The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The more shootouts I see, the more I support a 3 point win system.

WiDeN

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am not in opposition to shootouts, but I don't think that a shootout win should have as much impact on the standings as a regulation or OT win. I realize that adopting a 3 point win system will make regular season statistical comparisons less relevant, but I do think goals during the game need to be rewarded more than the shootout. I notice overtime looks rather defensive, and I think that this would create a little more urgency and excitement without sacrificing league parity.

What do you think?

I like it.

That way, all the games would be 3 point games, rather than having some 2 point games and some 3 point games like it is now. Plus, losing in the shootout and only getting 1 of 3 points is how it should be. You get something but it's less than a half win. Also, winning in the shootout isn't worth as much as a regulation/OT win.

as canucks fans, I'm sure we all wish that the concept of the 'shootout' was never conceived, never existed in the first place and the whole idea was wiped from the face of this earth!

however, the whole sideshow of the shootout is good for the league, it's entertaining and fun, and is here to stay. i don't see the league switching up the points format, rewarding 3 points for a regulation/OT win would get too confusing for fans, make the standings way too unpredictable ... no other pro sports league has four possible point amounts (3, 2, 1, 0) a team can walk away from a game with.

I agree 100%. It's just retarded the way it is now, and if you think that's bad wait until there are about 10 games left. Pretty much every other game will end in ties.

Only in the NHL could you lose every single hockey game all year and still make the playoffs. This league is dumb, it actually rewards the teams for tying as the game becomes worth 3 points instead of 2.

Hate the shootout. I guess I'm a little biased as a Nucks fan, but still. I don't like the concept that a game (or sometimes when theres more at stake) can come down to 3 or 4 shooters that have fancy skills. Hockey is a team game.

Maybe 5 minutes 4-4 and if thats not resolved 3-3?

Like basketball and baseball. 2 points for a win, whether it's in regulation or overtime. 0 points for a loss, whether it's in regulation or overtime.

What is the point in providing a weird incentive to go to overtime?

There's 82 games in a season. People won't jump off bridges if the team has nothing to show for a regular season game that went past 60 minutes.

Guest Gumballthechewy

If regulation ends in a tie you should get one full period of overtime to settle it and that's it, if no one scores then it ends in a tie with one point each.

Nice and simple.

Archived