The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Yeah well its not that simple.

We were up 3-2 even though Lou, amongst others, turned in bad games in Boston. Realistically, we started the series with Kesler playing on crutches, Samuelsson gone and Manny still out. By game 6, we were also missing Rome, Hamhuis, Raymond, the Twins playing hurt, Salo unable to hold his stick, who am I missing? Some teams are cup teams because they are great teams, and some (lets call them nearly great) need a superstar to step forward, ala Crosby, Roy, Dryden...

Well our team was too broken down to expect the goals you speak of. To my mind, if we were to win, Lou had to steal us a game. Do you reckon I'm holding him to a higher standard hoping that would happen?

In my mind; doing so was fair. He held us ransom for virtually the largest goalie contract in history. On day dot; Luongo was the highest paid player in the world at $10 mill. If there was a guy it was fair to expect to be our superstar, it was Lou!

But Lou was also part of the problem, yeah scoring and other bits dried up as our match ups crumbled with injuries. In game 4 if I recall, after a forward coughed the puck, and Bieksa, then Salo both let Marchand walk around them, he flopped and Marchand scored a heartbreaking dagger. And you could see the bench drop their heads. Lou was a sieve, as much as the team around him, same in game 6 after not having his tires pumped. You could tell he was mentally out of it, and the 4 goals he let in in game 7 gave no one any hope that fighting through it would get anywhere.

The team lost, but as the highest paid player in the world, I would like to think Lou could have stole us a game in Boston...

Goaltending chokers don't bring their non-scoring team to a SCF game 7.

This was answered already for careful observers.

1)

Against Chicago, who both fore-checked heavily and clogged the neutral zone; we could not get up ice, because we have no puck rushing D. We spent our whole game defending not attacking because we could not gain the offensive zone and coughed it up. How many times did one of our stud left handed D muck up playing the back hand on their off side?

Compounding the question, 2 weeks ago I posted concern; what happens if Bieksa, our only right handed D with any semblance of shot and rushing the puck gets hurt? Look what happened against Detroit, without Bieksa that equation got substantially worse! I stopped counting at 10 neutral zone give away's in period 2.

Our first need is a right handed puck moving D.

2)

I also asked last week, poetically it was responded to within minutes; what happens if Hansen or Kassian goes down? Well Hansen was suspended, and Kass gave away the puck 3 times in the first period so AV benches him. Voila, we had Weise, yes Weise, playing with Higgins and Kesler.

We need a quality depth RW! (I got laughed at for proposing Boyes be the roster throw in, in an Islanders swap).

3) A big centreman!

No explanation needed.

All three have these issues have been exposed literally every time we have played quality opposition.

If all we're going to get is prospects; no reason not to wait till the off season.

Looks solid but how did we get these trades

WSH

Brouwer

Forsberg

3rd

Van

Luongo

Schreoder

Buf

Ott

Vancouver

Raymond

3rd

????

Lately I really don't see what deals there could be for any goalie. I don't see teams trading away this years 1st with such deep draft. WSH is basically out of contention and will need to go on a huge run (19-9-3) in remain 31 games to squeak into playoffs with 54 points. i don't see them trading a 1st. Goalies value sucks right now.

On top of that what does this team desperately need this year. (other than a coach....) We have an abundance of solid 3rd liners (Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Schroeder, Raymond, Weise) Some better than others. Are D, on paper are solid, we already spend 23 mil. I just don't know what this team needs to go after and where the player will fit in. Should we go after pure prospects, Forsberg, Bjugstad.

The sooner we can unload Luongo the better return we will get. Teams in the summer will understand we will be pushed up against the cap and will be able to use that against us.

As much as I would like carlson I don't see WSH trading him away. This biggest problem in WSH hasn't been goaltending (hasn't been great but not the main problem) its been there D" and the amount of penalties. I don't see them filling one whole and creating another by trading away their best D this year.

I do like the grab to get nino and unload some cap space.

Per Bruce Garrioch: Capitals GM George McPhee is working the phones and could look to free up money by trading Troy Brouwer ($2.35 million through 2015-16), Joel Ward ($3 million through 2014-15) and Jason Chimera ($1.75 through 2013-14).

cmon oldnews, i think your grossly undervaluing JT here. he should be the equivelant of a norris winner in a couple years. We're talking about a guy that has a potential ceiling of best player in the league when he reaches his prime. Developed under us, he may actually reach it.

obviously that package would be hard to swallow (no homo lol) but imo getting a 22yr old john tavares would be a no brainer.

This was answered already for careful observers.

1)

Against Chicago, who both fore-checked heavily and clogged the neutral zone; we could not get up ice, because we have no puck rushing D. We spent our whole game defending not attacking because we could not gain the offensive zone and coughed it up. How many times did one of our stud left handed D muck up playing the back hand on their off side?

Compounding the question, 2 weeks ago I posted concern; what happens if Bieksa, our only right handed D with any semblance of shot and rushing the puck gets hurt? Look what happened against Detroit, without Bieksa that equation got substantially worse! I stopped counting at 10 neutral zone give away's in period 2.

Our first need is a right handed puck moving D.

2)

I also asked last week, poetically it was responded to within minutes; what happens if Hansen or Kassian goes down? Well Hansen was suspended, and Kass gave away the puck 3 times in the first period so AV benches him. Voila, we had Weise, yes Weise, playing with Higgins and Kesler.

We need a quality depth RW! (I got laughed at for proposing Boyes be the roster throw in, in an Islanders swap).

3) A big centreman!

No explanation needed.

All three have these issues have been exposed literally every time we have played quality opposition.

If all we're going to get is prospects; no reason not to wait till the off season.

Looks solid but how did we get these trades

WSH

Brouwer

Forsberg

3rd

Van

Luongo

Schreoder

Buf

Ott

Vancouver

Raymond

3rd

????

Lately I really don't see what deals there could be for any goalie. I don't see teams trading away this years 1st with such deep draft. WSH is basically out of contention and will need to go on a huge run (19-9-3) in remain 31 games to squeak into playoffs with 54 points. i don't see them trading a 1st. Goalies value sucks right now.

On top of that what does this team desperately need this year. (other than a coach....) We have an abundance of solid 3rd liners (Higgins, Hansen, Kassian, Schroeder, Raymond, Weise) Some better than others. Are D, on paper are solid, we already spend 23 mil. I just don't know what this team needs to go after and where the player will fit in. Should we go after pure prospects, Forsberg, Bjugstad.

The sooner we can unload Luongo the better return we will get. Teams in the summer will understand we will be pushed up against the cap and will be able to use that against us.

As much as I would like carlson I don't see WSH trading him away. This biggest problem in WSH hasn't been goaltending (hasn't been great but not the main problem) its been there D" and the amount of penalties. I don't see them filling one whole and creating another by trading away their best D this year.

I do like the grab to get nino and unload some cap space.

I have to whole heartedly agree with you on this one, Surfer. Truth is, Boyes wouldn't be a bad depth addition. We need another RW. I still prefer Brouwer because of his physicality and his cup experience, but it wouldn't be bad.

I feel this Canuck defense is coming to a crossroad. The team needs to figure this left sided issue out. I kind of feel like MG got owned by signing Garrison. Not because he isn't good, but we thought he could play the right side. He is still better than Ballard, but now we have 4 good left sided D that can play top 4 minutes. I just wish the team utelized Garrison better. If and when he is getting powerplay minutes, he isn't getting a pass. He has just been there to keep the puck in for the Sedins cycle game. Teams cheat down low because the puck isn't getting thrown back to the point as much. The Garrison point shot should be there to keep the opposing teams honest and to open up room for the Sedins. The second half of the season when Garrison played for Florida, he only scored 3 goals, because people knew to check him because if you don't, you will get burned. They didn't really have to worry about the pop gun forwards up front. Check the back end and the offense goes down. You can't do that with the Sedins though, which is supposed to make our powerplay that much more scary.

I guess the point I am trying to make is "How are we going to utilize Garrison properly?" If he isn't going to be on the powerplay, unloading the big shot, we won't be able to get away with two lesser right side defensemen. So there are a couple options:

A: do what we can to get that stud defenseman that can play on the right side with Edler. Almost certainly it would have to involve one of our goaltenders.

B: Groom Tanev to be a top 4 who rushes the puck up. Play him beside Edler and eventually he will get it. He does have the poise. Not good with him being in the bottom 2 pairing though. He is consistent and steady, but 9/10 you want your bottom 2 to be physical and hard on the opposition. So we need to decide whether to have him in the top 4 or involve him in a trade for a great right sided guy.

C: move Ballard for a right sided guy who plays physical, but is probably a lesser defenseman. This guy would play with Garrison most likely.

D: And this one will probably get alot of people antsy, but move Edler. I really wish MG moved him for Subban. Obviously would want a lil bit more coming our way, but still. He brings it every night, is physical, and has one hell of a shot!!! Garrison-Subban pairing *Drool* , I could live with that. Anyways, if we moved Edler for that stud right sided guy, whether it be Carlson, Green, Wiesnewski, Gudbranson, Brent Burns when he comes back from injury. Maybe even Eric Johnson and Tyson Barrie, if we could pull them out of Colorado, using just Edler. Highly doubtful, but any one of those combinations I would probably not lose sleep over if we could get that stud to play the right side.

Great post. Does Edler have a NTC? Moving Edler is a leap but in the end might be necessary. I expected a more rounded game from him this year and have yet to see it. We have all seen enough flashes of what he could be but the consistancy is lacking. It is why I sometimes wonder what coaching he is getting. His age still warrants a wait and see. The old saying of 'you have to give something to get something' might be true in this case.

That's what I was thinking. Edler's no trade doesn't kick in til next season. This the last year of his original contract. If he were able to adapt to the right side, I would say great! Keep him, we will do fine. We all saw that game yesterday though.... Too many defensemen playing the side they aren't comfortable with. We have 4 top 4 left sided defensemen. One of them has to go. The team needs to decide which way to go with this though.... And I hate to say it, but the most logical choice seems to be to trade Edler or one of the goalies.

Archived