23 replies to this topic

#1 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

With Ruff getting fired today and some other guys probably getting close, at what point do teams start looking at Rick Bowness as an option?

He has more experience as a head coach than most options out there and has done a great job as an assistant with the Canucks. One would imagine he would like another shot at running his own team (that is not to say he is desperate to get out of here).

I can't imagine MG holding him back if a team asked for permission to talk to him about the opportunity, maybe more realistic in the summer than mid-season.

I couldn't find any articles asking Bowness about his future as a head coach again.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#2 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

If Bowness gets a shot it should be on this team, he has done a great job and very well spoken with the media which is important in Van
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#3 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

My guess is that we will have Bowness for as long as we have AV. One day, AV will be gone and if it's an off-season move they will probably clean house so that the new head coach can select his own assistant coaches.

Juts a guess though.
Posted Image

#4 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

If Bowness gets a shot it should be on this team, he has done a great job and very well spoken with the media which is important in Van

I certainly like the idea of keeping him, and if AV ever gets dumped it is a nice option to have to slide right in there.

I wonder if he has personal reasons for wanting to stay in Vancouver... maybe the desire to win a cup right now exceeds the desire to try to take a bottom feeding team on and improve them.

#5 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

With Ruff getting fired today and some other guys probably getting close, at what point do teams start looking at Rick Bowness as an option?

He has more experience as a head coach than most options out there and has done a great job as an assistant with the Canucks. One would imagine he would like another shot at running his own team (that is not to say he is desperate to get out of here).

I can't imagine MG holding him back if a team asked for permission to talk to him about the opportunity, maybe more realistic in the summer than mid-season.

I couldn't find any articles asking Bowness about his future as a head coach again.

Hodgson for negotiating rights with Bowness.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#6 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV. As fans we don't know the internal dynamic of how and why the team is coached the way it is.

Ruff was good enough to coach for Canada internationally but I guess after 16 years the message gets stale, especially when you're losing.

Maybe Cody's Dad made a call? Sorry but I couldn't resist it!

#7 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV. As fans we don't know the internal dynamic of how and why the team is coached the way it is.

Ruff was good enough to coach for Canada internationally but I guess after 16 years the message gets stale, especially when you're losing.

Maybe Cody's Dad made a call? Sorry but I couldn't resist it!

lol, too bad Cody was just put on WAIVERS!!!

Cody McCormick, that is :bigblush:
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#8 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think Bowness will be around for a long time to come. So well spoken, clearly very happy here and loyal to the club.

Keswho.jpg

#9 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting we dump him. I am saying Bowness is good enough that other teams should be calling and enquiring about his availability.

#10 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

"Maybe Cody's Dad made a call? Sorry but I couldn't resist it!"

Priceless!!

#11 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hodgson's dad rumoured to be Buffalo's next coach!!

#12 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

It's a shame Gillis wasn't able to tolerate listening to phone calls:

17gp 7g 8a 15 pts Cody
15gp 1 g 13 a 14 pts Hank
13 gp 2g 2a 4 pts Jordan
15 gp 1g 2 a 3 pts Lappy

#13 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

17gp 7g 8a 15 pts Cody
13 gp 2g 2a 4 pts Jordan
15 gp 1g 2 a 3 pts Lappy

Wow... turning a Rick Bowness is a great coach thread into whinging about trading Cody Hodgson.... well done. I also note your sig whining about Luongo being named captain. Yeesh, move on and get a life... or find a team that you have less baggage about.

Clearly you would have made the Canucks President's trophy winners repeatedly if you were in charge.

#14 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Our defence need Bowness gone. Please someone make him an offer he can't refuse.
Posted Image

#15 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Im sure assistants get asked about their future plans from time to time.

It seems like its a fraternity. With more and more ex-players populating NHL head offices, im sure Bones gets a call from old friends asking if he will ever be a head coach again, maybe he doesnt get inquiries.

Chances are, when the day comes and AV moves on, Bones will be with him.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Our defence need Bowness gone. Please someone make him an offer he can't refuse.

And include "nuck nit" in the package .. he can do Bowness' media relations work ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#17 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

And include "nuck nit" in the package .. he can do Bowness' media relations work ..

Lol. That might be a deal breaker, might have to add some Timbits and a double double to sweeten the deal (with a conditional splitting of the prize if the roll-up-rim-to-win cup is a winner).
Posted Image

#18 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hodgson for negotiating rights with Bowness.

how bout hodgson the lazy whiner stays where he is

#19 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

17gp 7g 8a 15 pts Cody
13 gp 2g 2a 4 pts Jordan
15 gp 1g 2 a 3 pts Lappy

Pretty sure if Dale Weise was playing with Vanek - He'd have approx 20-25 points

#20 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

From what i have seen sadly i would have to agree. Our defense seems to have underacheived far too often and rarely at their best.

I wonder sometimes watching and listening to Bowness interviews if he over coaches and over complicates things.

With the way the guy rambles on and on i am thinking that may be a problem and i wouldn't be surprised if the defense tunes him out.

Edited by The Big Luongo, 21 February 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#21 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I've wanted Bowness and Brown gone since the midway point of last season. Bowness has messed up what should be an All-Star defence pretty badly by putting what would have been a Norris candidate on the right side where he's least comfortable and ruined his defensive game.

Our defence is the most inconsistent part of our team and you can thank Bowness directly for that. His style clearly isn't sitting well with our defence who should play much more physical and solid defensively with less bad pinching. The defenders haven't adapted well to the pinching, gambling style of play and it's been several seasons. Good offences and great coaches have exploited this stupid system time and time again - Claude Julien, Suter and Quineville have ripped apart this joke of a defensive style and will continue to do so until Bowness changes his philosophy or leaves.

As for Newell Brown, he has the single-best powerplay unit to work with in the NHL. I wager no 5 man unit has more skill, size and shooting ability than the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Garrison. Tampa Bay's 5 man squad comes close but their passing is nowhere near as good as the Sedins. We have more weapons than anyone else, even our 2nd unit is scary, yet Brown has wasted our talent. Penalty killing is the same - a former Selke winner and the best goalie tandem in the league and our PK has been brutal all season long.

The Canucks need a change of assistant coaches, give them a shot as a head coach for all I care. They don't deserve it but it'll better our team.
Posted Image

#22 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,122 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well the common thread on why we wouldn't fire AV is there was no one out there that would seem to be a better option.
Ruff might not be a better option. It just might mean a different option if management thinks the team is tuning out the current coaching staff.

Ruff certainly has a good reputation throughout the league. Ruff has had only two losing seasons in 16 years.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#23 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I've wanted Bowness and Brown gone since the midway point of last season. Bowness has messed up what should be an All-Star defence pretty badly by putting what would have been a Norris candidate on the right side where he's least comfortable and ruined his defensive game.

Our defence is the most inconsistent part of our team and you can thank Bowness directly for that. His style clearly isn't sitting well with our defence who should play much more physical and solid defensively with less bad pinching. The defenders haven't adapted well to the pinching, gambling style of play and it's been several seasons. Good offences and great coaches have exploited this stupid system time and time again - Claude Julien, Suter and Quineville have ripped apart this joke of a defensive style and will continue to do so until Bowness changes his philosophy or leaves.

As for Newell Brown, he has the single-best powerplay unit to work with in the NHL. I wager no 5 man unit has more skill, size and shooting ability than the Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Garrison. Tampa Bay's 5 man squad comes close but their passing is nowhere near as good as the Sedins. We have more weapons than anyone else, even our 2nd unit is scary, yet Brown has wasted our talent. Penalty killing is the same - a former Selke winner and the best goalie tandem in the league and our PK has been brutal all season long.

The Canucks need a change of assistant coaches, give them a shot as a head coach for all I care. They don't deserve it but it'll better our team.

My caveat when discussing Van coaching is that fans have no real idea of what goes on behind closed doors. But let that not stop our speculation.

No matter what the skill that exists on the blue line Van's approach to the game, going back to the WCE, has been 'run & gun,. In the last 4 years this has morphed into a 'puck possession - transition' game. Since the Naslund - Beertuzzi era, the team has enjoyed the Sedin era. Most decisions have been based on what support was required for the Twin's success and deductively the Canuck success. In both 'eras' defence had been sacrificed for offence until recently (4 seasons?) To some extent the hostility towards Lou in some Van circles was his challenge that hockey knowledge was questionable when he first arrived. He questioned his responsibility for goals scored after brutal d-zone coverage breakdowns.

Perhaps my musings go beyond coaching and up to the GM and even ownership. What type of product does the org want on the ice? Does the type of play the Twins excel at yield CUP winning hockey? Has the org done a good enough job at complimenting what the Twins have to offer? I suggest not. Gillis is the best GM the org has had IMHO but the jury is still out as to whether is ultimate success will be a CUP. Without a doubt he has changed the 'attitude' within the org and the image it projects.

#24 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

hope bowness stays here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.