The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

So does anybody think it's odd the Panthers have 2 healthy goalies, yet they call up their rookie goalie (Markstrom) - then send him back down only 2 games later? This is a team that's been linked to Luongo for almost a year now, guys like Dreger have stated they are the frontrunners for him.

Talons comments when Markstrom was recalled: Link

“I’m not happy. It’s a critical part of the season and every game’s important,” Tallon said. “We need to cut our goals against down. It’s time. He’s played great down there and it’s time to see what he can do. I’m not going to sit still and allow this to continue.

“We need him to come up and play like he’s capable of playing and I’m very confident that he can do that. … The competition will maybe force some guys to pick up their games a little bit.”

So does anybody think it's odd the Panthers have 2 healthy goalies, yet they call up their rookie goalie (Markstrom) - then send him back down only 2 games later? This is a team that's been linked to Luongo for almost a year now, guys like Dreger have stated they are the frontrunners for him.

Talons comments when Markstrom was recalled: Link

2 games - 2 loses and 6 goals against then Markstroms sent back down. Does anyone else get the feeling the next step Tallon will take is to acquire Luongo?

So, thinking of the potential trade places for Luongo - the main 3 being WAS, FLA, and TOR - and I can't see any of these teams trading for Luongo with where they stand now. I mean Toronto could very well see it's first playoff birth since 2 CBAs ago, which makes acquiring Luongo less of a need and more of an option. Florida could be content to tank, as their roster is made almost entirely of young guys getting their first NHL experience, it's hard to believe that they had their eyes on the post season when their in the process of developing so many guys. Washington has been rumoured to be dumping cap - possibly to attract free agents during the summer, and/or to tank this season and take a high first. Philly is off of the table as Bryz has been excellent, so where do you guys get the notion that he'll be moved this season - if at all?

So, thinking of the potential trade places for Luongo - the main 3 being WAS, FLA, and TOR - and I can't see any of these teams trading for Luongo with where they stand now. I mean Toronto could very well see it's first playoff birth since 2 CBAs ago, which makes acquiring Luongo less of a need and more of an option. Florida could be content to tank, as their roster is made almost entirely of young guys getting their first NHL experience, it's hard to believe that they had their eyes on the post season when their in the process of developing so many guys. Washington has been rumoured to be dumping cap - possibly to attract free agents during the summer, and/or to tank this season and take a high first. Philly is off of the table as Bryz has been excellent, so where do you guys get the notion that he'll be moved this season - if at all?

I have to admit; I checked Washington's standings again before I started this reply! :P

Yip; things swing up and down. Its why GM MG is a bonus, because he does not panic. And what many expected has not transpired, so we could assume the market has not changed?

Well; Washington is better than their results. I fully expect them to make a move in the standings. If they do, and they do it in spite of their goal tending ( a fair guess, I've watched 6 or 7 of their games in all but one it was a let down), I expect them to be in the market.

Toronto? Lets go out on a limb,its actually credible but I still blink suggesting, and say they make the play off's? Will they go with two (fundamentally)rookie goalies considering the pressure to finally get somewhere? Think about it... Kessell played like crap to start and Lupul is injured and they're still making a play? T.O. fans will want a long dance with at least a grope!

:bigblush:

(here's hoping Nonis has a perv, but???)

Florida? Really depends on Markstrom's; but I don't see them going anywhere. So Markstrom gets a good look, and if he flops this is a draft day option...

So I don't discount there will be a market. I think Tampa will certainly be looking as well, so I see Tampa and Washington. But it will be a different market.

I see it as hockey trades for our overstocked pantry in left wingers and left D going with Lou, who himself will be traded for futures. Will someone cough up a right shot superlative D for Lou and Ballard? A big, fast, top 6 RW??

If not, then it will be in summer!

It sounds like Stephen Weiss isn't exactly thrilled with his situation in Florida (the panthers aren't thrilled with him either). I could see him as a guy who is a top 6 center who slots into the third center spot. He can also anchor the 2nd unit pp and kill penalties as well. If he could be part of a proposed deal that would great. I doubt he would be the main piece considering his contact is up but having a great veteran who has but up points would be a bonus. Plus his value hasn't exactly increased since the beginning of the season.

It sounds like Stephen Weiss isn't exactly thrilled with his situation in Florida (the panthers aren't thrilled with him either). I could see him as a guy who is a top 6 center who slots into the third center spot. He can also anchor the 2nd unit pp and kill penalties as well. If he could be part of a proposed deal that would great. I doubt he would be the main piece considering his contact is up but having a great veteran who has but up points would be a bonus. Plus his value hasn't exactly increased since the beginning of the season.

Florida is 5 points out of the lead in their division, and five points from the 8th spot, also a team in their division. Washington is 6 back. These teams are nowhere near about to pack it in, decide to tank, or mail in their seasons. 5 or 6 points can be made up in a 10 game stretch, particularly when they're chasing mediocre hockey teams. Florida is finally getting healthy after missing Versteeg, Gudbranson, Goc, Jovanovski, Upshall...

Three of the Canucks most rumoured trade partners have also given up the most goals in the NHL - I don't see this as the point at which it is assumed the Canucks don't cut a deal this season... Those fanbases all watched playoff games last season... If anything, things have been working out favourably for MG.

Florida is 5 points out of the lead in their division, and five points from the 8th spot, also a team in their division. Washington is 6 back. These teams are nowhere near about to pack it in, decide to tank, or mail in their seasons. 5 or 6 points can be made up in a 10 game stretch, particularly when they're chasing mediocre hockey teams. Florida is finally getting healthy after missing Versteeg, Gudbranson, Goc, Jovanovski, Upshall...

Three of the Canucks most rumoured trade partners have also given up the most goals in the NHL - I don't see this as the point at which it is assumed the Canucks don't cut a deal this season... Those fanbases all watched playoff games last season... If anything, things have been working out favourably for MG.

Archived