The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Tragically Hip fans

whcanuck

For all you Tragically Hip fans out there, what are your top 5 songs by them that aren't singles or did not receive radio play. Basically songs that aren't well known by them. Here are mine, in no particular order

Yawning or Snarling (from Day for Night), Lionized (from Fully Completely), It Can't Be Nashville Every Night (from In Between Evolution), On the Verge (from Road Apples), 700 ft. Ceiling (from Trouble at the Henhouse)

Interested to see what your guys' picks are.

The Hip rock!

Well, they're no Static X... (lol)

1. Little Bones

2. Three Pistols

3. Fiddler's Green

4. Wheat Kings

5. Hundredth Meridian

6. Locked in the Trunk of a Car

7. New Orleans is Sinking

8. Blow at High Dough

9. Trickle Down

10. Nautical Disaster

11. Grace, Too

12. Ahead by a Century

13. Bobcaygeon

14. The Darkest One

15. Lake Fever

16. In View

There's of course more on the first 3 albums, but this represents their finest work, imho.

You must have trouble reading. Here I'll help...it's in the first line. "for Tragically Hip fans"

Amazing music, amazing writing by Gord Downie and the rest of the band. ^ this guy up here seems to also have trouble with his hearing, I guess it's a tough life if you don't weaken!

-It's a good life if you don't weaken

-Gus the polar bear

-Thugs

-The Luxury

-Family Band

All time favorite is: Nautical Disaster

What a masterpiece!

Of course it is! it also happens to be the Whinest song of them all. Hey if you like that nasaly brand of singing thats up to you but if you truly like that song you must record babies crying in movie theaters and on airplanes because that is pretty much on par with that crap.

Cordelia x 100000000, WhenThe Weight Comes Down, Gus, Long Time Running, Fiddlers Green (yep, I like Road Apples), I'll Believe In You

Love the Hip. Was almost crushed to death in the front row of their concert once, but I love the Hip.

My other favs that are more well known: Nautical Disaster (right Bob?), Blow At High Dough, Locked In The Trunk Of A Car, Wheat Kings, Pigeon Camera, Bobcaygeon, Looking For A Place To Happen.

Some of my favourite stepper music. :)

Aladeen: so what music are you into?

And that's one of my favourite lines, RIR....IAGLIYDW :) A beautiful song. Yep, add that to my list.

No singles eh? Hmm I'll go chronological I guess...

Road Apples:

-Cordelia

-The Luxury

-Fiddler's Green

Fully Completely:

-Wheat Kings

Day For Night:

-Yawning or Snarling

-Inevitability of Death ( "I thought you beat the death of inevitability to death just a little bit" is probably one of my all time favourite Hip lyrics...and must be a bitch to sing and not screw up...lol)

-Titanic Terrarium

-Impossibilium

Trouble at the Henhouse

-Butts Wigglin

-Coconut Cream

-Let's stay Engaged

-Sherpa

-Put it off

Phantom Power:

-Thompson Girl

-Rules

-Chagrin Falls

-Escape Is At Hand For The Travelin' Man

-Emperor Penguin

Music @ Work

-Stay

-Sharks

-As I Wind Down The Pines

In Violet Light:

-Throwing Off Glass

-All Tore Up

-Leave

-The Dire Wolf

In Between Evolution:

-Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park

-Are We Family

-Goodnight Josephine

World Container:

-The Kids Don't Get It

-Pretend

Haven't bought their last couple albums...so I can't comment on them.

I must double post and tell you this story too.

My daughter was just in San Fran visiting some friends down there before Christmas. Friend says to her "hey, wanna go to a show tonight?...it's really cheap ($25) and it's a Canadian band...I don't know them, but my friends say they're good and they're all going". He couldn't remember the name.

So she gets ready and they head to The Fillmore.

And she was floored when The Hip walked out on the stage!

We love them. She called me every song and put her phone in the air for me to hear. And she brought me a very cool shirt. So talk about one of life's unexpected little treats....she'd always wanted to see them (her brother and I both have), so she had her moment. Got some GREAT pics...I'll post a few later (at work now).

I met them... I wanna say around 2000/Music @ Work tour I think...though it could have been Phantom Power and a year or two earlier.

Went to go see them at the Moore Theatre in Seattle (great little venue FWIW). We met them outside after on the way back to their bus. They were all more than cordial but Gord lingered the longest and was the friendliest. I was surprised at how he seemed so reserved, almost shy. Quite the polar opposite to his onstage persona! Super friendly though and chatted and answered questions, seemed quite down to earth.

Archived