The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

That's the problem. Our prospects get so underrated because they're question marks to most people. It's harder for alot of people, even analysts, to determine how prospects are doing anywhere other than in the CHL.

CHL prospects always get way more hype, which is why our prospect pool is never regarded very highly. We only have 3 prospects in the CHL right now.

But we do have alot of prospects that were and are top young players in their leagues. McNally, Tommernes, Labate, Price, Blomstrand, Andersson, Hutton and Cannata, were all top young players on their teams. And a few of them are still regarded as some of the best young players in their respective leagues.

From what I've seen, it's both.

Skill wise he doesn't command the puck. He doesn't fool defenders. He isn't a plus skater. He isn't a great passer. His on ice vision is average. His two step quickness is concerning. His reach and ability to protect the puck are his two greatest strengths.

If he had that determined streak, as I think we will see in Gaunce for example, then I think he could compensate for some of jus deficiencies as 'Will' is an equalizing factor in puck battles. If he had it he could control the puck more and dictate the play but right now he is uninspiring.

There are some players you'd like to strap to a chair and beat with a stick just to get some emotion and drive out of them. Colborne is one of those guys. I can imagine his past team mates who are skilled but will never get the chance because if their size would like to smack him upside the head. If you could put Brendan Gallagher's heart into Colborne's body you'd have a player.

Until any of them make it I remain dubious and I've seen a few of them play.

I won't ever bet against guys I don't know well but I also will not assume you have something until you do.

I've been around this merry-go-round many times over the years and there is always a reason to give an 18-22 year old some slack while you wait for development. Nonetheless, every organization hopes they've got a sleeper but so few actually wind up being so. In the case of the Canucks our record is as bad as they come in that regard. Maybe things have changed? Lets wait and see. Until it does, it hasn't.

Yep, can't really argue with that. I can't claim that any of them will make the NHL with 100% certainty, just that they all are still promising prospects.

Which IMO is a change from the past, where we drafted busts right off the get go that never really showed any upside.

I will say that I strongly believe that it's not a matter of if but when Cannata and Andersson play in the NHL though. Both of these players transitioned into the AHL almost seamlessly, which is a great sign.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23062/rumblings-leafs-canucks-renew-luongo-talks

Last week in Phoenix when the Canucks were in town there, Vancouver assistant GM Laurence Gilman met with his old pal and mentor Cliff Fletcher, senior adviser with the Leafs. Those two guys talk all the time but, on this occasion, Fletcher revisited the Luongo dialogue with Gilman.

That conversation between Gilman and Fletcher sparked Vancouver GM Mike Gillis to follow up and phone Toronto GM Dave Nonis this past week to further explore those talks.

This in itself is a story because Gillis and Nonis, I don’t believe, have ever spoken to each other regarding any trade, as some ill will existed after the former replaced the latter as GM in Vancouver. Usually it’s been other members of each front office communicating on Luongo, not Gillis and Nonis straight on. So that’s perhaps an important shift in this story.

Gillis and Nonis spoke this week and, while there’s no deal that’s imminent and there may never be a deal, it certainly appears there’s groundwork built here for the two teams to keep tabs on this until Wednesday.

Nonis has always kept interest in Luongo, whom he traded for in Vancouver when he was GM, but talks went silent between both clubs for quite a while until last week.

It was predictable both clubs would eventually circle back to each other, the Leafs always being the most obvious fit for Luongo.

One source told ESPN.com Friday that two other NHL teams have also called on Luongo over the past week. Though how serious that interest is remains difficult to ascertain.

The Islanders make more sense than the Leafs - let the Leafs ride Reimer or go after Kipprusoff. Long Island has no goaltender going forward - Dipietro is buyout contender #1, and buried, no one expects the cap circumvention Thomas to actually show up in NY, and Nabokov is a 37 year old UFA.  

Two notes; Huet is of course a free agent. No charge other than contract. So does that mean framework to move a goalie is in place?

But playing in Europe, I'm pretty sure he has to clear waivers. It's almost like you have to pay him a decent wage so he clears waivers to sctually get him to make it through???

Is that what you mean by underpayment... :blink:

I first broke this rumour late last season(not to be a braggart, but...), apparently it's now resurfacing, pending AND intoxicating. After completing a stellar stint over in Europe, Van is said to be "hotly pursuing" Cristobal Huet-yes, it's amazing, isn't it..?

This breakthrough offers papers the potentially tantalizing headline: "Huet, Lou-Is In The News!"

Underpayment?

According to LeBrun:

"Those two guys talk all the time but, on this occasion, Fletcher revisited the Luongo dialogue with Gilman."

So for all the whining about Gillis initiating a conversation with Nonis, as if he's desperate, the truth would appear to be that Fletcher initiated the latest talks...

So the question becomes - "if the Canucks are willing to lower the price tag somewhat on Luongo"....

What exactly is the asking price that need be lowered? (Rhetorical question - no need for folks here to come back with an answer pretending to know.)

Archived