The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo for a Top 4 RH Defenceman? [Discussion]

Provost

If things keep playing out like they have, it looks more like our biggest need is changing from a 3rd line centre to a top 4 RH defenceman (we still need an upgraded 3rd line centre to replace Schroeder for playoff hockey... but less than we need to solidify our defence).

The lineup for next game seems to have moved Tanev to the 2nd pairing with Edler and dropping Garrison down. I know Garrison is still catching up from injury and dealing with a new system, but why not put him in the best position to succeed on his own side of the ice.

It would mean also moving Ballard, which is a shame since he is finally getting his feet under him... but he is still #4 on the depth chart on the left side (especially since two of the guys above him and NTC and Edler just got extended and won't be traded). In the same deal or another deal I don't think we have a big problem moving Ballard considering how many teams are hurting for defence.

From rumoured trade partners, here are RH D who could be of interest

Washington:

John Carlson - would take something in addition to Luongo (maybe Ballard and Luongo for him and Beagle or Hendricks?)

Florida:

Gudbranson - we aren't getting him, almost no chance... so really no Florida options unless we can find a way to pry him out by overpaying. (Luongo+Schroeder+XXX+XXX for Gudbranson and Weiss or Matthias)

Anyone see other RH D options that we could swing a reasonable trade? Even in a non-Luongo deal?

I'm starting to see Petrovic as a centrepiece in a deal with Florida, and less of a throw in. He's a big 6'4 RH defenseman, with a mean streak. He's just in his first year pro now, and has looked tremendous with the SA Rampage, where he earned himself a call up earlier this season, but did not see any game time.

If Talon doesn't want to trade any of his top prospects (ie Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad), then would he consider a package of his very good secondary prospects?

I'm thinking:

FLA

Luongo

VAN

Petrovic

One of Trochek/Shore/Howden

2013 2nd rounder

This wouldn't give us immediate help, but gives us a number of options for next season with a declining cap.

I'm starting to see Petrovic as a centrepiece in a deal with Florida, and less of a throw in. He's a big 6'4 RH defenseman, with a mean streak. He's just in his first year pro now, and has looked tremendous with the SA Rampage, where he earned himself a call up earlier this season, but did not see any game time.

If Talon doesn't want to trade any of his top prospects (ie Huberdeau, Gudbranson, Bjugstad), then would he consider a package of his very good secondary prospects?

I'm thinking:

FLA

Luongo

VAN

Petrovic

One of Trochek/Shore/Howden

2013 2nd rounder

This wouldn't give us immediate help, but gives us a number of options for next season with a declining cap.

Seems like a waste to me, unless we package one of our existing top-5 defencemen and get a forward in return as well.

For example, Luongo and Garrison for Carlson and Johansen.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Booth

Raymond - Johansen - Schroeder

Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler - Carlson

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Obviously I'm not saying we ever do this - we firstly shouldn't trade our better goalie right now, Carlson is far from a great top pairing defenceman and we would have no backup goalie (Lack is nowhere near ready), but just using this as an example.

If we do trade a goalie, we might as well mix up our defence while we get a good forward and package a D-man.

Archived