's dad didn't like the amount of ice time he got
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#51 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Grats Ryan Miller you got one of the most respected coaches in sports fired all due to your inability to stop the dam puck. So you threw your teamates under the bus earlier this week, now the coach what's next the fans??? owners??? How about shutting that whine dispensor you call a mouth and just play the dam game.

Such a terrible move by a team that didn't have any other option except to blame the coach. Change for the sake of change cuz dem changes are changing everything.

#52 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Wasn't Ruff the coach when Hasek took teh Sabres to the final?

(Honest question)

On topic; I watched the Buffalo Boston game a few days ago and two more a cpl weeks back. Vanek was definitely goal sulking; structure was gone! I'm not surprised they made a move!

Somebody else mentioned Kass might not be happy if he appeared here. Well Kass arrived here and the appropriate disciplines were requested and he ccame back in better shape. Kass was traded cuz he was starting to dissapoint. Ruff was not getting the most out of him either.

Maybe he was complacent after so many years and needs some time off to re-focus before a new gig?

AV>Lindy

AV got to game 7.

#53 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,130 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

This wreaks of self-preservation.
The problem in Buffalo imo is not coaching - the GM continues to assemble a patchwork team - next to Feaster, Regehr makes some of the most headscratching moves out there... Not sure how Ruff is supposed to be successful when he has to use a sophomore as his top line center, one of the smallest wingers in the nhl as his 2C.
Don't see how a coaching change makes up for Regehr's poor team building...

#54 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 7,139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wasn't Ruff the coach when Hasek took teh Sabres to the final?

(Honest question)

On topic; I watched the Buffalo Boston game a few days ago and two more a cpl weeks back. Vanek was definitely goal sulking; structure was gone! I'm not surprised they made a move!

Somebody else mentioned Kass might not be happy if he appeared here. Well Kass arrived here and the appropriate disciplines were requested and he ccame back in better shape. Kass was traded cuz he was starting to dissapoint. Ruff was not getting the most out of him either.

Maybe he was complacent after so many years and needs some time off to re-focus before a new gig?

Yes. If you saw the TSN package of his post game interviews and moments with Buffalo, you would see him say "No goal" in one, as a reference to the goal that won Dallas the Cup, even though Hull's foot was in the crease, a rule they emphasized that year.
Posted Image

#55 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

I wish we can get ruff here...

#56 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yeah your not wrong at all.

But the team also was not playing to a system any more; hallmark of a well coached team (normally a Ruff trademark).

This wreaks of self-preservation.
The problem in Buffalo imo is not coaching - the GM continues to assemble a patchwork team - next to Feaster, Regehr makes some of the most headscratching moves out there... Not sure how Ruff is supposed to be successful when he has to use a sophomore as his top line center, one of the smallest wingers in the nhl as his 2C.
Don't see how a coaching change makes up for Regehr's poor team building...

#57 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I heard they hired Ron Wilson at first....then It was obvious it was Ron Rolston. HAHAHA.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#58 ro0

ro0

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

He could have a job by the end of the season if he wants it.

Is she a dress wearer or a pants wearer? Could you share a rowboat? Could a rowboat support her? Would an average size rowboat support her without capsizing?

#59 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

What the real question on every bodies mind is if he'll be on the panel.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#60 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

With no other teams looking for a coach (most likely) before this year ends, I wonder if Ruff would be interested in anything he could get?

Chicago isn't that far from Buffalo... Arniel & him went to the ECF together and had a 67.1 win percentage in 2005-2006 (54-24-06).

Assistant to Arniel on the Wolves? Or vice-versa? If AV has an unsuccessful playoffs, bring those two up, if AV is not to blame, Ruff can look for another job next year a la Craig MacTavish.

Edit: Arniel has already coached: Raymond, Hansen, Schneider, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, along with some upcoming prospects like Connauton, Cannata, Lack & Sauve. So the transition wouldn't be that rough. He had an awesome record with Manitoba (181 - 106 - 33 if my math is correct) and is 24-20-3 with Chicago so far...

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 20 February 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.