The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lindy Ruff fired in Buffalo

hockeyville88

Grats Ryan Miller you got one of the most respected coaches in sports fired all due to your inability to stop the dam puck. So you threw your teamates under the bus earlier this week, now the coach what's next the fans??? owners??? How about shutting that whine dispensor you call a mouth and just play the dam game.

Such a terrible move by a team that didn't have any other option except to blame the coach. Change for the sake of change cuz dem changes are changing everything.

Wasn't Ruff the coach when Hasek took teh Sabres to the final?

(Honest question)

On topic; I watched the Buffalo Boston game a few days ago and two more a cpl weeks back. Vanek was definitely goal sulking; structure was gone! I'm not surprised they made a move!

Somebody else mentioned Kass might not be happy if he appeared here. Well Kass arrived here and the appropriate disciplines were requested and he ccame back in better shape. Kass was traded cuz he was starting to dissapoint. Ruff was not getting the most out of him either.

Maybe he was complacent after so many years and needs some time off to re-focus before a new gig?

AV>Lindy

AV got to game 7.

This wreaks of self-preservation.

The problem in Buffalo imo is not coaching - the GM continues to assemble a patchwork team - next to Feaster, Regehr makes some of the most headscratching moves out there... Not sure how Ruff is supposed to be successful when he has to use a sophomore as his top line center, one of the smallest wingers in the nhl as his 2C.

Don't see how a coaching change makes up for Regehr's poor team building...

Wasn't Ruff the coach when Hasek took teh Sabres to the final?

(Honest question)

On topic; I watched the Buffalo Boston game a few days ago and two more a cpl weeks back. Vanek was definitely goal sulking; structure was gone! I'm not surprised they made a move!

Somebody else mentioned Kass might not be happy if he appeared here. Well Kass arrived here and the appropriate disciplines were requested and he ccame back in better shape. Kass was traded cuz he was starting to dissapoint. Ruff was not getting the most out of him either.

Maybe he was complacent after so many years and needs some time off to re-focus before a new gig?

Yeah your not wrong at all.

But the team also was not playing to a system any more; hallmark of a well coached team (normally a Ruff trademark).

This wreaks of self-preservation.

The problem in Buffalo imo is not coaching - the GM continues to assemble a patchwork team - next to Feaster, Regehr makes some of the most headscratching moves out there... Not sure how Ruff is supposed to be successful when he has to use a sophomore as his top line center, one of the smallest wingers in the nhl as his 2C.

Don't see how a coaching change makes up for Regehr's poor team building...

With no other teams looking for a coach (most likely) before this year ends, I wonder if Ruff would be interested in anything he could get?

Chicago isn't that far from Buffalo... Arniel & him went to the ECF together and had a 67.1 win percentage in 2005-2006 (54-24-06).

Assistant to Arniel on the Wolves? Or vice-versa? If AV has an unsuccessful playoffs, bring those two up, if AV is not to blame, Ruff can look for another job next year a la Craig MacTavish.

Edit: Arniel has already coached: Raymond, Hansen, Schneider, Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, along with some upcoming prospects like Connauton, Cannata, Lack & Sauve. So the transition wouldn't be that rough. He had an awesome record with Manitoba (181 - 106 - 33 if my math is correct) and is 24-20-3 with Chicago so far...

You would have thought if Reghr was staying that Ruff would have been moved up somewhere in the Sabres org.

Someone mentioned whether AV would be safe if this year's team did not go deep in CUP play? AV - Bowness - Brown are the main coaches. What does coaching tell Gillis they need for a CUP winning team? Internal politics is a reality in any org. To me it appears that Gillis and AV are the leaders as their positions suggest. I don't see enough of Gillman to get a feeling. We should remember that Gillis has spent a lot of money broadening Van's management team and AV's opinion might not carry as much weight as it might have 3 years ago.

In any event Gillis does have to judge whether current coaching has the capacity to carry this roster to a CUP win. The clock never stops ticking on the Twins longevity. Their era of being the go to guys up front might only have another 2 seasons left.

WHile it is very true, AV's continual refrain, "It's a process", comes off as irritating and somewhat an excuse. This comment is probably very unfair.

Archived