The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Long will we have Bowness?

Provost

With Ruff getting fired today and some other guys probably getting close, at what point do teams start looking at Rick Bowness as an option?

He has more experience as a head coach than most options out there and has done a great job as an assistant with the Canucks. One would imagine he would like another shot at running his own team (that is not to say he is desperate to get out of here).

I can't imagine MG holding him back if a team asked for permission to talk to him about the opportunity, maybe more realistic in the summer than mid-season.

I couldn't find any articles asking Bowness about his future as a head coach again.

With Ruff getting fired today and some other guys probably getting close, at what point do teams start looking at Rick Bowness as an option?

He has more experience as a head coach than most options out there and has done a great job as an assistant with the Canucks. One would imagine he would like another shot at running his own team (that is not to say he is desperate to get out of here).

I can't imagine MG holding him back if a team asked for permission to talk to him about the opportunity, maybe more realistic in the summer than mid-season.

I couldn't find any articles asking Bowness about his future as a head coach again.

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV. As fans we don't know the internal dynamic of how and why the team is coached the way it is.

Ruff was good enough to coach for Canada internationally but I guess after 16 years the message gets stale, especially when you're losing.

Maybe Cody's Dad made a call? Sorry but I couldn't resist it!

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV. As fans we don't know the internal dynamic of how and why the team is coached the way it is.

Ruff was good enough to coach for Canada internationally but I guess after 16 years the message gets stale, especially when you're losing.

Maybe Cody's Dad made a call? Sorry but I couldn't resist it!

As quickly as many fans dump on AV I always think about where he started from player wise and where the club is today. Easy to be impatient and the reality is that the clock is always ticking. When I think of Bowness I always think of Alex Edler. It might not be fair but if Edler doesn't reach the next level do you blame coaching and if so Bowness or AV.

Im sure assistants get asked about their future plans from time to time.

It seems like its a fraternity. With more and more ex-players populating NHL head offices, im sure Bones gets a call from old friends asking if he will ever be a head coach again, maybe he doesnt get inquiries.

Chances are, when the day comes and AV moves on, Bones will be with him.

Archived